Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite band line-ups...

Go down 
+10
Coma
Thrasher73
TrogDawn
Chairman_Smith
DeathCult
mc666
caniplaywithmadness?
Fat Freddy
ghost
ultmetal
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Favorite band line-ups... Empty
PostSubject: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 am

An offshoot of spectrefates Favorite Christian Musicians thread.

I know this is blasphemy but I like the current MOTORHEAD line-up better than any other: Lemmy, Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell.

Hirax
I don't really care that much who is in the band as long as Glenn Rogers and Katon DePena are the mainframe of the band. I think Glenn gave the band a great sound. Together with Katon's distinctive voice.

Judas Priest
The "Hell Bent for Leather" line-up including an Hill, KK Downing, Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton and one of the unsung drum legends of metal, Les Binks was my favorite. Dave Holland was too plain for Priest. Scott Travis is a great addition and would be my second choice after Les.

About to commit another blasphemy.
I prefer the "Killers" era line-up of Iron Maiden: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Steve Harris & Clive Burr. I know most fans like the Dickinson/McBrain era of the band, as do I, but there was something special about the '82 line-up.

Anthrax
Here's one that's been debated on just about every metal forum. I'm gonna go with the crowd on this one though. I like the Belladonna, Spitz, Ian, Benante, Bello era the best. I also like the John Bush years and the Turbin release, but if forced to pick, I'd go for the classic "Spreading the Disease" line-up.

Once Dead
The line-up that played Elements of Rock in Switzerland was FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!
Angelo Espino (bass), Larry Farkas (guitar), Glenn Rogers (guitar), Doug Thieme (guitar) and Jim Chaffin (drums) w. myself singing. I really wish this line-up would have been able to record a CD, but it just didn't work out like that.

Those were the first few that came to mind.

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:54 am

ultmetal wrote:
I know this is blasphemy but I like the current MOTORHEAD line-up better than any other: Lemmy, Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell.

No blasphemy! I totally agree. And Motörhead is my most favorite band for 28 years now!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 11:57 am

OK, I'll play:

Annihilator - the ""Never, Neverland" lineup (Jeff Waters, Coburn Pharr, Dave Scott Davis, Wayne Darley, Ray Hartmann). Wish I could've seen this band live back then. NEVER NEVERLAND is just a fierce album all around. The CARNIVAL DIABLOS lineup with Joe Comeau on lead vocals was pretty killer as well.

Overkill: Gotta go with the original FEEL THE FIRE lineup (Blitz, DD, Gustafson, Skates) here. Sadly I never did get to see them with Rat in the band -- by the time I finally saw them in '89 he had been replaced by Sid Falck. But despite all the lineup turnover through the years, Overkill has always remained a solid unit!

Savatage - GUTTER BALLET lineup (Jon & Criss Oliva, Johnny Lee Middleton, Chris Caffery, Doc Wacholz). I saw Savatage on this tour and it was quite honestly the BEST show I have ever seen. No lie. humble

Crimson Glory - original lineup, saw them on the TRANSCENDENCE tour and even though it was a tiny venue with sh*t sound, they played like the OWNED the place. I even got to chat with Midnight ever so briefly while the opening band was onstage, he was a very cool guy. I now regret not getting his autograph.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Ahhh, see now with OVERKILL, I'd go with the Bloodletting line-up:
Bobby Ellsworth, Dave Linsk, "D.D." Verni, Tim Mallare, Derek Tailer.
Really, there wasn't a line-up I didn't like of Overkill. As long as DD and Blitz are at the healm, it will always be OVERKILL!

With Annihilator, I thought Joe Comeau was the best vocalist they ever had.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Really, there wasn't a line-up I didn't like of Overkill. As long as DD and Blitz are at the healm, it will always be OVERKILL!

Wow, BLOODLETTING? Really? That's a decent enough album I guess but it doesnt' get a lot of spins from me. It's a little too "all over the place." I preferred KILLBOX 13 from the Blitz/DD/Linsk/Mallare/Tailer combo.
I think on BLOODLETTING the new lineup hadn't quite "gelled" yet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I agree with everything ult typed right here.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

iron maiden - dickinson, murray, smith, harris, burr

i've always preferred clive burrs drumming to nicko mcbrains. tho i love mcbrain, i like burrs more simple and energetic drumming more

exodus - souza, holt, hunolt, gibson, hunting

the bonded by blood line up is generally called the best exodus line up, but baloffs vocals have always been nails on a chalkboard for me. tempo of the damned was my favourite lineup

overkill - blitz, gustafson, verni, falck

u gotta have bobby g on the guitar. one of the unsung metal heroes

ozzy osbourne - osbourne, rhodes, daisley, kerslake

the original line ups my favourite. daisley is one of the unsung bass heroes. i much prefer rhodes to wydle, i also prefer jake e lee to wydle as well
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Wow, BLOODLETTING? Really? That's a decent enough album I guess but it doesnt' get a lot of spins from me. It's a little too "all over the place." I preferred KILLBOX 13 from the Blitz/DD/Linsk/Mallare/Tailer combo.
I think on BLOODLETTING the new lineup hadn't quite "gelled" yet.

Bloodletting and Killbox are the same line-up. I just said "Bloodletting line-up" because that was the first album that line-up recorded together.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:23 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

the original line ups my favourite. daisley is one of the unsung bass heroes. i much prefer rhodes to wydle, i also prefer jake e lee to wydle as well

Yup. Unbeatable. Not to change the direction of this thread but what a crime that Sharron messed with the history of those first two albums.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

Yup. Unbeatable. Not to change the direction of this thread but what a crime that Sharron messed with the history of those first two albums.

that did suck. i downloaded the 'remasters' on bittorrent just to compare the sound. its sounds too reverby and echoey. plus ozzys vocals are way too loud. plus they've tampered with randys guitar tone. stay away
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:31 pm

ghost wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

No blasphemy! I totally agree. And Motörhead is my most favorite band for 28 years now!

So then you are like me in that there really isn't a bad line-up. LOL!!!
Phil Taylor was one sick drummer! Got to see him when he reunited with the band in the mid-80's.

I even love the infamous Taylor/Kilmister/Robertson line-up. Only released the one album, but man, what a great record.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Bloodletting and Killbox are the same line-up. I just said "Bloodletting line-up" because that was the first album that line-up recorded together.

Ahhh, now I gotcha. Obviously I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of "favorite lineup" rather than "favorite album," haha.

Although I could be wrong, but I don't think Derek Tailer recorded anything on BLOODLETTING. He did the road work with them but if I'm not mistaken, all the guitars on the album were recorded by Dave Linsk.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 pm

i miss the Rocky George era of Suicidal Tendencies

caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I even love the infamous Taylor/Kilmister/Robertson line-up. Only released the one album, but man, what a great record.

i love that album. brian robertson is one of my favourtie guitarists. its a shame he never really fufilled his full potential
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Iron Maiden- I second the Killers line up, My favorite era of the band and IMO the best line up.

Black Sabbath- Born Again line up with Ian Gillan, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward. Perfection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Megadeth-Symphony of Destruction line up. The only one that actually stuck for more then two albums.

Metal Church-The original was the best but i've liked 'em all.

Quote :
Savatage - GUTTER BALLET lineup (Jon & Criss Oliva, Johnny Lee Middleton, Chris Caffery, Doc Wacholz).
Salute!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:
An offshoot of spectrefates Favorite Christian Musicians thread.

Hirax
I don't really care that much who is in the band as long as Glenn Rogers and Katon DePena are the mainframe of the band. I think Glenn gave the band a great sound. Together with Katon's distinctive voice.

Judas Priest
The "Hell Bent for Leather" line-up including an Hill, KK Downing, Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton and one of the unsung drum legends of metal, Les Binks was my favorite. Dave Holland was too plain for Priest. Scott Travis is a great addition and would be my second choice after Les.

About to commit another blasphemy.
I prefer the "Killers" era line-up of Iron Maiden: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Steve Harris & Clive Burr. I know most fans like the Dickinson/McBrain era of the band, as do I, but there was something special about the '82 line-up.

Anthrax
Here's one that's been debated on just about every metal forum. I'm gonna go with the crowd on this one though. I like the Belladonna, Spitz, Ian, Benante, Bello era the best. I also like the John Bush years and the Turbin release, but if forced to pick, I'd go for the classic "Spreading the Disease" line-up.

Once Dead
The line-up that played Elements of Rock in Switzerland was FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!
Angelo Espino (bass), Larry Farkas (guitar), Glenn Rogers (guitar), Doug Thieme (guitar) and Jim Chaffin (drums) w. myself singing. I really wish this line-up would have been able to record a CD, but it just didn't work out like that.

Those were the first few that came to mind.

I agree on both Motorhead and Iron Maiden
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:04 pm

My favourite Sabbath lineup is Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward.

Then of course Ozzy... and then Gillan... (Gillan would be #2 if they kept going)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:

Then of course Ozzy... and then Gillan... (Gillan would be #2 if they kept going)

The Gillan line-up was awesome! I saw that tour at the Spectrum in Philly. It was one of my earliest concert going experiences. Will never forget it. They had that giant Stonehenge set. Quiet Riot opened up the show.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

The Gillan line-up was awesome! I saw that tour at the Spectrum in Philly. It was one of my earliest concert going experiences. Will never forget it. They had that giant Stonehenge set. Quiet Riot opened up the show.

I was listening to the Born In Hell bootleg all night.

I wish Ian and Iommi would work toghter again... I quite enjoy the version of Trashed they did on Gillan's Inn... mostly cause I like the idea of Iommi working with 3 Deep Purple members.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 pm

ACCEPT - Dirkschneider/Hoffmann/Frank/Baltes/Kaufmann
AC/DC - Scott/Young/Young/Williams (or Evans)/Rudd
AEROSMITH - Tyler/Perry/Whitford/Hamilton/Kramer
ANTHRAX - Belladonna (or Turbin)/Ian/Spitz/Benante/Bello (or Lilker)
BLACK SABBATH - Osbourne/Iommi/Butler/Ward
BLIZZARD OF OZZ - Osbourne/Rhoads/Daisley/Kerslake
BLUE OYSTER CULT - Bloom/Roeser/Lanier/Bouchard/Bouchard
ALICE COOPER - Furnier/Bruce/Buxton/Dunaway/Smith
DEF LEPPARD - Elliot/Willis/Clark/Savage/Allen
DIAMOND HEAD - Harris/Tatler/Kimberly/Scott
DIO - Dio/Campbell/Bain/Appice
EXODUS - Baloff/Holt/Hunolt/McKillop/Hunting
HUMBLE PIE - Marriott/Clempson/Ridley/Shirley
IRON BUTTERFLY - Ingle/Bushy/Braunn/Dorman
IRON MAIDEN - Di'Anno/Harris/Murray/Smith/Burr
JUDAS PRIEST - Halford/Tipton/Downing/Hill/Binks (or Holland)
KING CRIMSON - Fripp/McDonald/Lake/Giles (or Fripp/Belew/Levin/Bruford)
KISS - Stanley/Simmons/Frehley/Criss
KROKUS - Storace/Von Arb/Kohler/Von Rohr/Steady
LYNYRD SKYNYRD - Van Zant/Collins/Rossington/Gaines/Powell/Pyle
MEGADETH - Mustaine/Ellefson/Samuelson (or Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza)
METALLICA - Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett (or Mustaine)
MOTORHEAD - Kilmister/Clarke/Taylor
MERCYFUL FATE - Diamond/Shermann/Denner/Hansen/Ruzz
MOTHERS OF INVENTION - Zappa/Volman/Kaylan/Underwood/Dunbar/Preston/Pons
MSG - Schenker/Barden/Glen/Raymond/Powell
TED NUGENT - Nugent/St. Holmes/Grange/Davies
PENTAGRAM (70's) - Liebling/McAllister/Mayne/O'Keefe
PENTAGRAM/DEATH ROW (80's-90's) - Liebling/Griffin/Swaney/Hasselvander
PINK FLOYD - Barrett/Waters/Wright/Mason
PLACE OF SKULLS - Griffin/Abney/Tomaselli
QUEEN - Mercury/May/Deacon/Taylor
RAINBOW - Blackmore/Dio/Bain/Carey/Powell
RAVEN - Gallagher/Gallagher/Hunter
RIOT - Forrester (or Speranza)/Reale/Ventura/Leming/Slavin
SAVATAGE - Oliva/Oliva/Collins/Wacholz
SAXON - Byford/Oliver/Quinn/Dawson/Gill
SCORPIONS - Meine/R. Schenker/Roth/Bucholz/Rarebell
TYGERS OF PAN TANG - Cox/Weir/Laws/Dick
U.D.O. - Dirkschneider/Kaufman/Gianola/Wienhold/Milani
UFO - Mogg/Way/Schenker (or Chapman)/Parker/Raymond
URIAH HEEP - Byron/Box/Hensley/Thain/Kerslake
VENOM - Cronos (Lant)/Mantas (Dunn)/Abaddon (Bray)
VOIVOD - Snake (Bélanger)/Piggy (D'Amour)/Away (Langevin)/Blackie (Thériault)
WARRIOR - McCarty (or Rock)/Floyd/Asakawa/Turgon/Volpe
YES - Anderson/Squire/Howe/Wakeman/Bruford (or White)
ZAPPA - Zappa/Belew/Bozzio/O'Hearn/Mars/Brock/Mann

DEEP PURPLE and THIN LIZZY are difficult for me, because I like most of the different (early) lineups equally...

Last edited by TrogDawn on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

ultmetal wrote:
ghost wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Phil Taylor was one sick drummer! Got to see him when he reunited with the band in the mid-80's.

Indeed no bad Motörhead line-up and no bad Motörhead album!

I'm not sure, but I think that I saw Philhy only once on the 'Lights Out Over Europe'-Tour (1916-album). Unfortunately I never saw Eddie Clarke or Brian Robertson playing live.

'Another Perfect Day' is still one of my favorite albums. I was blown away when it came out and never understood why it was refused from some fans. But to be honest Brian did not fit in the band and it's image it was not the music that did not worked. Have you read 'White Line Fever'? Lemmy says some interesting things about that aera.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 1:52 pm

ghost wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
ghost wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Indeed no bad Motörhead line-up and no bad Motörhead album!

I'm not sure, but I think that I saw Philhy only once on the 'Lights Out Over Europe'-Tour (1916-album). Unfortunately I never saw Eddie Clarke or Brian Robertson playing live.

'Another Perfect Day' is still one of my favorite albums. I was blown away when it came out and never understood why it was refused from some fans. But to be honest Brian did not fit in the band and it's image it was not the music that did not worked. Have you read 'White Line Fever'? Lemmy says some interesting things about that aera.

Yes. Good book. I might have to read that book again.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 pm

TESTAMENT-Skolnick/Billy/Clemente/Peterson/Christian
ANTHRAX-Belladonna/Spitz/Bello/Benante/Ian
SLAYER-w/Lombardo of course
MEGADETH-Mustaine/Ellefson/Freidman/Menza
EXODUS-with Zetro
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
TESTAMENT-Skolnick/Billy/Clemente/Peterson/Christian
ANTHRAX-Belladonna/Spitz/Bello/Benante/Ian
SLAYER-w/Lombardo of course
MEGADETH-Mustaine/Ellefson/Freidman/Menza
EXODUS-with Zetro

Add to the list:
DARK ANGEL - w/ Ron Rinhart

PostSubject: Re: Favorite band line-ups...   Favorite band line-ups... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite band line-ups...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next