Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Band

Go down 
+27
exact33
thejokeriv
nevermore
MoonChild
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
ghost
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
Wrecked Neck
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
glassprison
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
Thelemech
journeyman
Leatherface
80s Metal Lady
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Lari
the sentinel
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 10:53 am

I agree with you guys on Ultimate Sin. Great album. It is in one of my favorite trilogies: Diary, Bark, and Ultimate (not Blizzard). "Secret Loser" is the song that really pops out for me.

I also like Turbo for the most part, but there are several tracks I just can't ("Private Property," "Parental Guidance," "Rock You All Around The World" back to back to back, ugh!). "Out In The Cold" is awesome. Always loved that song and "Reckless." The first JP album I had was Priest...live!, so I thought those Turbo tracks were all classics. They played all three of those awful songs, Laughing

Not crazy about Sacred Heart, though. I like "King of Rock and Roll" (and actually prefer a live version on the metal compilation Heavy Metal Thunder better) and "Another Lie." I really don't care to listen to anything else off that album.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 3:58 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Senti - you are 41 yrs old.  Totally understand your favs.  I was 16 when Sacred Heart. Ultimate Sin, etc came out.  The hair got bigger and the production bigger, as well.  But that year is why Turbo is my fav JP album [which is sacrilege to most metal fans].  C'mon!  Heavy Metal Parking Lot anyone?  The Turbo tour opening of Out in the Cold?  Stellar stuff.

Uncle, I would take Turbo and Ram It Down over the two Ripper albums any day. Smile I need to score a good VHS rip of HMPL.

Speaking of Dio, I ignored Lock Up The Wolves for a long time after being unimpressed when it first came out. I remember digging out my cassette about 10-12 years ago and playing it over and over while driving to do my student teaching each morning. I am not a high school teacher anymore but I still f'n love RJD!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 4:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I would put Rhino bucket and the Quireboys close to metal, toho-y

So would I. The Quireboys have a crap ton of albums. I was on Heavy Harmonies the other day and realized this.

Wow, I just noticed this post.  I'll give you Rhino Bucket but if you guys think The Quireboys are close to metal you obviously haven't heard them lately.  These days they're barely even rock.

Toho, you are right, I haven't heard them lately. I only own the first 2 albums and those (upon a quick revisit) are more sleazy R&R than Metal. I will have to check out the newer stuff as I always liked Spike's voice.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 4:23 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I agree with you guys on Ultimate Sin. Great album. It is in one of my favorite trilogies: Diary, Bark, and Ultimate (not Blizzard). "Secret Loser" is the song that really pops out for me.

I also like Turbo for the most part, but there are several tracks I just can't ("Private Property," "Parental Guidance," "Rock You All Around The World" back to back to back, ugh!). "Out In The Cold" is awesome. Always loved that song and "Reckless." The first JP album I had was Priest...live!, so I thought those Turbo tracks were all classics. They played all three of those awful songs,  Laughing  

Not crazy about Sacred Heart, though. I like "King of Rock and Roll" (and actually prefer a live version on the metal compilation Heavy Metal Thunder better) and "Another Lie." I really don't care to listen to anything else off that album.

I think some albums just "click" with some of us sooner rather than later; or sometimes not at all. I have always felt that memory and time (and sometimes circumstance) have a lot to do with our love of a particular band or album. A lot of people are reminded of better times when a particular song plays and are transported back to that time; or circumstances were that you only owned a few albums/ cassettes then you played those too death and loved them cuz it was all you had.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Aerosmith, Kiss and Ted Nugent all became favorites when I was literally in grade school. Had a neighbor who use to blast music down the street and had this killer bedroom filled with posters of rock stars. He played Toys in the Attic and I was hooked. He played Double Live Gonzo and I was hooked! Destroyer! BAM! Hooked.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Man, that's awesome! A lot of my favorite bands have become so through exposure from others playing them. That's how I found Def Leppard. I was playing basketball at my cousins house with the neighborhood kids and someone had "Pyromania" blasting from a boom box while we played, I knew Photograph and Foolin' from the radio, but the whole album was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 pm

This is something I think about fairly often. I have favorite artists who are kind of ephemeral, where I find myself only listening to them every now and again in sort-of-phases (Steely Dan, Marillion, Queensryche, Savatage, and a couple others) and then there's artists that I consistently listen to them almost all the time.

Those "all the time" artists are:

Fates Warning/Iron Maiden tied for first.
The Tallest Man on Earth in second.
Peter Gabriel follows right after.
King Crimson
maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot/Toby Driver

If I had to choose one out of those though, it'd probably be Maiden as my overall favorite.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:12 am

Bonfire is definitely my all time favorite band, though I was kinda sad when I heard that Claus Lessman had left the group and was replaced with David Reece, now I think Reese is a great vocalist(Eat the Heat is one of my personal favorite Accept albums) and I think the band's new album "Glorious" is still pretty good, but Lessman's vocals were such a big part of what made Bonfire such an amazing band, and without him it just doesn't sound like Bonfire, it sounds more like Bangalore Choir.

Same thing with Great White- Elation, good album and nothing against Terry Ilous, but without Jack Russell it just doesn't sound like Great White, it sounds more like the latter XYZ albums.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 pm

I love "Eat the Heat" as it's just an awesome 80's metal album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 7:51 am

Eat The Heat is the one Accept album I've avoided. Although I do want to get it eventually, it's one I've never come across used.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 am

I found a remastered one with bonus tracks a few years back for short money. Like a lot of folks in the 80's I passed on it b/c it wasn't Udo singing, then a few years back I gave it a second chance and really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Band
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3