Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)

Go down 
+22
Orion Crystal Ice
snooloui
exact33
MetalH
Addy
Eyesore
Troublezone
James B.
JDC
Schbopo
DallasBlack
tohostudios
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
thejokeriv
T-Roy
Olafsto
manny
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Empty
PostSubject: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:50 pm

1. vocal prowess
2. quality of riffs
3. quality of drumming
4. quality of bass playing
5. originality
6. quality of lyrics
7. quality of guitar solos
8. production

Choose wisely ......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm

quality of riffs
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Tough question but I guess for me, it pretty much lives and dies by the vocals. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a song start and say "Hey, this sounds pretty good...." then the singer opens his (or her) mouth and it all turns to sheeeeit. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
quality of riffs

That's where I am too.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Tough question but I guess for me, it pretty much lives and dies by the vocals. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a song start and say "Hey, this sounds pretty good...." then the singer opens his (or her) mouth and it all turns to sheeeeit. Laughing

I'm sure you're not alone.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I cannot pick one. It depends on the song, band, etc. It's a culmination of things IMO. A song could have the best riffs known to man, but if the vocals aren't to my liking, then I won't like the song/band. A band could have the best songs in the world, great vocals, riffs, solos, drumming and the production is so crappy it could make the songs unlistenable. To pick only one is sort of impossible IMO.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm leaning towards "vocal prowess" as well, but it's virtually impossible for me to base it on one aspect alone.

But if I'm gonna play by the rules, I guess vocals are the most important aspect, because if they're bad, I'm out.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm

I am not sure I can pick one either, like ULT stated it depends on the band, some bands like Morbid Angel have great riffs etc but David Vincent isn't going to win any awards for quality growling but it fits the music and singer like Rob Halford for example would sound silly IMO singing over those type of riffs.

So many factors going into making a good sing into a great song it is impossible to just pick one.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Vocal prowess.
But of course that alone does not make a good song/band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
quality of riffs
THIS
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
no wait....THIS!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm

OK, let's try something else.

Give each a percentage rating, totalling 100%.

Here's mine:

1. vocal prowess 20%
2. quality of riffs 30%
3. quality of drumming 13%
4. quality of bass playing 5%
5. originality 10%
6. quality of lyrics 5%
7. quality of guitar solos 12%
8. production 5%
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
OK, let's try something else.

Give each a percentage rating, totalling 100%.

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by T-Roy on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 pm

1. vocal prowess 20%
2. quality of riffs 30%
3. quality of drumming 10%
4. quality of bass playing 0%
5. originality 10%
6. quality of lyrics 30%
7. quality of guitar solos 0%
8. production 0%
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 pm

manny wrote:
I am not sure I can pick one either, like ULT stated it depends on the band, some bands like Morbid Angel have great riffs etc but David Vincent isn't going to win any awards for quality growling but it fits the music and singer like Rob Halford for example would sound silly IMO singing over those type of riffs.

So many factors going into making a good sing into a great song it is impossible to just pick one.

Agree
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:33 pm

1. vocal prowess 30%
2. quality of riffs 20%
3. quality of drumming 8%
4. quality of bass playing 8%
5. originality 8%
6. quality of lyrics 10%
7. quality of guitar solos 6%
8. production 10%
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:34 pm

I can easily say the riffs matter most for me.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:34 pm

T-Roy wrote:
1. vocal prowess 20%
2. quality of riffs 30%
5. originality 10%
6. quality of lyrics 30%
8. production 0%

Wow, 0% for guitar solos?

So, for example, the solos in MEGADETH or "Sweet Child O Mine" don't enhance the song at all for you?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 pm

WELL...yes, they do enhance those songs for me big time.

BUT, I really don't care about solo's. It's not something that has ever made or broke a song/band for me. Is that wrong?? lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm

T-Roy listens to them, whatchacall, WOOOOOOARRRRRRRGH bands. Do they even have guitar solos in their songs?
Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Lol

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy listens to them, whatchacall, WOOOOOOARRRRRRRGH bands. Do they even have guitar solos in their songs?
Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Lol
NOT REALLY!!! lol! Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) 604261
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Riffs, songwriting, performance.

Last edited by Jesusandmetal23 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
1. vocal prowess 20%
2. quality of riffs 30%
5. originality 10%
6. quality of lyrics 30%
8. production 0%

Wow, 0% for guitar solos?

So, for example, the solos in MEGADETH or "Sweet Child O Mine" don't enhance the song at all for you?

Excellent examples IMO the best part of 'Sweet Child..' is the guitar solo.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 pm

1. vocal prowess 70%
2. quality of riffs 1%
3. quality of drumming 1%
4. quality of bass playing 1%
5. originality 5%
6. quality of lyrics 5%
7. quality of guitar solos 5%
8. production 12%

And by prowess I don't necessarily mean a singer has to have a technically great voice but he has to at least carry a tune.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Awww, man. I gotta do math? Ugg.
1. vocal prowess 30%
2. quality of riffs 15%
3. quality of drumming 15%
4. quality of bass playing 5%
5. originality 2.5%
6. quality of lyrics 15%
7. quality of guitar solos 15%
8. production 2.5%

PostSubject: Re: Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)   Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most important aspect of a Metal song to you (pick ONLY one)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next