Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5 thrash cds of 2007

Go down 
+13
nevermore
kmorg
DallasBlack
romeolimagolf
Thrasher73
7thSecond
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
KissinMaiden
ultmetal
krokus
TheGooch
Wargod
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:45 am

thrasher73 wrote:
HYADES-And the Worst is Yet to Come
i thought that came out last year? it is great though.

SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4604

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 3:13 am

As far as I know, the Hyades disc was only released this year.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:13 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
As far as I know, the Hyades disc was only released this year.
according to metal archives you are correct... i could have sworn otherwise, but i guess i'd be wrong.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
Ultimatum - Into the Pit

Evile - Enter The Grave

Fueled By Fire - Spread The Fire

Overkill - Immoratilis

Merciless Death - Evil in the Night

runner up:
Meltdown - Executioner

Well I finally scored a copy of HYADES - And the Worst Is Yet to Come. I think my list will now have to be altered.

Of course, I also have the new DEKAPITATOR in my CD player today so it might change even more.

I still need the new AVENGER OF BLOOD as well, but unfortunately won't be able to get that until after the new year.

Ultimatum - Into the Pit
Hyades - And the Worst Is Yet to Come
Evile - Enter The Grave
Overkill - Immortalis
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying

Runners up:
Fueled By Fire - Spread The Fire
Merciless Death - Evil in the Night
Meltdown - Executioner

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:51 am

Ultimatum-Into The Pit
Megadeth-United Abominations
Deliverance-As Above So Below
Shadows Fall-Threads Of Life

Thats the extent of the new thrash releases I have this year.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 11:46 am

Ultimatum, Avenger Of Blood, Blood Tsunami, Megadeth

I also have the Merciless Death album, but haven't listened to it yet.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25943

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying
Evile - Enter The Grave
Hyades - And The Worst Is Yet To Come
Ultimatum - Into The Pit
Warbringer - One By One The Wicked Fall
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Ultimatum - Into the Pit
Overkill - Immortalis
Megadeth - United Abominations
Machine Head - The Blackening

I still haven't got the new Exodus...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:23 pm

ghost wrote:
Ultimatum - Into the Pit
Overkill - Immortalis
Megadeth - United Abominations
Machine Head - The Blackening

I still haven't got the new Exodus...

Man, I had completely forgotten about the new Exodus. It fell out of my CD player so quickly after purchasing it. I just don't like the newer Exodus stuff as much. Of the three new Exodus CDs, I like "Tempo of the Damned" the best.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I've only bought like 5 thrash albums this year, I guess I spend most of my cd money on power metal stuff. But I did get 5 of them as I do love my thrash!!! INPO:

1. Shadows Fall - Threads of Life

This is one heavy, yet melodic album! The band really took a turn in a more thrash direction with their album before this one, but this one solidifies them as a thrash unit and a great one they are! Easily my favorite thrash release of 2007! This album just seeps with hooks and memorability. When I first got it - I must have spun it a dozen times before letting it rest. They are also one of the best live bands I seen in 2007 as well.

2. Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

I gotta say that this album KILLS!!! This is a modern thrash band and this, their 2nd album is blistering blackened thrash metal. At times I'm reminded of old Vengeance Rising when listening to this album. It is thrash, but has that sort of 'deathy' type vocal - when done right sounds great! This is an example of how a thrash album should be done!

3. Ultimatum - Into the Pit

Aside from the fact that this is my friend's band ... THIS ALBUM SLAYS!!! One of my favorite thrash releases of the year for sure - right up there with the new Skeletonwitch and Shadows Fall. Very good and heavy stuff here. IMO this is Ultimatum's best album!

4. Dekapitator - The Storm Before the Calm

Ehhh ... I was a bit let down by this one. I've not heard it a whole lot yet, so my mind might change later (IF this grows on me). This is pretty typical sounding, generic thrash. It almost seems as if they are 'trying too hard' to channel the sounds of yesteryear. Whereas other new thrash bands like Skeletonwitch are bringing a new, fresh sound to thrash. This is stagnate. It could have been released in 1989 and just been one of those albums that everyone but a few 'diehards' forgot about. Pass the Skeletonwitch and Shadows Fall please ...

5. Deliverance - As Above/So Below

Next to the new Marilyn Manson, this is my biggest disappointment of the year. I'd probably get rid of it if it weren't for the collection. If this had been my first exposure to Deliverance, I wouldn't even be a fan today. This album sounds forced and contrived. NOTHING like the Deliverance I've come to know and love. I'd much have preferred another "Assimilation". At least their hearts were in that one.

Well, that sums up my thrash albums of 07. Not many of them.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Shadows Fall has changed from metalcore to thrash now?

Are the terms "metalcore" and "thrash" considered one and the same in 2007?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:29 pm

kmorg wrote:

Kmorg,I didnt know the Avenger of Blood was out yet.Where did you get it?If you dont mind me asking
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shadows Fall has changed from metalcore to thrash now?

Are the terms "metalcore" and "thrash" considered one and the same in 2007?

Listen - Shadows Fall USED to be a metalcore band! Of course there is a major difference between the two! Have you heard their latest album, "Threads of Life"??? Apart from a slight metalcore edge, they have shifted their sound. Their new album is like Testament's "Practice What You Preach" with a slight metalcore sheen. This is NOTHING like the Shadows Fall from a few years ago. Some bands change ya know?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:37 pm

I haven't heard anything from their new one. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I haven't heard anything from their new one. Thanks for the info.

Actually their last two have been along these lines. Each album is moving closer to a true thrash sound.

Don't get me wrong - there is still some metalcore there ... but it's like a combination - and I consider it thrash. So does a lot of other people (the band themselves included). When I seen them live this year, Brian Fair declared that Shadows Fall was a thrash band now.

Just listen to the vocal harmonies (much like Testament's "Practice" era), The guitar shredding is INCREDIBLE! Much like Alex Skolnick used to sound. Also, the metalcore vocals are gone (now they are more subdued with a more melodic, thrash type yell dominating.) This is thrash, albeit modern thrash. You might not like it. But it's still thrash.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:54 pm

I'll have to check it out.

I don't consider vocal harmonies to be a staple of thrash, and I don't remember TESTAMENT ever using them to be honest.

And the last time I heard those two guitar players they were getting hyped and featured in Guitar Magazine and sounded decent but nowhere close to being as good as Skolnick was in the early days of TESTAMENT.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:15 pm

I think Shadows Fall are a great band.My favorite release of theirs is The War Within.I think they dropped most of the metalcore tendencies a few years back.Still No Testament though as TOB pointed out.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Well that kindof made sense seeing as how Trivium is even moving away from metalcore vocals and stuff and trying to also move away from being called "metalcore".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well that kindof made sense seeing as how
Trivium is even moving away from metalcore vocals and stuff and trying
to also move away from being called "metalcore".

Hey Temple, read my review on NLTM. I say almost the same thing.
Metalcore has overstaturated the market so bands are now seaching for
the latest and greatest. Thrash seems to be the new in thing in the underground so bands like Trivium and Shadows Fall are moving in that direction.

Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 8:53 pm

yeah it seems to be the latest craze.Even Bullet for My Valentine has gone in a much more thrashier vein.Anyone heard their latest-Scream Aim Fire?Not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 2:50 am

Oh, I forgot to mention Sodom - The Final Sign of Evil...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:35 am

thrasher73 wrote:
I think Shadows Fall are a great band.My favorite release of theirs is The War Within.I think they dropped most of the metalcore tendencies a few years back.Still No Testament though as TOB pointed out.

Yeah, for some reason "Threads of Life" brings Testament to my mind. Not sure why that is. I guess it's because I get the same feelings when listening to it that I got when I listened to "Practice What You Preach" when I first got it many years ago. For some reason I hear Testament when I hear Shadows Fall's new stuff. I guess it's just me.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:36 am

ghost wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention Sodom - The Final Sign of Evil...

Dude, I just ordered this last week. Still haven't got it yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

greedy

Now I have filled all the holes in my Sodom collection. I have all their studio albums now.

listening to music
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:34 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Kmorg,I didnt know the Avenger of Blood was out yet.Where did you get it?If you dont mind me asking

I bought it from their record company.

I also forgot to add Warbringer!! might as well have the latest Deliverance on my list too.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 12:55 pm

OVERKILL "Immortalis"
My favorite Overkill release since The Killing Kind, if not even Horrorscope. Unexpected!
NEGLIGENCE "Options of a Trapped Mind"
A great release indeed, sadly they went a little too far in production, if you ask me, so it sounds a little too "spoiled", and some songs have been reanranged compared to the demo versions (where's the killer Legacy of Lies chorus?!?!). So I prefer demos to the debut ... btw, you can listen to the whole album here: www.myspace.com/negligence
ONSLAUGHT "Killing Peace"
Completely different to their early works, but it's a ripping modern thrash album done right!
LEGION OF THE DAMNED "Sons of the Jackal"
Basically Malevolent Rapture part 2 (it was recorded right after their 1st album was released) - and it sounds like a left overs from it, nothing special, but not bad either.
MEGADETH "United Abominations"
Another cool release from Mega-Dave.

Haven't heard the latest Exodus yet, can't say that I really want it too (don't like the new singer too much). Basically a disappointing year I'd say, but I just wasn't hyped to hear anything new, since I've found a lot of new releases utterly boring and crappy (like Fueled by Fire, Strikemaster, etc.), so I had much more fun listening to good old metal Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 thrash cds of 2007   Top 5 thrash cds of 2007 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 thrash cds of 2007
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next