Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite albums of the year

Go down 
+4
MoonChild
Lari
corplhicks
A Handful of Wayne
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I own a whopping four (!) 1973 releases - Led Zep's Houses of the Holy, Alice's Billion Dollar Babies, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and Aerosmith's debut.

They're all quality of course, but I've had the Aerosmith album the longest and have probably played it more times than all of the other three combined, so it gets the win.

And those are good releases to have. I'm not a Pink Floyd fan tho.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
manny wrote:
1972 it would be

Deep Purple- Machine Head- Just pure class

Alice Cooper- School's Out- a very diverse album and probably the most diverse album of their career.

This is another Cooper album that I should like the whole thing of but as I was skimming threw it the other day just to get a quick refresh of it I remembered why I didn't care for most of it. Like you said, its very diverse but I don't think its diverse in a good way. Some stuff just does nothing for me. Of course the opening track is a huge favorite but maybe 2 or 3 more songs and thats it for me on that album.

I have to disagree I think its diversity is the album's strength and show how much skill this band had as musicians, something people forget since they were busy focusing on Alice's antics on stage.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm

And those are good releases to have. I'm not a Pink Floyd fan tho.

I've never been more than a casual Floyd fan myself -- I don't go chasing down their albums -- but if they happen to cross my path on the cheap I pick them up. The only ones I have at the moment are Dark Side... and Animals.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Now things are starting to pick up, at least for me. I'm sure SD has a bigger list tho lol!

Aerosmith- Get Your Wings
Blue Oyster Cult- Secret Treaties
David Bowie- Diamond Dogs
Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Judas Priest- Rocka Rolla
Kiss- S/T
Kiss- Hotter Than Hell
Thin Lizzy- Night Life

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:12 pm

The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (my first LP)
Rush - Rush
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Camel - Mirage
Deep Purple - Burn
Yes - Relayer
Jethro Tull - War Child
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Queen - Queen II
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
Kansas - Kansas
Nektar - Down To Earth
Eloy - Floating
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Budgie - In For The Kill
UFO - Phenomenon
Bad Company - Bad Company
Buffalo - Only Want You For Your Body
Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grill
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla
Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Electric Light Orchestra - El Dorado
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Utopia
Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Thin Lizzy - Nightlife
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:18 pm

It's got to be Phenomenon by UFO. Michael Schenker joins and magic happens. They get a little better later on, but obviously Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor end up being their most popular songs.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Doctor Doctor is the only song i ever heard of theirs

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 pm

KISS - S/T
KISS - Hotter Than Hell
Rush - S/T
UFO - Phenomenon
Thin Lizzy - Nightlife
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Damn it way way too many, but ok

Queen II

and Deep Purple-Burn
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

Lari wrote:
It's got to be Phenomenon by UFO. Michael Schenker joins and magic happens. They get a little better later on, but obviously Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor end up being their most popular songs.

I know absolutely nothing of this band. I've probably heard those 2 songs a couple times but remember nothing of them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

I gotta go with KISS' 2 1974 releases. They're the only albums I have that were released that year.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 am

Once again, I own a big fat four (!) releases from 1974...and two of them are by KISS Laughing very hard

KISS - s/t and Hotter than Hell

I gotta go with the KISS debut cuz it's still one of my favorite albums to this day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 10:08 pm

007 wrote:
Lari wrote:

I know absolutely nothing of this band. I've probably heard those 2 songs a couple times but remember nothing of them.

Same here

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm

manny wrote:
Damn it way way too many, but ok

Queen II

and Deep Purple-Burn

List what you want, theres no limits look at SD lol

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Once again, I own a big fat four (!) releases from 1974...and two of them are by KISS Laughing very hard

KISS - s/t and Hotter than Hell

I gotta go with the KISS debut cuz it's still one of my favorite albums to this day.

and those 4 are great lol!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Aerosmith- Toys In The Attic
Alice Cooper- Welcome To My Nightmare
Kiss- Dressed To Kill
Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffitti
Queen- A Night At The Opera
Richie Blackmores Rainbow- S/T
Thin Lizzy- Fighting

Welcome To My Nightmare would be the last really great Alice Cooper album for a while.
I remember when I really got into Aerosmith back in Junior High. I listened to Toys In The Attic non stop.
Physical Graffitti, I don't like every song on the whole album, but there is so many songs that it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Phoenix Reign Drummer on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Oh well there's three nearly perfect albums. Physical Graffiti and Force It might just be the best albums by Led Zep and UFO respectively, but if I really think about it, I'll just have to go with Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Personal bias, but I just love it so much. Temple of the King and the Man on the Silver Mountain are both among my favourite songs ever. Right up there with the best songs ever made.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 8:39 pm

DOH! Your right I have to add that to my list!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Wow! I'm moving up in the world, I own a whole FIVE releases from 1975...

KISS - Dressed to Kill and Alive!
Rush - Fly By Night
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Soundtrack

Once again I gotta give it to Aerosmith... cuz as much as I love KISS, Dressed To Kill is one of the weaker albums from the original lineup (save for "She" and "Rock and Roll All Nite")... though I was tempted to give the crown to the Rocky Horror soundtrack. "It's just a JUMP to the left..."

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 1:12 am

1975 - I had forgotten how much good stuff came out that year.  However, as I predicted earlier, my lists are getting smaller.   Very Happy

Steely Dan - Katy Lied
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Rush - Fly By Night
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Electric Light Orchestra - Face The Music
Camel - The Snow Goose
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Kiss - Alive!
Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
Robin Trower - For Earth Below
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions Of The Emerald Beyond
Soft Machine - Bundles
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
ZZ Top - Fandango!
Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog
King Crimson - USA
UFO - Force It
Thin Lizzy - Fighting
Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?
Rush - Caress of Steel
Budgie - Bandolier
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Scorpions - In Trance
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 pm

I have 3 releases from '75 KISS' Dressed To Kill and Alive! and Black Sabbath's Sabotage. I would have to go with Alive !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 3:12 pm

When it comes to musical diversity, this place runs the gamut all the way from A to B.  Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 6:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
When it comes to musical diversity, this place runs the gamut all the way from A to B.  Laughing very hard

lol! I think once we get to the 80's things will be a little different. Someones going to have a Madonna in there at some point lol

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Musical diversity is one thing. But to have a favourite album is another. They are not mutually exclusive.

I'd like to see S.D. pick just one album out of those lists. Just to cut through the fatty bits of the collection, dig deep and to truly see his favourite album.

Halfway through the decade, as painful as it's been to pick favourites, I'm at:

1970: Deep Purple in Rock
1971: Master of Reality
1972: Machine Head
1973: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
1974: Phenomenon
1975: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Lari wrote:
Musical diversity is one thing. But to have a favourite album is another. They are not mutually exclusive.

I'd like to see S.D. pick just one album out of those lists. Just to cut through the fatty bits of the collection, dig deep and to truly see his favourite album.

Halfway through the decade, as painful as it's been to pick favourites, I'm at:

1970: Deep Purple in Rock
1971: Master of Reality
1972: Machine Head
1973: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
1974: Phenomenon
1975: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Hahaha SD likes music from the 70's. My list might be like his once we get to the 80's and 90's. Ok well maybe not that extreme but I know they will be a lot longer than they are for the 70's. It should be your absolute favorites. Kinda like if you were stuck on an island and could only bring these cds with you kinda thing. I get SD's list tho, its fine with me. Its a lot of music to really really like and feel passionate about but I get it.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite albums of the year   Favorite albums of the year - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite albums of the year
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next