Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Progressive Metal Masterpiece!

Go down 
+5
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
kmorg
Temple of Blood
DallasBlack
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Empty
PostSubject: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 3:45 am

Progressive Metal Masterpiece! 64c9103a
When naming a prog metal release that is outstanding from beggining to end most people name Dream Theater-Images and Words which I will never dispute (it is one of my favorite albums of all time). However, this album is one that I think should be mentioned as one of the best progressive metal releases right up there with it. Tyranny is the album that introduced me to Shadow Gallery and no other album has been able to top it (Room V comes close but not quite). The melodies, guitar solos, keyboard solos, and the amazing pipes of Mike Baker make this a must have for fans of power/progressive metal. Carl Cadden James I believe should rank up there with the best songwriters of this genre (hell, metal in general).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 3:57 am

This band has been on my list for a long time, but I've not found anything by them. Are they progressive? I thought they were just a power metal band.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 5:02 am

They are progressive in the way that Symphony X or Balance Of Power are (in other words, power/progressive). The above album has guest vocalists James LaBrie (I Believe) and D.C. Cooper (New World Order). Various members have contributed to many outside projects as well: Mike Baker (December People, Ayreon, and Leonardo The Absolute Man), Gary Wehrkamp (Ayreon, December People, Mullmuzzler, Explorer's Club and Star One), Brendt Allman (Mullmuzzler), and Carl Cadden James (Mullmuzzler). While compared to Dream Theater, they aren't quite as complicated and are more easily accessable and generally the songs don't last more than 9 minutes. Unfortunatly because they can't make enough money as a band they are only studio musicians and do not tour. They are the cream of the crop as far as progressive metal goes IMO.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 am

I bought it years ago and didn't care for it at all.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 am

I prefer Room V, but all of Shadow Gallery's albums are great. I need to add the srest of their albums to my site. I own them all.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 am

not really a fan, but i do have Carved in Stone & Legacy. they were pretty good.

SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 12:02 pm

This band is like Dream Theater to me; I just get nothing out of them. But hey, if it works for you more power to ya!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Wow, not much love for progressive metal here, DallasBlack. Guess we prog metal lovers have to stick together though. Their loss really, right? lol!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

I am a newbie to prog metal but am enjoying the following bands right now:

- Fair To midland
- Sieges Even
- Povertys No Crime
- circus Maximus
- Shadow Gallery
- Anekdoten
- Riverside

Alex

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 4:15 pm

kmorg wrote:
Wow, not much love for progressive metal here, DallasBlack. Guess we prog metal lovers have to stick together though. Their loss really, right? lol!

Amen to that brother!!!!!🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 4:19 pm

kmorg wrote:

It's just a bloated genre. I have been quite intimidated in exploring "prog/power metal" very far. I have a hard time keeping track of the good bands. I'm sure this Shadow Gallery is one of the better ones.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 4:22 pm

and i forgot a couple of others i am digging:

Winds
Pride of Lions

Alex

stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 6:41 pm

Shadow gallery is great, as prog as you can get, and I love it.
Some people just dont get it(prog) and that is fine. But for those who do, it's a treat for the ears.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 7:03 pm

I have their first two CD's; and it sounds as if they have gotten heavier over the years. The first couple I'd describe as progrock with some guitars, rather than prog-metal. In fact the first one is prog/pomp with lots of piano, like Cairo. I liked it though. Sounds like they have moved toward Symphony X territory, toughened up the sound a bit.
I'll have to check them out, I'm planning my annual Christmas prog/power update buy, so I'll be researching that genre more this fall.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm

I like some Shadow Gallery they are hit or miss for me. If you like prog check out new Darksun, Darkwater, & Twinspirits.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Metal Masterpiece!   Progressive Metal Masterpiece! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Progressive Metal Masterpiece!
Page 1 of 1