Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Band

Go down 
+27
exact33
thejokeriv
nevermore
MoonChild
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
ghost
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
Wrecked Neck
choosemetal
ohwellmonkey
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
glassprison
tohostudios
BearOnUnicycle
Thelemech
journeyman
Leatherface
80s Metal Lady
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Lari
the sentinel
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 am

Bolt Thrower
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 12:57 am

It's a three way tie between Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Usurper.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 2:58 am

Really hard for me to pick between Slayer, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond or Judas Priest. If I had to pick out of those three I guess just for quantity and overall quality, I'd have to go with MF/KD. Then of course there's the whole Pink Floyd problem, because I really really really really love them also. Smile
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 3:09 am

Iron Maiden which started with the music video of Fear Of The Dark in 1993. I then got all the available tapes at a used tape store (dating myself with that one).

Closely followed by Savatage. Again from a music video, Edge Of Thorns again in 1993 (the debut of it on Headbanger's Ball).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 am

Through middle school and the early part of high school it was Motley Crue. Then I went through a Christian music only phase much like some others here have and started getting into Stryper more and more. I liked them before but they really took a special place in my heart after becoming a Christian. And so now fast forward 20 some years and they still remain my all time favorite.

If I threw in a runner up it would probably be Forbidden or Megadeth or maybe Testament or maybe even Dangerous Toys or Tora Tora. Sheesh see how hard this is to pick just one. Haha
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 am

Motorhead since 1980 when I saw them in a music show.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 8:29 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Through middle school and the early part of high school it was Motley Crue. Then I went through a Christian music only phase much like some others here have and started getting into Stryper more and more. I liked them before but they really took a special place in my heart after becoming a Christian. And so now fast forward 20 some years and they still remain my all time favorite.

If I threw in a runner up it would probably be Forbidden or Megadeth or maybe Testament or maybe even Dangerous Toys or Tora Tora. Sheesh see how hard this is to pick just one. Haha

I definitely respect how you and a lot of others here have a wide range of favorites. A message board full of elitist snobs we are not! Smile
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 9:41 am

Allman Brothers Band all the way.

My metal favorite at the moment is Eluveitie.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 9:45 am

Saxon - With King's X in a very close second. Non-metal, and my inspiration for most everything - Bob Marley.

First heard Saxon while dirtbiking in a very messed-up gravel quarry while wearing white jeans about 60 miles out of the Cities. The year was 1983 and the album was "The Eagle Has Landed". Before that I was ALL about The Clash, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc. King's X came later when the "KING" video first came out. Total fanboy since that moment.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 10:35 am

AC/DC - ever since I heard them the first time. The first album I listened and bought was For Those About To Rock, and haven't turned back since............ They are the best, still the best.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 am

KISS. I got into them when I was like 7 or 8 years old thanks to my older neighbors. When I first heard them I thought it was the most incredible thing ever. The band was a cross between rock & roll and superheroes at that time and that highly appealed to me. And they are still my all time favorite to this day.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 11:45 am

When I was younger, KISS was my favorite. The first album I every owned was Destroyer. .....

But Iron Maiden took overy the top spot years ago.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Saxon - With King's X in a very close second.  Non-metal, and my inspiration for most everything - Bob Marley.

First heard Saxon while dirtbiking in a very messed-up gravel quarry while wearing white jeans about 60 miles out of the Cities.  The year was 1983 and the album was "The Eagle Has Landed".  Before that I was ALL about The Clash, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc.  King's X came later when the "KING" video first came out.  Total fanboy since that moment.

Cool story, thanks, Uncle. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 pm

James B. wrote:
Allman Brothers Band all the way.

My metal favorite at the moment is Eluveitie.

I really thought you were going to pick Icon. Allman Brothers are awesome.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 4:50 pm

This is a tough call but i would probably go with Impellitteri with Keldian a close second. I love most of the bands mentioned in this thread though.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Besides Diamond Dogs and The Angels, some of my other favorites are:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Dropkick Murphys
Less Than Jake
Jethro Tull
The Alarm
The Quireboys
Sonia Dada
Rhino Bucket

Yeah, I know, not a "metal" band in the bunch but I keep saying I'm NOT a metalhead.  You gotta admit that list is kind of all over the place though anyway

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 pm

I would put Rhino bucket and the Quireboys close to metal, toho-y
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 8:31 pm

So would I. The Quireboys have a crap ton of albums. I was on Heavy Harmonies the other day and realized this.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 11:05 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I love Icon but there limited output flounders compared to say Zeppelin, Saxon, Megadeth, and UFO. My "other" favorite bands.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 pm

James B. wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

I love Icon but there limited output flounders compared to say Zeppelin, Saxon, Megadeth, and UFO.  My "other" favorite bands.

Agreed, sir. Smile
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 8:18 am

There are plenty of bands that make it into heavy rotation for me, but when it comes to "favorites," I think I'll have to wander off the metal reservation a bit and hit up the earliest two I was a FANATIC for: Queen and Oingo Boingo.

Oingo Boingo was one of the first that really hit for me - mostly because the album sleeves for their second and third albums were bright, weird and colorful, which appealed to kid me when he was messing around with the 'rents' record collection. Of course, you put those albums on and the music is... bright, weird and colorful. I was also a big Kiss fan at the time for the same reason, but they didn't stick in my psyche as much. Fast forward to high school and I, for whatever reason, got a wild hair to revisit the mighty Boingo since it'd been years on since we'd had the means to play records in the house. I scored all of their albums on CD at the same time (ah, teenage jobs) and started working my way through the catalog. Easily one of my top favorites from the "unfamiliar" albums was Dark at the End of the Tunnel, which the nascent internet told me was their worst album. It was subdued and dark and I LOVED it. It's still in my top 10 overall.

For Queen, I got to them the way a lot of people did: Bohemian Rhapsody. For whatever reason, that song amused me to no end as a teenager (I'm a little over that one at this point) and I wanted to hear more. My Mom had been a huge fan up to the 80s and then sort of gave up on them, so I had a wealth of 70s material to dig into and then I started off into the unfamiliar waters of their later work, which I'd been impressed upon was awful stuff. The great joy I felt realizing I liked The Miracle or The Game, or even the pinnacle: Innuendo... That was awesome. It was my first experience with having the sense of "my" version of the band. The same thing happened with Jethro Tull - many of the albums slagged by most fans are my favorites, so it feels like I have my own secret discography. Nobody's overplaying or overhyping my favorite tracks. It's probably a bit stupid, but I have a lot of fun with it even now.

Anyone else have their favorite tracks that are "sleepers" for other fans of the band in question?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 10:29 am

If I had to list songs, it would take a whole page. Ha. So, I will give a few "sleeper" albums instead:

Dio's "Sacred Heart" Kind of shunned by those who were there from the beginning, but for me, not a bad track on the album. Hungry for Heaven holds a special place in any ones heart that put on the headgear and entered the ring.

Europe's "Wings of Tomorrow" is overshadowed by the multi platinum "Countdown" album, but to my ears, this is their finest hour (or 38:49). I remember buying it shortly after Countdown came out and just falling in love with it as it was a little heavier and had more punch. And, John Norum rips it up on this platter.

Ozzy's "Ultimate Sin" as I have so many memories of riding my bike as a kid with my Walkman. Ha. The opening riff to Lightning Strikes struck me like the proverbial bolt!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 2:27 pm

the sentinel wrote:
If I had to list songs, it would take a whole page. Ha. So, I will give a few "sleeper" albums instead:

Dio's "Sacred Heart" Kind of shunned by those who were there from the beginning, but for me, not a bad track on the album. Hungry for Heaven holds a special place in any ones  heart that put on the headgear and entered the ring.

Ozzy's "Ultimate Sin" as I have so many memories of riding my bike as a kid with my Walkman. Ha. The opening riff to Lightning Strikes struck me like the proverbial bolt!

Oh yeah. I'm Ozzy hater, but quite like Ultimate Sin. And Sacred Heart is my go-to Dio album usually, tied with Dream Evil. In case of Ronnie I believe going slightly lighter is beneficial. Lyrics don't bother me so SH works wonders. Honeslty like every song on it except Shoot Shoot and Fallen Angels, which thankfully are the last ones making it a very solid 7 tracks platter.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 8:06 pm

Senti - you are 41 yrs old. Totally understand your favs. I was 16 when Sacred Heart. Ultimate Sin, etc came out. The hair got bigger and the production bigger, as well. But that year is why Turbo is my fav JP album [which is sacrilege to most metal fans]. C'mon! Heavy Metal Parking Lot anyone? The Turbo tour opening of Out in the Cold? Stellar stuff.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 8:22 pm

the sentinel wrote:

So would I. The Quireboys have a crap ton of albums. I was on Heavy Harmonies the other day and realized this.

Wow, I just noticed this post. I'll give you Rhino Bucket but if you guys think The Quireboys are close to metal you obviously haven't heard them lately. These days they're barely even rock.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Band   Your Favorite Band - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Band
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next