Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike

Go down 
+27
BillRoxx
AchrisK
Wurthless
Required Fields
allthingsmetal
tohostudios
Eyesore
80s Metal Lady
Orion Crystal Ice
Witchfinder
Hadley
ultmetal
JBall_Z
Thrasher73
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
candlemass
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
metalhead777
exact33
jettafiend
jstate
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
kmorg
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Empty
PostSubject: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 am

I'm not a huge fan of death metal, but I ripped my Sympathy albums today, and I must say that I really love all albums I have from Dharok. And I don't think they are very atypical of the genre or anything. So I find it a bit weird that I enjoy them so much, whereas I usually shun stuff like this.

This ever happened to you?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 am

My Chemical Romance, whatever genre they are, I don't like it but their songs are so damn catchy!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm not into indie rock or whatever style they are but Mumford is a good listen. And I enjoy the Dubliners which isn't usually something I listen too.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Bands like Lacuna Coil usually do nothing for me - but I have always liked all their stuff.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Bowling for Soup of the pop-punk sound is definitely a standout band for me. I cannot find anything by them that I don't like and every other band of that ilk makes me cringe. Bands like Blink-182, and all their clones pretty much make me want to Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike 78889.

Another one is Roxette, for some reason I really like them, even tho I tend to not like bubble-gum pop. I have no explanation here but I like them. Same with INXS for some odd reason, that I can't explain.

Along the same lines, I hated Ska when it broke in highschool, but a few years later I really started to get in to the O.C. Supertones. I think that it is beacuse they have a heavy dose of So-Cal punk in their sound. Reel Big Fish are ok and I love me some Mad Caddies as well. Beyond those three bands, I have not heard a ska band that I actually like. They pretty much all sound the same to me.

Honestly, there are bands/artists of every single genre or style that I like. I want to have a wide variety of music to listen to so I have a bit of everything in my collection with the exception of Reggae. I just cannot get into it, and it is not for a lack of trying either. Even Rancid's reggae/ska album Life Won't Wait, is one that to my ears is almost unlistenable, and they are a fantastic band.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 4:13 pm

kmorg wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of death metal, but I ripped my Sympathy albums today, and I must say that I really love all albums I have from Dharok. And I don't think they are very atypical of the genre or anything. So I find it a bit weird that I enjoy them so much, whereas I usually shun stuff like this.

This ever happened to you?

Sympathy is great and i am not a big death metal fan anymore. I also like Disturbed, which is my only foray into the nu metal genre.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Blackened Death Metal is usual a genre I find myself getting bored of rather quickly.
A Hill to Die Upon grows stale in 1-2 listens, Behemoth in few more. But Sympathy always has me coming back, particularly to Arcane Path
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 pm

GZR
EMPEROR
CANDLEMASS
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am

Candlemass

St Vitus
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 am

metalhead777 wrote:
Blackened Death Metal is usual a genre I find myself getting bored of rather quickly.
A Hill to Die Upon grows stale in 1-2 listens, Behemoth in few more. But Sympathy always has me coming back, particularly to Arcane Path

Love A Hill to Die Upon! headbanger

I like my share of death metal, but I don't care for Sympathy at all, got rid of "Arcane Path" some time ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 am

jstate wrote:
Bands like Lacuna Coil usually do nothing for me - but I have always liked all their stuff.

Same here. L.C. is pretty much the only "goth/metal" (or whatever the hell you wanna call'em) that I bother with.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 am

In the "melodic death/modern thrash" genre, the only one I care for is Shadows Fall.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

Public Enemy. Self-explainatory.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
In the "melodic death/modern thrash" genre, the only one I care for is Shadows Fall.

Good One MG! Thats one of mine as well.The other would be Unearth
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm not a fan of Black Metal, but I really like Immortal beginning with At The Heart of Winter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm

I like Patsy Cline and Roger Miller but I've never been a fan of country music.

I dig The Allman Brothers despite hating southern rock with a fiery passion.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

S.D. wrote:
I like Patsy Cline

Have always enjoyed Pasty as well. Such a unique voice and tragic story.

I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins solo stuff, yet most music of that ilk does nothing for me.

I like some rap as well, but it's mostly old stuff like RunDMC, Public Enemy, S.F.C., Mantronix, Boogie Down Productions, etc. I rarely listen to it, but every once in a blue moon it hits the spot.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm

My wife listens to a lot of "new country" music, the majority of which does nothin' for me but I gotta say I get a kick out of Big & Rich. If their videos are anything to go by, they'd probably be a great live act.

I also like the Dixie Chicks, they are excellent musicians but I think their general attitude appeals to me more than anything.... I saw a documentary a few years back (Shut Up And Sing) about how they handled the controversy after their singer bad-mouthed then-President Bush on stage, and I respected the hell out of them for not caving in to the country music "establishment's" demands to apologize and "make nice." Their next album after that was basically one huge middle finger to the "mainstream country" scene. Very punk rock of them, I must say. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 pm

About once a year, a really well done pop album comes out. One year it was OutKast, another year Kylie Minogue - Fever, Avril Lavigne - Let It Go, Tracii Lords - 1000 Fires, etc etc. It has been a few years since I have really paid an ounce of attn' to Pop music though.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I like Patsy Cline

Have always enjoyed Pasty as well. Such a unique voice and tragic story.

I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins solo stuff, yet most music of that ilk does nothing for me.

I like some rap as well, but it's mostly old stuff like RunDMC, Public Enemy, S.F.C., Mantronix, Boogie Down Productions, etc. I rarely listen to it, but every once in a blue moon it hits the spot.

S.F.C is fantastic!!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Good One MG! Thats one of mine as well.The other would be Unearth

Shadows Fall are fantastic, but the ones that's I just can't get into are Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God. KSE have great lyrics, tho, but for some reason I can't find the groove that makes it click.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Bowling for Soup of the pop-punk sound is definitely a standout band for me. I cannot find anything by them that I don't like and every other band of that ilk makes me cringe. Bands like Blink-182, and all their clones pretty much make me want to Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike 78889.

BFS are excellent! Dont know if you've ever heard of the cartoon Phineas and Ferb, but not only do they do the theme song, but Jaret Reddick does the voice of a recurring character.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
I like Patsy Cline and Roger Miller but I've never been a fan of country music.

I feel similiar. I couldn't give a rip about country music, but I loves me some Johnny Cash.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Mrs. Witchfinder is a huge country fan and, as a result, there are a couple of artists that I like a few songs from:

Johnny Cash
Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams Jr.
Eric Church
Shooter Jennings
Justin Moore
Aaron Lewis

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:07 pm

Maybe Holy Blood...I find a lot of folk metal to be pretty terrible.

Paramore has got some great songs on the 'Riot!' album with a killer rhythm section, and 99.999999% of the punk/hard rock/pop infusion stuff is something I absolutely hate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike   Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands you dig in genres you normally dislike
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next