Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New peeve in metal

Go down 
+6
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
Glower
Dark Horseman
Lari
Lurideath
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Since when did this whole multi-layered tracking on chorus' in songs become the new thing? It is just so weak and lame to me! Almost every album that has come out since the middle of 2018 to the present, this is a thing. It ruins the song to me. Everything before it could be relentless or just really driving, then that chorus comes on and it goes to the shits!!

Does anyone else notice this trend or is it just me that notices??
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Hasn't it been there forever? At least in melodic metal.

I agree I would prefer less layered vocals. Some choruses demand it, most don't.

Even worse, a lot of bands layer every single vocal line, no matter if it's bridge, chorus or verse. Which makes it sound processed and inhuman.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 2:45 pm

New? Blind Guardian has been doing this forever and all the power metal bands followed suit. Smile
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Bands that do this - show what kind of bands they are.
I like music that’s rusty - not polished - with a few loose ends -
it’s way more listenable. Old School.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Glower wrote:
Bands that do this - show what kind of bands they are.
I like music that’s rusty - not polished - with a few loose ends -
it’s way more listenable. Old School.

That's what I like about those first three Blind Guardian albums. It's rough and innocent. Angry and unsophisticated. Those big melodies they had were more impactful because you discovered them later after a few spins. Nowadays it's all laid out for you, too easy.

They reached an apex with Imaginations from the Other Side, I think, with the old style and the newer more bombastic style. It had the best of both worlds, and that's why it's my favourite by them. Nightfall followed and it was already much more "epic" and Night at the Opera had layered vocals all throughout so much it made it difficult to listen to. I remember I got through a full listen only because I focused on the drums. They were so good despite the music. Too bad Thomen Stauch left after that record. He was not the best technically, but he gave an aggressive style band that edge. Nowadays they have a robot of a musician who plays like a machine. And I completely steered away from the topic at hand.

Yes, vocals should preferably be recorded as one man (or woman) sings them, because that makes them more distinct.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 6:09 pm

I think it works for BG but I get why people like the more raw style.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 7:15 pm

I like it both ways, but BG does it so well that all of their albums work for me, with and without.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Devin Townsend has been doing it for years.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 8:59 am

Yeah, it's been around forever, but I would say it only bothers me if it's used too much. BG is a good example of getting it right and not pummeling ya over the head with it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm a Def Leppard fan, so...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Do you think it's becoming more common place now because it's easier to cut and paste the same vocals, adjusting pitch, sound, etc., over and over through the computer, whereas in the "old days", the vocals had to be recorded individually and then layered? Just a thought.

Metal is Forever
Lari

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 12:59 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Yeah, it's been around forever, but I would say it only bothers me if it's used too much. BG is a good example of getting it right and not pummeling ya over the head with it.
I feel pretty pummeled listening to recent BG, believe me.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Can someone post an example so I know what we're referring to?

I hate Blind Guardian's vocals, if that's what we're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Can someone post an example so I know what we're referring to?

I hate Blind Guardian's vocals, if that's what we're talking about.

Big choruses, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New peeve in metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: New peeve in metal   New peeve in metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New peeve in metal
Page 1 of 1