Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions

Go down 
+2
Lari
Required Fields
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Empty
PostSubject: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 7:06 pm

EASTERN CONFERENCE

New York Rangers (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd wild card)
The New York Rangers won the Presidents' Trophy in the regular season for the first time since 1994, which was also the last time they won the Stanley Cup. This year, in the opening round of the playoffs, they face the Pittsburgh Penguins, who many expected to finish towards the top of the standings at the beginning of the regular season, but stumbled down the stretch, and were the last team to clinch a playoff spot. Despite the disappointing season as a whole, Penguins goaltender Marc-André Fleury was one of the best goaltenders during the regular season, leading the league in shutouts with 10. The Rangers won the regular season series with a 3-0-1 record. Last year, during the playoffs, the two teams met in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, in which the Rangers won in seven games.
Prediction: New York Rangers in six games.

Montréal Canadiens (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. Ottawa Senators (1st wild card)
The Ottawa Senators provided the league with one of its most captivating stories all season during the second half. Halfway through the season, the team was pretty much written off, but then the Senators called up goaltender Andrew Hammond from the minors, and caught fire, with Hammond's amazing play leading to Ottawa locking up a playoff spot on the last day of the season. Hammond was a phenomenal 20-1-2 with a superb .941 save percentage, a fantastic 1.79 GAA, and three shutouts. Montréal goaltender Carey Price led the league with 44 wins during the regular season.
Prediction: Montréal Canadiens in seven games.

Tampa Bay Lightning (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Detroit Red Wings (3rd in Atlantic Division)
The Detroit Red Wings qualified for the playoffs for the 24th straight season, which is the longest active streak in professional sports. They face the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. The Lightning hope that the presence of goaltender Ben Bishop will help; last year, Bishop was injured down the stretch and the Lightning were swept in the opening round by the Montréal Canadiens. Detroit had a great first two thirds of the season, but began to falter a bit late in the season; they hope that they will find the form they had earlier in the season.
Prediction: Tampa Bay Lightning in six games.

Washington Capitals (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. New York Islanders (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
Both the Islanders and Capitals return to the post-season after missing out in 2014. This series marks the first time the two teams meet in the playoffs since 1993, a series best remembered for Washington forward Dale Hunter's dirty hit on Islanders forward Pierre Turgeon; the Islanders won the series in six games. That was also the last time the Islanders advanced beyond the opening round of the playoffs; they made it to the third round that season, where they lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion, the Montréal Canadiens, in five games. Both teams have a player who is amongst the game's top offensive threats; the Capitals have Alexander Ovechkin, who led the league in goals with 53, and the Islanders have John Tavares, who finished second in the league in points during the regular season. The teams have met in the playoffs six times, with the Islanders winning five of them.
Prediction: New York Islanders in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Anaheim Ducks (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Winnipeg Jets (2nd wild card)
The Anaheim Ducks, who finished as the Western Conference's top team during the regular season for the second year in a row, face the Winnipeg Jets, who are in the playoffs for the first time since moving from Atlanta in 2011. This marks the first time these two franchises have met in the playoffs. The Ducks won all three games against the Jets during the regular season, although one of those wins came in overtime and another one of them was in a shootout.
Prediction: Anaheim Ducks in five games.

St. Louis Blues (1st in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (1st wild card)
St. Louis and Minnesota played against each other on the last day of the regular season, and now they play each other in the opening round of the playoffs. After a disappointing first half of the season, Minnesota took off in the second half and qualified for the playoffs for the third season in a row, a franchise record. The Blues were one of the top teams in the regular season, but have not advanced beyond the opening round of the playoffs since 2012. This marks the first playoff meeting between the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild so far.
Prediction: St. Louis Blues in six games.

Vancouver Canucks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Calgary Flames (3rd in Pacific Division)
This marks the sixth time that the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames have met in the playoffs (Calgary has won four of the five meeting thus far). The past three times the two teams have met, the winner ended up making it all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. Calgary defeated Vancouver in 1989 in the opening round and went on to win their only Stanley Cup ever. Five years later, in 1994, they met again; this time Vancouver was victorious and went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost to the New York Rangers. In 2004, Calgary defeated Vancouver in the opening round, and eventually made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning. The regular season series was close, with each team winning two of the four games, one at home and one away from home; however, the Flames earned an extra point with an overtime loss in one game.
Prediction: Vancouver Canucks in six games.

Nashville Predators (2nd in Central Division) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (3rd in Central Division)
The Nashville Predators, predicted by most not to make it to the playoffs, shocked the hockey world by having the best record in the league as late as February. They started to slump a bit down the stretch, but still have home ice advantage during the opening round of the playoffs. They face the Chicago Blackhawks, who won the only previous meeting between the two teams in the playoffs, defeating the Predators in the opening round of the 2010 playoffs before winning the Stanley Cup. The Blackhawks won three of the four meetings between the two teams during the regular season.
Prediction: Nashville in seven games.

Last edited by Required Fields on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 pm

I'll use your format.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

New York Rangers (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd wild card)
The Rangers were my pick to win last season, before the season started. I like what they have. Best defense you will find anywhere, top class goaltending, they also went deep last year. What's not to like? Problem is the Penguins are a mystery team. They have the single best hockey player in the world playing for them. Despite their recent slump, they have unbelievable potential if they manage to break through. A tough matchup to predict.
Prediction: New York Rangers in seven games.

Montréal Canadiens (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. Ottawa Senators (1st wild card)
Regular season means nothing. The hottest team will advance, and there's no team hotter than the Ottawa Senators. Hamburglar will lead the Sens to victory. The Habs will maybe take one game, but this won't be too close.
Prediction: Ottawa Senators in five games.

Tampa Bay Lightning (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Detroit Red Wings (3rd in Atlantic Division)
The Bolts haven't proven to be a great playoff team yet. The Red Wings are traditionally a successful franchise. However, they've been kind of bad for a couple of years now. Beyond the top two teams, this division was a little easy, so don't be fooled by "ooh it's the Red Wings". This is not a contending team. They'll still put a scare on Bolts fans, but this series is Tampa's to lose.
Prediction: Tampa Bay Lightning in six games.

Washington Capitals (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. New York Islanders (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
A team on the rise against a one-trick pony. Well, the Caps do have more structure this season with Barry Trotz, and Ovechkin isn't a minus million. Still, I like the Islanders here a lot. They are a fun team to watch, and if they play up to their potential, they will break Holtby and advance. Ovechkin will be closely guarded, and can not and will not score.
Prediction: New York Islanders in four games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Anaheim Ducks (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Winnipeg Jets (2nd wild card)
Ducks looked solid in the regular season, but the Jets have been impressive lately. Neither team has quality goaltending, so I don't expect either to advance past round one, but it'll be a damn good battle here. The Ducks have some of the biggest stars in the league, but I'll take the Jets in a 7-game series. It'll come down to heart, and a single bounce. Who has it, and who doesn't.
Prediction: Winnipeg Jets in seven games.

St. Louis Blues (1st in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (1st wild card)
The Blues have their share of playoff ghosts to shed. A perennial post-season underachiever, after the regular season they had, this team needs to win this year. Problem is, they just got unlucky and are facing the single hottest team in the league. Ever since Devan Dubnyk joined the Wild he's been like a godking from Mount Olympus, or something. The Blues might be the higher seed, but I really don't think they have much of a chance here. The Wild are stingy, they play tight, they have unreal goaltending and regular season means nothing.
Prediction: Minnesota Wild in four games.

Vancouver Canucks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Calgary Flames (3rd in Pacific Division)
The Flames have been doing well lately, but they don't really have the kind of material to go deep. The Canucks don't either, but they've got a pair of superstars that can make a difference here. It's a tough matchup to predict, and I like the Flames better, but honestly I've got to pick the Nucks.
Prediction: Vancouver Canucks in six games.

Nashville Predators (2nd in Central Division) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (3rd in Central Division)
Having watched the Hawks and having seen the Preds quite a lot too, this is a pairing of two bad-looking teams of which either could potentially go deep or even win it all. IF they played up to their potential. After a miraculous first half, the Preds have been cold this whole calendar year. Rinne let a Vezina slip by, and is back to being a mortal. Hawks haven't won a game in two weeks, but they are a playoff team and can tune in quickly. Without their most clutch playoff performer Pat Kane though, I'll take the Preds.
Prediction: Nashville in five games.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 9:42 pm

And I think we'll see the Wild beat the Senators in the cup finals. Unless the Rangers and Chris Kreider can knock off the Hamburglar in the East Finals!
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 1:00 pm

I like the way you think, Lari. This time around anyways! haha
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 1:58 pm

So hope you're wrong about the 'hawks, Lari but they haven't looked good. The only one I strongly disagree with you on is the St. Louis, think they'll make that a better series then just four games.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Eastern Conference

Rangers in 5: The Pens are just lacking this year due to injuries and what not
Canadiens in 6: The Senators are due for a fall back to Earth
Lightning in 6 : like RF said, this ain't the Red Wings of old
Islanders in 5 : they just have too much all around for the Caps to overcome

Western Conference

Admittedly I know very little about the Conference so let's see what I can come up with

Ducks in 6 over the Jets
Blues over the Wild in 7
Canucks over the Flames in 5
Predators over the Blackhawks in 7
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 5:50 pm

http://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks-hockey/7/71/516283/video-patrick-kane-returns-full-contact-practice-blackhawks
Hmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 6:51 pm

NHL.com experts looove the Hawks:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=763063&navid=nhl:topheads

9/10 picked the Hawks over Preds, and 6/10 think they'll go all the way scratch
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Wow. They have the talent but the heart hasn't been there.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 pm

BlackCocks.
I am offended.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 12:41 am

What a game.

Preds take a 3-0 lead in the first... Hawks win the game 4-3 in double overtime.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Whooooohoooo, Darling. Crawford wasn't bad except for that one huge mistake but the Hawks D played better for Darling. Kane looked good too.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Another win for the 'hawks. I have hope.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 pm

The Penguins actually shocked me the other night with the win. I never expected them to split up in New York.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 pm

007 wrote:
The Penguins actually shocked me the other night with the win. I never expected them to split up in New York.

I don't know why not? It's a pretty evenly matched pairing, as expected. Pens could've had 3 wins if not for clutch plays by the Rangers (and getting the right calls).

I think it'll go 7.

Hawks are up 2-1 against the Preds, but truthfully that last game was the only time they were the better team on the ice. Darling stole game one. But game 3 was so convincing, I think and hope they'll handle the Preds with equal ease tonight. 3-1 will be a hole Nashville can't get out of. Missing Weber and Fisher is pretty visible, too.

I watched game three of the Jets and the Ducks last night, and that's a pretty crazy series. The Jets have had the lead in each game after two periods, but have blown it each time and are now down 0-3. They really play lousy in their own zone, and end up turning the puck over. The teams are really evenly matched, and little mistakes decide games. I had the Jets advancing from this series, and I'm sure they'll again play hard and almost win next game. But then fumble, and get swept.

The Islanders and the Flames also have a chance to go for the throat tonight, and I hope both teams do. But most of all - LET'S GO HAWKS!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 pm

I just have no confidence in the Penguins. They've looked very weak the last half of the season. They barely squeaked into the playoffs. I realize anything can happen in a 7 game series but still...
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Someone said this on the suit Don Cherry wore on Coach's Corner on Friday night: "It looked like a garden exploded on him."

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Wow, Hunger Games anyone?

Anyways, 'hawks pulled out another one. Hopefully they start finding the net better.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 am

I'm really hoping the Blues can pull it off this year...
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Anaheim became the first time to advance last night.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 am

Bolts and 'Nucks tie up their series' tonight. I hate Detroit so it was sweet to see them fumble a 2-0 lead in the third, and lose. I wasn't too happy about the Capitals taking it to Long Island. A sympathetic team the Isles have, so I'm still hoping they'll turn it around.

Hawks - Predators was amazing up-tempo hockey for two periods. Then one team stayed in the locker room after the second intermission and never showed up. No excuses, Hawks were shit there in the third. Preds were better, and they live to fight another day.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am

I believe the Rangers will close out their series tonight. The Penguins just don't have it this year, even though all the games have been very close
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 pm

I agree on the 'hawks, they phoned in that last period. I think they are assuming they can win on pure talent and don't have to give much effort.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Isles extend their series to a game 7.

Hawks beat Nashville 4-3 in game six, after being down 1-3. Have a nice summer, Predators.

Canucks still have life, 4-4 in the third in Calgary, but the Flames have momentum. This should end tonight.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 pm

See ya next season, Ott - Ya punk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next