Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important are the lyrics?

Go down 
+25
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
SAHB Healer
Lurideath
MetallicSeminarian
glassprison
mc666
Rami Airola
80s Metal Lady
just another monkey
Leatherface
DakotaRogers
metalhead777
Runicen
BearOnUnicycle
Glower
Temple of Blood
Lari
James B.
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
ze_mau
Short-Fuse
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

How important are the lyrics? Empty
PostSubject: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

I enjoy metal for the music. Lyrics are totally secondary, to me at least. How important is the lyrical content to you? As you get older do you still identify with the anger and frustration that compose most metal bands songs? Do you enjoy the more humorous aspect of metal such as Zimmer's Hole, M.O.D./S.O.D.,or Scatterbrain? The reason I ask this is because lyrics seem to be of utmost importance to pop and country fans which makes me wonder why they just don't go and read a book of poetry instead....
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am

Short-Fuse wrote:
I enjoy metal for the music. Lyrics are totally secondary, to me at least. How important is the lyrical content to you? As you get older do you still identify with the anger and frustration that compose most metal bands songs? Do you enjoy the more humorous aspect of metal such as Zimmer's Hole, M.O.D./S.O.D.,or Scatterbrain? The reason I ask this is because lyrics seem to be of utmost importance to pop and country fans which makes me wonder why they just don't go and read a book of poetry instead....

100 % agreed. I couldn´t have said is better. lyrics are good to learn english ( in my case )
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am

They're not particularly important to me. I mean, I want to be able to understand them, cuz sometimes I'm known to sing along (poorly) when I'm alone in the car, but I listen to stuff with all manner of lyrical content...

This morning on the way to work I went from listening to Prong to JetBoy to Body Count...all of which have very different lyrical styles. (that B.C. record contains the most "Mother-Effers" I've heard on one album since...well, since the last time I bought a Body Count album, I guess. Laughing very hard)

...and I love Scatterbrain!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 am

Quote :
lyrics seem to be of utmost importance to pop and country fans

This also applies to music targeted to "the fishes". I have seen some "fishes" ( Brasilian "fishes" ) saying that "what really matters in a band is their ideology , THE LYRICS". Goddamn "fishes" !!!!!

But just like the "fishes" the only type of lyrics I don´t like are satanic based lyrics. I like lyrics with social comentaries , personal issues , well written lyrics like those on Napalm Death´s F.E.T.O.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 am

If lyrics were important to me I wouldn't listen to metal. I kind of like bands who sing in other languages, it makes vocals just like another instrument to me.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am

Anthrax lyrics are pretty cool

Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:45 am

Boris2008 wrote:
If lyrics were important to me I wouldn't listen to metal. I kind of like bands who sing in other languages, it makes vocals just like another instrument to me.

I could sugest you some brasilian bands both normal and "fish" bands who actually sing in portuguese.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:27 am

I don't like overtly political lyrics. Other than that, I really don't care.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:31 am

Being that I "personally" believe we are all accountable for what comes out of our mouths.  Lyrics do matter.  Mileage may vary of course and I already know that a lot of people hold a varied opinion.  I  don't really have a little list of bands that are never listened to cause of lyrical content.   Most seem to come across as a gimmick, but ones that go out the way to mock Christ in every song kinda/sorta rub me the wrong way.  On the flip side, overtly turn or burn rammed down your throat on an album does likewise.

opinion

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am

I care about lyrics.

I couldn't listen to nazi/communist stuff, for instance. It just completely ruins everything.

I can look past silly lyrics though. Even if they do make the music less enjoyable.

Last edited by Lari on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am

Less important than the music.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:40 am

I thought it was cool when any band - included the lyrics in the lp.
It made the first few listens for me that much more intense -
as a kid, I saw The DOORS on tv - black and white film - before cable -
I was totally held spell-bound by Morrison's lyrics - and delivery -
Ozzy has some great lyrics - Rob Halford is a superb word crafter too -
I even think that Bon Scott had some really amazing lyrics -
but you have to remember -
these singers had all-star -well rounded -musicians and producers - around them
and together they composed some real time-gems !
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't care. Unless its in Russian and I can perfectly understand all the idiocy they sing about.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:14 pm

I like the left wing type of stuff. I still listen to a lot of music targeted to the "fishes". Sum say its a waste of time. but its still good music. and remember "wasting your time in english is better than wasting your time in kjhfvkcjfhvbkjNESE language"
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:41 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
condescendente

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Lyrics are like icing on a cake - if the cake is good, the icing (hopefully) won't be so bad as to ruin it, but it CAN enhance it if it's particularly good.

That said, some lyrics are so damn bad that they'd crash even amazing music. It's a case-by-case.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Not really all that important to me. I've heard some groan inducing stuff over the years but I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying the music.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

It's case by case. If the music is something very emotional or based around a concept then lyrics can either enhance or detract from it. But if I'm listening to something like thrash, death or grindcore, I don't expect or really care if the lyrics are super thought out or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I guess the importance differs from genre to genre.

But for me, I prefer thought-provoking lyrics that "wow!" I'm rarely impressed, but sometimes the broken English in some of these Teutonic bands' lyrics are a huge turn-off.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:53 pm

My favorite lyrics are about drinking milk while fishing for mermaids in Brasil.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

James B. wrote:
My favorite lyrics are about drinking milk while fishing for mermaids in Brasil.

What about drinking milk from mermaids while in Brasil?
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm a fan of well written lyrics myself.  Reading words written by someone like Gene Hoglan or John Arch are mind blowing to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
just another monkey
Metal novice
Metal novice
just another monkey

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 pm

sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. could you list some lyrics composed by Gene Hoglan in any band he was ? I think I´d be really interested to read such

thanks.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Lyrics aren't terribly important to me. A lot of times, I can't understand them anyway. If. musically, a song is good, clear, intelligent lyrics are a bonus. If lyrics are particularity stupid; however, it can diminish a song's appeal to me even if it is really catchy musically.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 5:50 pm

just another monkey wrote:
sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. could you list some lyrics composed by Gene Hoglan in any band he was ? I think I´d be really interested to read such

thanks.
According to Wikipedia, He wrote most of the lyrics for three of the four Dark Angel albums.

Last edited by metalhead777 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important are the lyrics?   How important are the lyrics? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How important are the lyrics?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next