Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath

Go down 
+13
Short-Fuse
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
Thrasher73
assault_attack
Boris2008
Lari
corplhicks
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Empty
PostSubject: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Nib1blacksabbath

Where does the time go? I was spinning this disc in the car this morning and discovered that it's 20 years old this month (Oc.t 3rd, 1994 to be exact).

This tribute album holds a special place for me as it was my introduction to the deeper cuts and lesser known Sabbath tracks. Along with the "hits", some of the performances went a little deeper for tunes to cover. Even the liner notes got me interested in more Sabbath. It also introduced me to some other bands that performed on it that I wasn't familiar with at the time. Up to that point, I think the only Sabbath I owned was We Sold Our Soul For Rock n Roll, which is a pretty decent greatest hits comp of early Sab material in it's own right.

After hearing this album (and to a lesser extent, the NIB II follow-up), I got more intrigued to dig deeper into the Sabbath catalog, both with Ozzy and the Dio years. While some might argue over the individual performances on both albums (the less said about Buster Rhymes, the better), it succeeded tremendously on the very concept of tribute albums. It made me more curious of the original material and introduced me to new bands.

And since I know this thread will inevitably turn into one of those "Here's MY favorite Sabbath cover that noone knows" anyway, here's your assignment...

Using the same format, create your own Sabbath tribute tracklist. The only parameters:
- it's got to be Ozzy-era only
- keep it to 12 tracks (13 for our European/Japanese friends that always get cool bonus tunes).

YouTube embeds are ok, but not necessary. Just list your 12 favorite Black Sabbath covers. They don't even have to be metal covers, although you will be mocked if you list The Cardigans version of 'Iron Man'. GO!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:42 pm

When did The Cardigans cover "Iron Man?" surprised

But seriously, folks... that album is 20 years old? Damn. I am not 100 percent sure but "N.I.B." may have been the first-ever "tribute album" that I ever bought.

Like MG, it introduced me to a number of Sab tracks that I was unfamiliar with (I believe the only Sabbath album I owned at that time may have been Born Again, so obviously I was WAY behind the eight ball on them) and it encouraged me to start digging deeper into their catalog (a project that is still going on for me to this day)...

I don't have the time or patience to come up with 12 Sabbath covers so I'll just post my personal favorite, Deliverance's take on "After Forever" from their What a Joke album. I like Biohazard's take on the same track on the "N.I.B." album as well, but prefer Deliverance's version overall because A:) They sneak in the riff to "Symptom of the Universe" in the middle, which is bad-ass and B:) Deliverance don't feel the need to drop random "motherf*cker's" every 30 seconds to prove how "down" they are. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:52 pm

CAUTION!! Listening to this version of Iron Man thru to the end will cause your penis to spontaneously turn into a vagina.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm

^^ Good Lord. I thought you were just making that up. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm

White Zombie's "Children of the Grave" cover is so badass!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
White Zombie's "Children of the Grave" cover is so badass!

Yea, that was definitely one of those, "Hey, maybe I should check out this White Zombie band" type moments.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 pm

This was definitely the first tribute album I ever bought. I think I purchased "Kiss My Ass" shortly after this one.

Here's some Black Sabbath covers I like:

1. Pantera - Planet Caravan
2. Pantera - Hole In The Sky
3. Pantera - Electric Funeral
4. Exhorder - Into the Void
5. Slayer - Hand of Doom
6. Orange Goblin - Hand of Doom
7. Orange Goblin - Symptom of the Universe
8. Megadeth - Paranoid
9. White Zombie - Children of the Grave
10. C.O.C. - Lord of This World
11. Anthrax - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
12. Metallica - Sabbra Cadabra
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Still one of my favorite cover/tribute albums! I remember having it on tape.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Yeah that was a good one; ordered it through Columbia House or BMG, whichever I was doing at the time. One of the best 90's moments in music.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:59 pm

I was a Sabbath and Dio fan already when I got this back in 98 or 99. Not a huge fan, or intimately familiar with all their material though. For instance, I didn't know "Symptom of the Universe" because I never heard Sabotage.

But this album didn't do too much for me. A lot of the versions I didn't like, nor do I like them even now. A lot of the artists just don't do much for me. White Zombie, Biohazard, Ugly Kid Joe? Please. I think that Dickinson and pals version of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is the highlight for me. And Solitude by Cathedral. I haven't heard either in a long time. I should spin the album (but watch out, skip button!).
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Orange Goblin - Hand of Doom
Dresden Dolls - War Pigs
Mercury Rev - Planet Caravan
sHeavy - Tomorrows Dream
Megadeth - Never Say Die
Soft Cell - Paranoid
Cathedral - Wheels of Confusion
Spirit Caravan - Wicked World
C.o.C - Lord of this World
Pantera - Electric Funeral
Turisas - Supernaut
Cave In - NIB

Bonus track would be

Voivod - War & Pain Wink

Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'll just post my personal favorite, Deliverance's take on "After Forever" from their What a Joke album. I like Biohazard's take on the same track on the "N.I.B." album as well, but prefer Deliverance's version overall because A:) They sneak in the riff to "Symptom of the Universe" in the middle, which is bad-ass and B:) Deliverance don't feel the need to drop random "motherf*cker's" every 30 seconds to prove how "down" they are. Laughing very hard

I do not know who Deliverance are but that was cool +"Symptom of the Universe" is my favorite iommi riff.   I watched "Weapons of Our Warfare" video from them excellent song. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 2:00 am

I love the Ugly Kid Joe cover of Sweet Leaf,and Bruce Dickinson with Godspeed.
Anthrax-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has been a long time favorite for me as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Anthrax-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has been a long time favorite for me as well.

Love that one. I knew the Anthrax version well before I ever heard the original.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Here's a few Sabbath covers I really dig.

Really love the unique take on "Snowblind," and like their cover of Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name," Solitude's cover of "Heaven And Hell" rivals the original (the quality of the video isn't as good as the album version). I actually think their cover of "Hallowed" is better than the original.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 12:20 am

This band has done some pretty good covers.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm

I like The Cardigans quite a bit in general. I really dig their covers of "Iron Man", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and Ozzy's "Mr. Crowley." I also dig on their cover of "Boys Are Back In Town."

In addition to some already mentioned by others, my own tribute would include Sacred Reich's "Sweet Leaf" and Faith No More's "War Pigs", which is the first version of the song I was familiar with--the one on The Real Thing, not the live version on the tribute.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 7:50 pm

I've been collecting (hoarding, actually) Sabbath covers for the past 13 years and I have enough for 17 FULL volumes of music (at least 2 hours per volume).  I have been distracted by label work for the past several months, but I did manage to make a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sabbatarianism

for the series of compilations once I get around to making all of them. I have covers from literally almost any genre of music you can imagine.

Sabbatarianism wrote:
Sabbatarianism is a compilation series that has been in the works for the past 13 years. It is an exhaustive attempt at gathering as many of the existing covers of Black Sabbath songs out there as possible. The songs have been culled from the 49 current tribute albums available and dozens of covers done by individual artists both in the studio and on stage. The series is currently at 17 volumes!

Anybody interested in this?

And here's my personal contribution:

Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Goatsnake - Who Are You?

This track from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is synth-driven, here Goatsnake covers it with guitars...and cello!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Quote :
17 FULL volumes of music (at least 2 hours per volume).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath   Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next