Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Record Store Day

Go down 
+14
nevermore
tohostudios
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Required Fields
Gilbert
Lari
Witchfinder
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
18 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 am

Personally, I am not excited about it as I have no desire to stand in line for 3 hours for the opportunity to buy a numbered item from an artist I could care less about. I haven't cared or made an effort to get there reasonably early since 2015. This was also the last year that my local chain had a sale that made it worthwhile and didn't push useless items on me. I will go, but it will be later in the day and with little to no expectations.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 am

The stores that participate in Philadelphia are little indie places in the heart of the city. I have no desire to travel into the city on a Saturday morning for anything.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 am

Used to be cool but the one little store in town changed hands and they have no clue. Probably won't go unless I happen to be driving by for something else that day.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 am

I've never partaken (partook?) in RSD festivities. It seems to be aimed mainly at vinyl junkies and I don't collect vinyl.

It would probably be nice to drop by one of the few record stores left on that day, just to hang out and soak up the music nerd atmosphere for a while though (not to mention, relive the days when record stores were always crowded on a Saturday).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39550

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've never partaken (partook?) in RSD festivities. It seems to be aimed mainly at vinyl junkies and I don't collect vinyl.

Ditto. I always thought it would be cool to go and check it out but have never done it. Maybe if there would be something of interest to me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 12:42 pm

I remember wanting one of those Metallica - No Life Til Leather cassettes a few years back...
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm

It's a waste of time. You can get anything you want from RSD on ebay 10 mintues after RSD begins.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 pm

I like it. Lots of buzz. People.

I never seem to find anything worth buying though.

I'm picky as fuck. But that's not the fault of the RSD. I think RSD is a good thing, and nothing away from anyone.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 2:05 pm

My dream is to attend such event. Unfortunately, there is no love for records in my part of the world Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 6:45 pm

I've never taken part in such an event. It's cool that it exists, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 pm

I got some Slayer thing years ago. Can't remember if it was the Blood-Pack or some wacky 7". Shows you how much I care. And now, at least in the Twin Towns, it is wall-to-wall hipsters.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 9:57 pm

As always, thanks for the responses, brothers. I agree with WF, as I have bought more RSD exclusives online cheaper a year later than if I stood there like a jackass for 3-4 hours waiting to be herded like cattle.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 10:01 pm

I have never participated for the same reason FF states, I do not collect vinyl so I don't bother.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 10:07 pm

manny wrote:
I have never participated for the same reason FF states, I do not collect vinyl so I don't bother.

Same here.

In fact I buy so little music now that I can count the number of albums I've bought so far this year on two hands and the number of physical copies I've bought on ONE hand minus the thumb.

But I DO still miss the days of nothing to do so I'd wander into my local "ma & pa" record shop and check out the employees' recommendations on "listening posts". Man, I discovered and bought SO many albums from doing that and I really don't think there's an internet equivalent which probably is part of the reason I buy so little new music these days.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 pm

There was a cool atmosphere at well run indie music stores, even some chains were decent, that I miss. Now it's instant but sterile.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 11:07 pm

It's only vinyl? No cds?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25855

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Gilbert wrote:
It's only vinyl? No cds?

Yes, only vinyl. The thing that sucks about RSD is people take the stuff and flip it on ebay to make a quick profit. I usually do find a couple things I'd like to get I've went out for RSD. But nothing I feel I must stand in line 3 hours for. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2019 8:03 am

Sometimes they have CD's and cassettes but it is mainly vinyl. It has been a few years since I have gone to one. The last thing I bought was "Hendrix - Smash Hits" so whenever that one came out. I went to the record store, walked in (door was unlocked) and they said "Hey we are closed but since you are here you get first pick!". So they let me shop anyway and I was the only person there. The previous year there was a small line out the door. Picked up a few records then as well. In 2018 they had gone out of business so there was no RSD around here.... Then Hurricane Michael hit in Oct and now we have NO music stores, not a single one! We did have FYE in the mall but the storm wiped out the mall and they are going to tear it down with no plans to rebuild.

Target and Walmart were also messed up pretty bad by the storm. When they reopened they had one small section of CD's on an end cap. No music prescense whatsoever. Target had a couple of records and a few CD's but I guess my outlet for music these days is gonna have to be Amazon.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 am

The only time I was interested in a Record Day exclusive was a few years ago when the Foo Fighters released a vinyl-only compilation of cover songs they did over their career called Medium Rare. I eventually downloaded a poor quality version of it, but I'd still like it on cd. Or at least a better quality MP3 version.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:
manny wrote:

Same here.

In fact I buy so little music now that I can count the number of albums I've bought so far this year on two hands and the number of physical copies I've bought on ONE hand minus the thumb.  

But I DO still miss the days of nothing to do so I'd wander into my local "ma & pa" record shop and check out the employees' recommendations on "listening posts".  Man, I discovered and bought SO many albums from doing that and I really don't think there's an internet equivalent which probably is part of the reason I buy so little new music these days.

I think that is what's missing, Toho- there needs to be more emphasis on "store" and less on "record" in RSD. Also, adding in a second Black Friday RSD is asinine. As if there isn't enough rampant consumerism in our country already!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 pm

nevermore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
It's only vinyl? No cds?

Yes, only vinyl. The thing that sucks about RSD is people take the stuff and flip it on ebay to make a quick profit. I usually do find a couple things I'd like to get I've went out for RSD. But nothing I feel I must stand in line 3 hours for. Laughing

One of the rules of the chain I go to is one RSD exclusive per customer per visit. I get why they do it, but if someone likes 2-3 bands that have something cool out they wish to own, it's silly to force them to pick one. I also wouldn't want to see the first half dozen or so customers in line each grab 25 items and wipe out the selection so they can run home and put it online.
Back to top Go down
sharatan777
Metal novice
Metal novice
sharatan777

Number of posts : 34

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 3:44 am

Record Store Day 2dhcqyt
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 4:14 am

the sentinel wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
It's only vinyl? No cds?

One of the rules of the chain I go to is one RSD exclusive per customer per visit. I get why they do it, but if someone likes 2-3 bands that have something cool out they wish to own, it's silly to force them to pick one. I also wouldn't want to see the first half dozen or so customers in line each grab 25 items and wipe out the selection so they can run home and put it online.

That's a bullshit rule! Limiting people to on my one record? That's lame. I would support limiting customers to only one copy of each album, but let them buy as many different ones they want. I would be pissed if I spent hours in line only to be able to buy one record.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
It's only vinyl? No cds?

That's a bullshit rule! Limiting people to on my one record? That's lame. I would support limiting customers  to only one copy of each album, but let them buy as many different ones they want. I would be pissed if I spent hours in line only to be able to buy one record.

Same here. It's limited to the "RSD Exclusive" releases and not all vinyl. I just feel there should be more of a focus on the stores (trying to get people back out to brick and mortar locations rather than online commerce) and less on collectible items. A lot of the exclusives are numbered to 1500 or less for the entire country to share. I don't think they should make stuff so scarce; the more people that get to share in the fun makes it a more enjoyable and memorable experience. Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Much like free comic book day, I really don't have much intrest. It seems RSD is more of a hipster thing, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Record Store Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Record Store Day   Record Store Day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Record Store Day
Page 1 of 1