Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

White Trash

Go down 
+7
stormspell
tohostudios
chewie
jstate
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
11 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 3:10 am

Anyone remember this band? I used to have the cassette tape when their debut first hit the scene and I loved it, and that was before I started getting into rock and metal (I was 11). Well the tape died and I forgot all about them until a few days ago when I was browsing a Goodwill and happened upon the CD of the same album. God, it's even better than I remember it. They didn't fit in well or last long since they were metallic rock with horns essentially. Lead singer had a killer voice and the guitarist could shred. Very 90's of course and a little happy, but enough cynicism and wit to good dance vibes at bay. Wish they would have gone further.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 8:18 am

I remember 'em, thought they were irritating though....Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 am

When I first heard the band name back in the day I was completely expecting them to be along the lines of something like Every Mother's Nightmare.  So that threw me when I did get to hear them.  The other problem I had was it seemed like warmed over metallic RHCP to me.  And by 91 my RHCP fandom was on the decline.  So those two things pretty much meant I ignored them.  Today I'd have a more open mind for it and wouldn't put it back if I found it cheap.  In fact the few samples off youtube ain't bad at all to my ears.  

Seems like they came around at the absolute worst time though for a band to be marketed as they were (metal) but not really having a sound that would translate to that crowd.  A couple of years later and they could have fit in nicely with the Alternative rock scene I figure.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 am

This is the first I've ever heard of them. Not my thing.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Pretty Jammin'!!!

I remember during that time period there were a few of those bands in the SF Bay Area scene.
You need to check out:
Fungo Mungo
Psychefunkapus
Dizzy Bam.

The first two are more into the thrashfunk sound.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 pm

I have this one:

White Trash 51KHSS6BPJL

I haven't listened to it in forever though.  I used to have an aversion to horns (which given my current affinity for Mighty Mighty Bosstones I've obviously overcome).  I need to dig this one out again because I think it was the horns that put me off.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:23 am

Yeah, a decade ago this album was littering every $0.99 cut-out bin around. Never thought much of it other than poor-mans Ugly Kid Joe, with a very lame and unfitting moniker...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 5:00 am

I have this one for trade/sale, if anyone wants it.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Damn it's worse than the comments for Babymetal around here.  Laughing 

I played this for work some more and I really enjoy. Doesn't sound like Chili Peppers or Ugly Kid Joe. Sounds fresh and original with spontaneous horn blasts and a very gritty, bluesy, and metallic guitar tone. And the hoarse, snarky vocals are rad. Each to their own, but this is one underrated band.  \'arry \'eadbanger 

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I'll give them grudging props for using legendary MAD magazine cartoonist Jack Davis for their album cover...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Hate to say it but the vox does remind me of UKJ. And I don't like the mix of Tower of Power with hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'll give them grudging props for using legendary MAD magazine cartoonist Jack Davis for their album cover...

Wonder what was with MAD artists doing album covers around this time (you also had Mort Drucker do the back cover of Anthrax's State of Euphoria).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 2:45 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Damn it's worse than the comments for Babymetal around here.  Laughing 

I played this for work some more and I really enjoy. Doesn't sound like Chili Peppers or Ugly Kid Joe. Sounds fresh and original with spontaneous horn blasts and a very gritty, bluesy, and metallic guitar tone. And the hoarse, snarky vocals are rad. Each to their own, but this is one underrated band.  \'arry \'eadbanger 

I got your back on this one! I like this kinda stuff.

WARNING, language on this one.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Right on chewie; I forgot to mention I've heard Fungo Mungo but not the other two you mentioned. See, this stuff has this fun groove that's addictive even if innocuous. Glad I'm not alone. Smile

Sure is a fair share more enjoyable than ska lol. Now THAT'S an obnoxious genre.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Right on chewie; I forgot to mention I've heard Fungo Mungo but not the other two you mentioned. See, this stuff has this fun groove that's addictive even if innocuous. Glad I'm not alone. Smile

Sure is a fair share more enjoyable than ska lol. Now THAT'S an obnoxious genre.

Yea! As far as I know Dizzy Bam never actually recorded and album, but they kicked ass live! I've had to have seen them at least 4 or 5 times.

I had a buddy who was into the ska punk of Skankin' Pickle
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 am

Hadley wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Wonder what was with MAD artists doing album covers around this time (you also had Mort Drucker do the back cover of Anthrax's State of Euphoria).

I'd wager that it was just a case of the bands being fans of the artists...particularly in the case of Anthrax.

I remember the song "Apple Pie" and was not really into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White Trash Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Trash   White Trash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Trash
Page 1 of 1