Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Rock

Go down 
+14
MetalGuy71
muckie
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
Hadley
Boris2008
scottmitchell74
Wurthless
80s Metal Lady
Thrasher73
corplhicks
tohostudios
Thelemech
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fav Modern Rock band of these
Nickelback
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hinder
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Chevelle
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Rev Theory
 0% [ 0 ]
Coldplay
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Puddle of Mudd
 0% [ 0 ]
Papa Roach
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Shinedown
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Buck Cherry
Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Modern Rock - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Trapt
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Modern Rock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:55 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I see Disturbed as more of a modern Metal band than Rock band.

That's a really fine distinction to make but I guess I understand your point. But now you're splitting hairs over what's hard rock and what's metal and we all know how futile that is.

But it's your poll so we'll play by your rules. \'arry \'eadbanger

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 pm

I just will NEVER understand why Coldplay is so popular.  I used to say the same thing about Radiohead when they were the critics' darlings.  

I'm not trying to slam anyone; I just seriously do not hear anything appealing in their music. And I can usually find something to like in most music.  It must be me though because they sure do make a lot of money.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Shinedown, so they got my vote.

+1 The lead singer has an amazing voice.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 am

The term 'Modern Rock' seems to be synonymous with post-grunge. I never got into these artists. It's like Creed or Tonic making music for the aftermarket.

I also don't understand the popularity of Coldplay either. I find their melodies to be very mediocre and boring.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 am

tohostudios wrote:
I just will NEVER understand why Coldplay is so popular.  I used to say the same thing about Radiohead when they were the critics' darlings.  

I'm not trying to slam anyone; I just seriously do not hear anything appealing in their music. And I can usually find something to like in most music.   It must be me though because they sure do make a lot of money.

I worked with a gal who was (is?) a huge Coldplay fan and she once described them to me as "a less pretentious U2". True or not? I dunno as I don't listen to either.

As for the poll, Buckcherry got the vote by default because I owned 2 of their discs once. They seemed like a breath of fresh air at the time of their debut, but got stale real quick.

Not real familiar with the rest of that lot.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am

tohostudios wrote:
If we're going to start naming favorite modern rock bands that aren't in the list I would probably go with Charm City Devils.  Their first album was more of a sleaze rock style but they've been modern rock ever since.

Those guys ain't too bad. I have Let's Rock n Roll. I like it well enough but I never followed up with anything else.

Hey Unc, have you checked out The Damned Things? It's a Scott Ian side-project, but I think it would fall into the modern rock category...

I really enjoy their album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Is that the thing he did with his wifey, MG? I never really looked into it after those rehearsal vids were going around.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 am

Don't sound too bad.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

See, I don't really understand the Coldplay hate. They have lost touch over the years, for sure, and their past few albums have been pretty tasteless, but those first few albums are a bit phenomenal, especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

There is a lot of U2 going on (and I wouldn't say less pretentious; U2 shifted from zero pretense to complete mainstream pretense throughout their career) but also some Rush, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Radiohead, yet more accessible compositions and melodies. And the atmosphere they create on X&Y is very nice indeed. So I'm not sure what's to hate about them.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Is that the thing he did with his wifey, MG?  I never really looked into it after those rehearsal vids were going around.

No, that was Motor Sister. That's good too though. Scott plays on his wife Pearl's solo debut, Immaculate White Fox, which isn't half bad neither.

This was a side project he did back a few years ago with the guys from Fall Out Boy and former Anthrax guitarist Rob Caggianno. I dismissed it early on, but after I read Scott's book, I decided to give it a shot (it's dirt cheap on-line) and found it to be quite enjoyable.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm

corplhicks wrote:
especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

I'm out.

Modern Rock - Page 2 2944497_o

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

I'm out.

Modern Rock - Page 2 2944497_o

lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:33 pm

"None of the above please"!

Actually a couple of the bands are OK, Buckcherry and Chevelle aren't too bad. Nickleback suck. I am surprised at the love for Coldplay - not my cup of tea. Plus, they cemented their suck factor during the horrid super bowl half time show.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 1:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Actually a couple of the bands are OK, Buckcherry and Chevelle aren't too bad. Nickleback suck. I am surprised at the love for Coldplay - not my cup of tea. Plus, they cemented their suck factor during the horrid super bowl half time show.

Yeah, that was a total embarrassment for them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 1:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

^^ Whut he sez.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:20 pm

corplhicks wrote:
See, I don't really understand the Coldplay hate. They have lost touch over the years, for sure, and their past few albums have been pretty tasteless, but those first few albums are a bit phenomenal, especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

There is a lot of U2 going on (and I wouldn't say less pretentious; U2 shifted from zero pretense to complete mainstream pretense throughout their career) but also some Rush, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Radiohead, yet more accessible compositions and melodies. And the atmosphere they create on X&Y is very nice indeed. So I'm not sure what's to hate about them.

I like Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen are OK...but it's that last band you list that I most think of when I hear Coldplay. And I hate Radiohead too.... lol!

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:27 pm

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I like Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen are OK...but it's that last band you list that I most think of when I hear Coldplay.  And I hate Radiohead too.... lol!

I do completely understand those that are not into Radiohead; talk about an eclectic group that changed genres every single album. Although I always encourage people to give The Bends a chance before completely dismissing them.

Also I would say that Coldplay is mildly influenced by Radiohead, but their music is miles apart. While Coldplay is pleasantly catchy and accessible, Radiohead is jarringly irreverent and unorthodox.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm

But at least Radiohead had "Creep"; that's one more song than I like by Coldplay.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
But at least Radiohead had "Creep"; that's one more song than I like by Coldplay.

Funny story about Creep; that's the one song that the band completely hates. It was their breakthrough hit, to be sure (and it is a damn fine tune) but Thom Yorke couldn't escape its popularity. Suddenly, according to the radio and MTV, that was the only song they ever recorded. So on the follow-up album The Bends, this song was written as Thom's dismissal of Creep. It's also why the band became less and less commercial with each album.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm

That's funny; I didn't know that.

I remember the first time I heard Coldplay.  I was listening to the local alternative station when this song came on and my first thought was 'Oh great, a new Radiohead song...yawn".  Then the DJ announced it was the first single by a band called Coldplay and I thought "That's even worse!  Now we have two Radioheads!"

Wish I could remember what song it was but you know how the human mind tries to block out traumatic memories...I think it was from that album with the weird half-a-head on the cover.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Funny story about Creep; that's the one song that the band completely hates. It was their breakthrough hit, to be sure (and it is a damn fine tune) but Thom Yorke couldn't escape its popularity. Suddenly, according to the radio and MTV, that was the only song they ever recorded. So on the follow-up album The Bends, this song was written as Thom's dismissal of Creep. It's also why the band became less and less commercial with each album.

I HATE the song "Creep" and due to hating that song, I never gave that band a chance. Some time in the late 90's, I'm sitting over at my buddies having a few cocktails and "Fake Plastic Trees" starts to play. Maybe it was the atmosphere that night, but I loved that song and it renewed my interest in the band. I love The Bends, BUT I still hate "Creep"! I have to be in a certain mood when it comes to listening to Radiohead, but I enjoy "Pablo Honey", love "The Bends" & "O.K Computer". The band started to lose me with "Kid A", which Chuck Klosterman loves! I think that was his go to album at the start of the millennium. "Amnesiac" was decent along with "In Rainbows".

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 6:16 pm

"Fake Plastic Trees" is actually not a bad song but it's that whiny voice combined with the angsty lyrics that just make me want to hurl.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Radiohead are absolute brilliance.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 pm

I have only familiarized myself with OK Computer, but I can easily call that album a masterpiece of music as an artform. That damn album never sounds exactly the same from listen to listen. New nuances in layering, structure, and instrumentation are discovered every time I queue that album up. It's a perfect album for just throwing on some headphones and shutting the world out.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I have only familiarized myself with OK Computer, but I can easily call that album a masterpiece of music as an artform. That damn album never sounds exactly the same from listen to listen. New nuances in layering, structure, and instrumentation are discovered every time I queue that album up. It's a perfect album for just throwing on some headphones and shutting the world out.

In Rainbows next, then Kid A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Modern Rock - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next