Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio's Lyrics

Go down 
+18
80s Metal Lady
Lari
Witchfinder
ultmetal
Hadley
manny
jstate
thejokeriv
journeyman
Shawn Of Fire
corplhicks
Citanul
Boris2008
AutumnShantel
MetallicSeminarian
Temple of Blood
candlemass
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Ken is a great singer. He probably has more range than Dio. Dio had charisma and style.

Very cool video. Thanks for posting it.

As for Dio's lyrics, it's always been key words that sound "dark", but is basic nonsense.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

I enjoy Dio's obtuse lyrics. I think this line - "It's like broken glass, you get cut before you see it." - is pretty clever, actually.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 pm

I think Dio's lyrics are awesome.

If you can't figure out a meaning, then you're just lacking imagination. They are relatable to practically anything and everything.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 6:25 pm

"FLY LIKE THE RAINBOW!!!!"
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm

I've always found this line a little humorous:

So the next time someone points a gun at you

Say "Shoot, shoot

The next time!? I hope I never have a gun pointed at me even one time!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Not sure if shoot, shoot is what i'd be saying.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

That song doesn't count!  sick 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Ear In The Wall is just too strange for words, I giggle whenever I hear that song, so I tend to skip it.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Not sure if shoot, shoot is what i'd be saying.

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 am

ultmetal wrote:
As for Dio's lyrics, it's always been key words that sound "dark", but is basic nonsense.

Yeah, that's it. I think he picked words for how they sounded rather than to try to convey any sort of coherent message (Yes and the Mars Volta do a similar sort of thing). They work because they fit together so well with the music and vocal melodies that it doesn't matter that they don't really mean anything.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 am

S.D. wrote:
Ear In The Wall is just too strange for words, I giggle whenever I hear that song, so I tend to skip it.

It's a good jam though.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 am

Citanul wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Yeah, that's it.  I think he picked words for how they sounded rather than to try to convey any sort of coherent message (Yes and the Mars Volta do a similar sort of thing).  They work because they fit together so well with the music and vocal melodies that it doesn't matter that they don't really mean anything.

I think the songs themselves as a whole do mean something, I think Dio was a great storyteller, even though some lines w/in the songs made you scratch your head...
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 am

Hammerfall has some incomprehensible lyrics too:
"Angels of mercy, guardians of time, shackled and chained to the eternal flame, the hammer will surely arise"
Killer song, but, whuh?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 am

Hadley wrote:
Hammerfall has some incomprehensible lyrics too:
"Angels of mercy, guardians of time, shackled and chained to the eternal flame, the hammer will surely arise"
Killer song, but, whuh?

The Claw chooses who will go
And who will stay
Nirvana is coming
The Mystic Portal awaits

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Jesus H!! Ronnie James Dio never claimed to be the T.S. Elliot of the metal world, but he can turn a clever phrase from time to time. Granted 'Shoot Shoot' should have been entitled 'Filler, Filler', but he hits the mark more then misses on the lyrical side.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 12:47 am

^^What Manny's saying. I don't think Dio is bad, but compare him to Dylan, Young, Lennon, and other great songwriters, I couldn't say that he fits the bill. But I do believe, in the metal genre, that he is the best. His ability to deliver clever wordplay, regardless of any lack of subtext or metaphor, sets him apart and makes his songs memorable. Metal lyricists in general are just not good writers--of course then you have the whole debate of whether or not such music is meant for complex and nuanced poetry. Of course there is Neil Peart...
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 am

corplhicks wrote:
^^What Manny's saying. I don't think Dio is bad, but compare him to Dylan, Young, Lennon, and other great songwriters, I couldn't say that he fits the bill. But I do believe, in the metal genre, that he is the best. His ability to deliver clever wordplay, regardless of any lack of subtext or metaphor, sets him apart and makes his songs memorable.

In my opinion, Martin Walkyier is the best metal lyricist hands down. But other than that, I agree with what you say about Dio. The fact that we can quote so many of his lyrics even if we have no clue what they mean proves how good he was at making them memorable.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 am

NONE OF YOU WILL EVER BE THIS METAL!!!

Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Dio-creation

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 am

"Ride the Tiger!"  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 am

You can see his stripes, but you know he's clean. Oh, don't you see what I mean?!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

Lari wrote:
You can see his stripes, but you know he's clean. Oh, don't you see what I mean?!

No. No one sees what he means!

Dio 
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 am

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Lari wrote:

No. No one sees what he means!

He looks experienced, but he's never had anyone ride him before. [*tee hee* Embarassed ]
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
NONE OF YOU WILL EVER BE THIS METAL!!!

Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Dio-creation

You have a very valid point.

I so want a large poster of this.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

I think Dio is a great lyricist. A poet, really. A lot of his words are open to interpretation though, as they should be. As Manny said -- Dio himself has stated this was often done purposefully.

I was watching this interview a few nights ago and he mentions that and explains some of the lyrics to his songs (such as "ride the tiger"). It's not in that first clip, I don't think (there's six or seven parts), but it's an interview worth watching.

I could watch Dio interviews for hours on end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 12:30 am

Damn I miss Dio.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dio's Lyrics   Dio's Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio's Lyrics
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next