Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your First Progressive Metal Album?

Go down 
+20
Citanul
Dark Horseman
mc666
exact33
thejokeriv
bassman
manny
brokentulsa
Wurthless
kmorg
nevermore
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Gryphon-kl
Lari
stepcousin
Leatherface
Olafsto
jettafiend
DallasBlack
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Your First Progressive Metal Album? Empty
PostSubject: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 pm

In The Spirit Of Uncle Saxon's first power metal thread. What was your first introduction to the world of progressive metal and your first album? Almost everyone has at least one, even Toho who a general distated for the genre Very Happy .

My first taste was Dream Theater-Pull Me Under (1992) but it wasn't til a several years later (1995) I got:

Your First Progressive Metal Album? Dream%2BTheater%2B-%2BAwake%2B%25281994%2529

That was my first follwed by Images & Words and When Dream And Day Unite. Apart from DT, I didn't listen to any other progressive metal band until 1999. I've since then collected quite a lot, still one of my favorite genres.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:14 pm

mine was Awake as well. 6 A.M. is still one of my favorite tunes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 am

Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium (1987) - because it actually was progressive.

Last edited by S.D. on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:23 am

FATES WARNING - Awaken The Guardian

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18960

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 am

Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 am

I don't know, I suppose Fates Warning-The Spectre Within. Were they the first prog metal band? Where's the cutoff point where prog rock becomes prog metal? Does Queensryche count as prog metal? What about Rush? Maybe I need to view the rock/metal family tree and look under prog metal.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 am

Operation: Mindcrime

I didn't like it that much at first. After first listen I had the feeling I had just wasted my money. But it then grew on me big time after a few spins.
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 am

Whichever one of Queensrÿche's EP and first 3 albums you think is the first to count. (For those who don't think any of them count, Voivod's "Nothingface".)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 am

Hmm, I guess Mindcrime if that qualifies.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 am

Fates Warning - Spectre Within, if that be considered progressive metal. I purchased it as a new release, and purchased Awaken the Guardian and each successive FW album as they were released.

I was into a lot of progressive rock earlier than the 80's. Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and Nektar were some I was into early on.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 am

If Rush is going to be considered prog metal I'll have to go with Moving Pictures. If not, Fates Warning's Awaken The Guardian would be it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 am

Queensrÿche - The Warning

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 11:49 am

My first true progressive metal album would be Fates Warning's No Exit.

But, if we're considering Queensrÿche prog metal, it'd be Operation: Mindcrime.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:16 pm

If Rush counts...2112
If rush doesn't count but queensryche does... the first release ep...
Otherwise it would be dream theater...Images and Words
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I never have considered Rush to be metal in any way, shape or form. Of course they influenced many progressive metal bands...but just because you are an influence doesn't mean you fit a category of music that came out a decade later.

That's the same issue I have with people calling Rainbow "power metal" and calling Black Sabbath "doom metal". It's a disservice to their influence and also in each of these cases the influencing bands are much more varied in style than the bands they influenced.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 pm

When I was a kid Rush was placed under the genre heavy metal, not just the usual suspects such as Hit Parader, so that is what I considered them and still do. I never saw metal music as just meaning one sound, one image or even one genre, that it could be a composite of many influences.

So my answer would be Rush-2112
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Why let a crap rag like Hit Parader make up your mind for you? Listen to Grace Under Pressure and tell me that has anything to do with metal...at all. It doesn't, it's great, but it sure as hell ain't metal.

Bands like Rush defy categorization, so assigning them into any genre almost feels like an insult.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind -feel free to disagree but it is full of progressive elements
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 pm

If Queensryche is considered prog-metal then, their EP and Warning would be some of the earliest. Fates Warning was actually a year or two after QR.

I also agree that Rush were considered progressive in the 70's. Regardless of the metal or rock tag, they were one of the pioneers and influences of the genre.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Quote :
Why let a crap rag like Hit Parader make up your mind for you? Listen to Grace Under Pressure and tell me that has anything to do with metal...at all. It doesn't, it's great, but it sure as hell ain't metal.

Bands like Rush defy categorization, so assigning them into any genre almost feels like an insult.

This could be said about alot of bands. Def leppard is no longer nwobhm, Motley Crue is no longer a glam band and Guardian Blind seems to be going in a more power/prog direction. The real question on any genre question is when did the genre start, who started it and what is the current definition of the label. When I discuss genre with someone I generally throw out a few band names so people get the idea of my definition of the sound and genre.
Rush could very well be the first hard rock prog band...one who has changed styles through the years but always seems to return to the original prog leanings.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Naked City - Naked City (1990), then Dream Theater - Images & Words (1992)

prog was never a style i got into a whole lot, but the bands i do like, i really like. such as the two i listed.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm

S.D. wrote:

Did I goddamn say that Hit Parader made up my mind for me? Plus when I first started to Rush in 1982 those albums did not exist, since you seem to know everything under the sun, why don't you tell me what is or isn't metal, prog or anything else you care to tell me I am wrong about
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Did I goddamn say that Hit Parader made up my mind for me? Plus when I first started to Rush in 1982 those albums did not exist, since you seem to know everything under the sun, why don't you tell me what is or isn't metal, prog or anything else you care to tell me I am wrong about

Your First Progressive Metal Album? XblF4

i'm eagerly waiting for the outcome of this argument.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your First Progressive Metal Album?   Your First Progressive Metal Album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your First Progressive Metal Album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next