Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt

Go down 
+10
Sutekh
manny
thejokeriv
corplhicks
stormspell
Short-Fuse
Fat Freddy
jstate
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Empty
PostSubject: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 12:59 pm

if you're one of those 4... Laughing very hard 

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-corners-guy-at-party-wearing-dio,33615/
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Hilarious!!!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:16 pm

That's awesome - and I actually am a fan of Klosterman. If you think his non-fiction stuff is bad, try getting through his fiction works. Even I couldn't take those. Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe those.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Quote :
Eyewitnesses told reporters that the man promptly fled the party, pushing several guests out of his way while frantically attempting to exit the apartment.
Laughing very hard

I saw this on the Onion's site last week. Brilliant. It captures Klosterman's pseudo-intellectual psycho babble to a tee.
...in fact, it's almost too close to the real thing. I wonder if Klosterman actually wrote it? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I liked Klosterman's Fargo Rock City. I like over-analyzation myself. Way too many things these days are taken at face value.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Who the F*ck is Chuck Klosterman?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
Who the F*ck is Chuck Klosterman?
He's a music and pop culture critic who's written a couple of books that are tangentially metal related.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 pm

I like his stuff too a lot for the most part, still a great article. lol! 
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 2:38 am

Looks like some hipster-metal fan. The dio dude was some moron to tolerate him for so long.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 am

stormspell wrote:
Looks like some hipster-metal fan. The dio dude was some moron to tolerate him for so long.
Er...you do realize this is The Onion, right? Or am I missing out on some sarcasm...?
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 4:01 am

You mean it is probably a faux story on some goofy website? You are probably right, I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 am

@ Storm - "The Onion" is a well known "fake news" parody/comedy web site.

The gag is, the stuff they put up often sounds realistic enough that it is occasionally mistaken for "real" news.

For the record - I've enjoyed some of Klosterman's writings in the past. "Fargo Rock City" was a hoot. However, I've tried two of his other books recently ("Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and "Killing Yourself To Live") and didn't care for either one. I did make it all the way thru "Killing Yourself to Live" though it was a tough slog, but I gave up on "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" about half way thru.

He willingly admits to being an '80s metal fanatic but he tends to color all of his comments about that era with this condescending "Yeah, I used to like that stuff, but then I grew up" attitude, which gets annoying really quickly.

Best Klosterman quote I ever read was in "Fargo Rock City," when he sez "When I reviewed Warrant's Cherry Pie for my college newspaper, I called it 'stellar'. I was not allowed to review another album for almost two years." Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 am

I was wonder who the heck this guy was too - now the joke makes more sense
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:28 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I was wonder who the heck this guy was too
The first time I heard of him was some years ago when he popped up as a commenter on VH1's "I Love the 80s" and "90s" shows. I was like "Who the hell is this guy?" but apparently he'd been writing for SPIN for a while by that time and he'd made a name for himself in hipster circles as "that ironic metal guy."

He also made an appearance in "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey"

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am

Never read his books, but I am aware of who is, and that article was funny as hell
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
I was wonder who the heck this guy was too
The first time I heard of him was some years ago when he popped up as a commenter on VH1's "I Love the 80s" and "90s" shows. I was like "Who the hell is this guy?" but apparently he'd been writing for SPIN for a while by that time and he'd made a name for himself in hipster circles as "that ironic metal guy."

He also made an appearance in "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey"
Didn't even remember him from Headbanger's Journey! Is he trying to start a whole new Metal sub-genre called Hipster Metal? I predict a backlash from the Metal community much bigger than the Affleck is Batman backlash!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am

Quote :
Is he trying to start a whole new Metal sub-genre called Hipster Metal?
Seriously. I'm not sure who's a worse spokesman for our genre... this guy, or Eddie Trunk. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Seriously. I'm not sure who's a worse spokesman for our genre... this guy, or Eddie Trunk. Laughing very hard
Eddie Trunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am

Nah, Chuck isn't metal hipster yet....he has to start making remarks about when there stopped being good metal, that time being somewhere around the release of 'Holy Diver'...... (has he?)...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Eddie Trunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still don't get all the Trunk hate...lacks logic...
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:01 am

No idea who Klosterman was before reading the thread, but still funny stuff.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:53 am

I meant to post this myself. I have a buddy who sent this story to me on Facebook a couple of days ago. He knows that I'm a huge metal guy, and pretty big fan of Chuck Klosterman. This article is kind of like the movie "This Is Spinal Tap", you're either going to think this is absolutely hilarious, or it's going to go right over your head.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
For the record - I've enjoyed some of Klosterman's writings in the past. "Fargo Rock City" was a hoot. However, I've tried two of his other books recently ("Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and "Killing Yourself To Live") and didn't care for either one. I did make it all the way thru "Killing Yourself to Live" though it was a tough slog, but I gave up on "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" about half way thru.
Wow, I'm surprised you don't find him more appealing. His sense of humor seems sort of up your alley. I loved "Fargo Rock City", and really enjoyed "Eating the Dinosaur", "IV", and "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs". I still haven't ready "Killing Yourself to Live" and it looks like he's written a two-three more books over the last couple of years, so I'll have to take a look at those.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 am

That was one fantastic article.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 am

metalinmyveins wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised you don't find him more appealing. His sense of humor seems sort of up your alley. I loved "Fargo Rock City", and really enjoyed "Eating the Dinosaur", "IV", and "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs". I still haven't ready "Killing Yourself to Live" and it looks like he's written a two-three more books over the last couple of years, so I'll have to take a look at those.
I just find his stuff hit or miss. Sometimes he hits the mark and other times the psycho-babble sociology B.S. gets so deep you need hip waders and a flashlight to find your way out of it. Very Happy

I liked "Fargo" and now that I think about it, I've read bits and pieces of "IV" as well (there was an essay in that one about watching VH1 Classic for 24 hours straight that was frickin' hilarious)...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt   Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chuck Klosterman Corners Guy At Party Wearing Dio Shirt
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next