Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Vs. The world

Go down 
+10
Glower
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
Shawn Of Fire
Addy
Lari
brokentulsa
Wurthless
Wrecked Neck
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Metal Vs. The world Empty
PostSubject: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Just curious, but do you think other types of music lovers collect music with the same passion metalheads do? Do you think a fan of Lady GaGa or whoever is the new flavor of the month have their own types of forums where they debate about which shitty album is better than which? I was just thinking about this for a couple days and got me to wondering. Are there pop rock music forums? Country western forums? Hip hop? Are there fans of these types of bands and music that have thousands of records or cd's? I think metal is the leader with obsessed fans needing to collect shit.

I know a few people that love pop music, but they don't seem to have shit for a collection. maybe a small pile of cd's in the corner, a couple in their cars, and that is it. Why do you think that is? Why do we have to have every album by every band we love and then go on to study every note, lyric, and beat on their albums? I don't see pop music fans doing this, do you? What are your guy's thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm

I see it as being a side-effect of metal being a nerdy obsession. It's chiefly a passion for those who have learned to not give a F*ck about the social-perception surrounding their tastes, while pop music is inherently almost entirely centered upon being as accessible as possible and based on the current cultural climate.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 am

I have a friend that's into New Wave and she is absolutely radical about collecting it and has over 2,000 albums.... she also has posters, shirts, books...
I have met a few punkers and Goths along the way that were pretty radical about collecting also...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 am

Classic rock collectors are plenty. Huge collections.

Contemporary pop music probably not, because it is targeted at a younger audience with hardly the kind of money or experience to collect large amounts of physical copies.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 am

Lari wrote:
Classic rock collectors are plenty. Huge collections.

Contemporary pop music probably not, because it is targeted at a younger audience with hardly the kind of money or experience to collect large amounts of physical copies.
Yeah, but I started my collection when I was pretty young. I didn't start out with a ton, but over the years it slowly added up. And believe me, I didn't have a lot of money. I got my allowance and stole some from my step grandfather once in a while, but that wasn't much. Enough to buy one or two records a month, which is what I did.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 7:41 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Just curious, but do you think other types of music lovers collect music with the same passion metalheads do? Do you think a fan of Lady GaGa or whoever is the new flavor of the month have their own types of forums where they debate about which shitty album is better than which? I was just thinking about this for a couple days and got me to wondering. Are there pop rock music forums? Country western forums? Hip hop? Are there fans of these types of bands and music that have thousands of records or cd's? I think metal is the leader with obsessed fans needing to collect shit.

I know a few people that love pop music, but they don't seem to have shit for a collection. maybe a small pile of cd's in the corner, a couple in their cars, and that is it. Why do you think that is? Why do we have to have every album by every band we love and then go on to study every note, lyric, and beat on their albums? I don't see pop music fans doing this, do you? What are your guy's thoughts on this?

Im not a Metalhead and I do like Lady Gaga and I used to collect music like a junkie getting a fix. I cant do that anymore because my priorities have changed, (being a husband and a father) with the limited income I have i just don't have room for that anymore. Having said that, I think alot of here are music junkies and thats what we do. We're passionate about the bands and artists we like whether its Pink Floyd, Slayer, Lady Gaga, or Eric Church. I also think that the need to collect stems more from a geeky type thing, I used to collect alot of stuff, Baseball Cards, Comic Books, Star Wars stuff, CDs I still feel that urge to collect stuff but prioririties have changed... seems all I collect now is more debt lol
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 am

Jazz collectors.

50's rock and roll collectors.

Beatles collectors.

Classic Rock collectors.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

Steve Hoffman forum is THE music forum for all types of music. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

Collectors of everything you can imagine there from all types of music. Some people have insanely huge collections.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/show-us-your-vinyl-collection-setup.348621/#post-10296979
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am

We're not special. There are all sorts of niche music genres with obsessive fans like us out there. I know people that obsessively collect Grateful Dead live show bootlegs and others that collect punk 45s.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am

Judging from all the pop albums I see turning up in thrift shops and Goodwill stores, I'd say no.

The pop genre, by definition, has an expiration date stamped on it. It's catered to 10-14 year olds and when you get past that point, it's dated and old. You may feel a slight twinge of nostalgia, but it's mostly cringe-worthy embarrassment that you actually liked this stuff in the first place. I can't see why someone would collect it, aside from a few weirdos.

Guitar-based music (rock, metal, blues, punk, jazz etc.) seems to have cornered the market on collection obsession geekiness.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 am

On Youtube, there are these sites that have all this rare metal album releases.
It's so truly wild to consider just how much metal is still out there,
from the 80's, that I have never heard before. Good quality metal.
Even solid demo tapes, by bands that came close to deals. Very fun.
Metal is one of thee most powerful forms of music there is.
I love having these high energy CDs available for car driving.
I think of Witchfinder - and what his collection must be like.
I saw a interview with King Diamond, at his house,
and he had this wall of CD's. I wondered what bands he had !
It's a strong passion for me. Even reading band biography books.
Even books can be exciting, recapturing that vibe, that ever brief, 15 year, vibe.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 12:59 pm

If you think that pop isn't something that's  collected by obsessive fans

Metal Vs. The world 150976656585

Have a  guess how much this Kylie single sold for?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 1:11 pm

"Metal isn't the same as other music. For instance you never hear somebody say 'I was really into Slayer one summer.'" - Rob Zombie
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I think pretty much every genre/artist has got at least one obsessive fan/collector out there.

I belong to a CD collector's group on Facebook (one of those "post pix of your latest acquisitions!" kind of deals) and there's a guy who's constantly posting pix of all these off the wall Australian, South American, European, Japanese & Korean CDs he's picked up by N-Sync, Justin Bieber and other boy bands - singles, EPs, etc., etc.

I have to admit that's some impressive dedication, even tho it's also slightly creepy cuz if the guy's profile pic is anything to go by, he's a middle aged man, not a teenage girl, but whatever floats your boat, I guess. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I wonder if he actually listens to them, or if it's some sort of a hoarding disorder.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Techno has a huge collectors market. Rap too, though to be fair, a lot of them are simply bought by DJs to spin at shows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Vs. The world   Metal Vs. The world Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Vs. The world
Page 1 of 1