Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Delta Deep

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Interesting project here.

Quote :
Delta Deep Deltadeepband1

Phil Collen, lead guitarist of DEF LEPPARD, has announces the release of his new blues-based music project DELTA DEEP. Collen recorded the mix of original and hand-picked cover tracks with fellow DELTA DEEP bandmates Debbi Blackwell-Cook (back-up vocalist for such artists as Michael Buble and Luther Vandross), Forrest Robinson (drummer for India.Arie, Joe Sample & The Crusaders, TLC), and Robert DeLeo (bassist for STONE TEMPLE PILOTS). Their self-titled debut album will be released on June 23 on Mailboat Records and also features special guest appearances by DEF LEPPARD vocalists Joe Elliott, WHITESNAKE's David Coverdale, SEX PISTOLS/MANRAZE drummer Paul Cook, and GIRL/MANRAZE bassist Simon Laffy.

Collen initially started DELTA DEEP in 2012 after jamming at home over the course of a year with friend and relative Debbi Blackwell-Cook (Blackwell-Cook is the godmother of Collen's wife, Helen). What started as a casual pairing singing Motown and classic blues staples while Debbi frequently visited Collen's home quickly turned into much more. Collen, Helen, and Debbi began writing original music which Collen and Debbi recorded in Collen's home studio. Later that year, a chance meeting re-acquainted Collen with Memphis native and enigmatic heavy metal, jazz, and R&B drummer Forrest Robinson. A friend suggested giving STP bassist Robert DeLeo a call. Sharing a loving affinity for soul, funk and the blues, DeLeo was the perfect fit. According to Collen: "We really wanted Robert in this band. He had the added firepower of being the premiere pioneer and most 'badass bass player' to come out of the alternative rock explosion."

The best description of DELTA DEEP, a multi-racial band, has been "Aretha and Tina in their prime singing over early ZEPPELIN." Original song and lead-off single "Bang The Lid" introduces the musical synchronicity of Collen, Blackwell-Cook, DeLeo and Robinson. Blackwell-Cook also duets with Collen on the album tracks as well as with featured vocalists Joe Elliott ("Mistreated") and WHITESNAKE's David Coverdale ("Private Number"). Legendary SEX PISTOLS drummer Paul Cook and Collen's former bandmate from GIRL, bass player Simon Laffy, guest on the classic cover "Black Coffee". Guesting on the DELTA DEEP original song "Burnt Sally" is keyboardist CJ Vanston (Tina Turner, TOTO, Joe Cocker, Carol King) adding to the soulful tune on the Hammond 3 Organ.

Collen is widely known to millions of rock 'n' roll fans for his iconic albums with DEF LEPPARD. When asked what made him decide to do a blues project, Collen responded, "Blues was created out of something completely different from what we hear today.

"I grew up listening to rock music but then I found out it was all based on blues. Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimi Hendrix, all of those guys….they got it from the blues.

"When I hear Debbi sing, I can hear the pain.

"She's an incredibly beautiful 62-year-old black woman who has been through things and she can sing through her pain. Not everyone can do that and not everyone sounds like Debbi."

While many artists aim to make their mark by creating new genres or introducing their own new versions of music, Collen and DELTA DEEP melded their blues inspirations with who they are as artists and are unleashing that expression onto the world.

Delta Deep Deltadepcdcover

The sample sounds surprisingly good. Definitely has Leppard-sounding chorus. Looking forward to hearing the rest.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Love Leppard !!! And this side project seems like it will sound awesome. New one to add to the want list.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 4:51 am

Reminds me of the movie Crossroads. I'm surprised Steve Vai isn't one of the guest players.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 am

Interesting. I'd probably give this a shot for the right price.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 2:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Interesting. I'd probably give this a shot for the right price.

If I remember correct, you're a fan of The Black Crowes. If so, I can see you enjoying this.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 am

Dig the girl's voice and the vibe, but the guitar tone is way wrong for that type of blues (IMHDO)

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 5:56 pm

James B. wrote:
Dig the girl's voice and the vibe, but the guitar tone is way wrong for that type of blues (IMHDO)

Typical for someone that discovers something they like but have no background in it. Phil Collen is good at what he does in Def Leppard, but he doesn't have a clue about a proper blues sound. He needs to study and practice some SRV.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

Typical for someone that discovers something they like but have no background in it. Phil Collen is good at what he does in Def Leppard, but he doesn't have a clue about a proper blues sound. He needs to study and practice some SRV.

There is no such thing as a "proper blues sound."
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

Well yeah, there is a certain sound that is associated (tone wise) with the blues. If some kid went in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and plugged in a modern guitar to a typical amp and started playing, it's probably not gonna sound right. Do you think (if he were alive) SRV would sound bluesy if he was playing on Kerry King's gear? Even if he was playing the chords and notes like he always does, it won't have the right sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 9:50 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

Well yeah, there is a certain sound that is associated (tone wise) with the blues. If some kid went in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and plugged in a modern guitar to a typical amp and started playing, it's probably not gonna sound right. Do you think (if he were alive) SRV would sound bluesy if he was playing on Kerry King's gear? Even if he was playing the chords and notes like he always does, it won't have the right sound.

I get what you're saying. I haven't heard enough of this new Delta Deep album to make a fair assessment, but I have heard guitarists that try and play the blues and it just doesn't sound right. There is a certain feel or vibe to the blues that not everyone has, no matter how technically proficient they are.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am

Eyesore wrote:

That is funny stuff right there.

Let's put Yngwie in Savoy Brown or Rory Gallagher in Megadeth and see how that works out.

Tone and technique mean "everything" in just about every type of music out there. Seems like Ken is hitting the crack pipe or something.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

And yet there are countless different "techniques and tones" throughout the history of blues. Suggesting there is a "proper sound" is ludicrous.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And yet there are countless different "techniques and tones" throughout the history of blues. Suggesting there is a "proper sound" is ludicrous.

Dude, you're trying too hard to defend something you know is BS...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

No, not BS at all.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 12:26 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

No, not BS at all.

Yeah, it is.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

These guys released a Christmas tune available on itunes for those interested...

Delta Deep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delta Deep   Delta Deep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Delta Deep
Page 1 of 1