Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

External Hard Drive Users....

Go down 
+11
chewie
EvyMetal
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Shawn Of Fire
MoonChild
Addy
mc666
James B.
SpectreFate
15 posters
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

External Hard Drive Users.... Empty
PostSubject: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 pm

What brand of external hard drives do you use? Prefer? Recommend? Size?

I have a 750gB Seagate Go Flex (my trusty friend for many years), a Western Digital Elements 2.5TB for my TV and Movies, a 320gB Western Digital Essential for my work stuff, and a Buffalo MiniStation 1TB for my digital music collection. I'd like at some point to consolidate all my media on a 4TB drive, once they become affordable.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 12:14 am

I was given a Maxtor 1TB fully loaded with stuff in both audio and video about 4 years ago. I have had no issues with it and am amazed at how much stuff is on it.

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 12:33 am

Lacie.

Stay away from Seagate, I've had bad luck with them in the past.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 am

Western Digital "My Book". the only brand i will buy.

i have several 500 gb & 1 tb drives since 2007. so far all of them are still very functional & have never crashed or lost data.

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:05 am

mc666 wrote:
Western Digital "My Book". the only brand i will buy.

i have several 500 gb & 1 tb drives since 2007. so far all of them are still very functional & have never crashed or lost data.

Agreed, I have an older Western Digital drive and have never had any issues with it.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 am

when it comes to Hard Drive storage I trust one brand and one brand only....

Western Digital Ive never gone wrong with them yet and ive been buying their products for over 10 years. I have a 1 TB Western Digitial Worldbook I think , its a Network External which means instead of hooking via usb It hooks via a network cable. I have it hooked to my router and can access it from any PC on the network (which is only 2 computers) I Love it! it was my last bday present from the ex wife (even though I went and picked it out and bought it so technically its from myself)

I also have a 2 TB Western Digital HDD that hooks up via usb. I dont use it much because I have the 1TB but one day I intend to organize the stuff and hook it up to the tv and use it for movies and stuff...
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 am

Mine is Western Digital.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 am

I have a 1TB Western Digital...so far I love it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 1:01 pm

The Skyliner record is currently on a WD MyBook so I know that works pretty well... Just don't lose the cord.... USB3 to USB.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

same here. good machine!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 pm

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

same here. good machine!

Me too. Got mine as a Christmas present. No problems with it.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 pm

I have a 1 TB seagate external and a 2 TB Iomega external, neither have crapped out. Both work fine.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 am

I've had a Seagate Freeagent 1TB that I have used for a long while. It's my first external hd.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 am

I've had two Iomega drives that crashed within several months of each other (one I was able to salvage my files from, the other wiped out many of my albums) so there is no way in hell, I'd recommend those. However, my Western Digital hasn't had any problems so I will agree with those who have already endorsed them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 4:49 am

I have a 1tb iomega drive. It is the second one I've had, as the first one tipped over, and was ruined. I'm thinking about replacing the one I have now also, as it is really slow.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 5:06 am

kmorg wrote:
I have a 1tb iomega drive. It is the second one I've had, as the first one tipped over, and was ruined. I'm thinking about replacing the one I have now also, as it is really slow.

Do it before it crashes. lol! I could have saved myself a lot of grief and anger had I given up on Iomega after the first one crashed.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Eventually Id like to get I think its the Worldbook 2 which is a network external (by WD) but the cool thing about it is its setup as a Raid 1 so if the drive craps out you can open it up and replace the bad drive and whola.

I remember reading about it when I got my network one....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Since I will be on the road for weeks on end, I need something to store all my music for on the go. I've got myself a portable Toshiba hard drive (2TB) so I can have all my music in a small compact device. Hopefully I will not have any problems or I'd have to wait til I went home for a few days before I could have all my music (I have a lot of my favorites on my laptop but less than half of my collection is there).
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:05 pm

I hope it serves you well

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm

This is crazy how much good I'm hearing about WD drives because I went through two 1TB's in the same year! My first drive wouldn't read after two weeks so I was able to get an exchange through Amazon. The second one was good for six months then up and crashed. I had it near full and was only able to recover a third of the original content, including two years worth of family photos and videos, including the birth of my firstborn. I was talking with a tech buddy of mine who builds computers B2B and he told me to stay away from external WD drives in general as they are some of the least reliable. Now I don't know what to get so I've just been Google Driving everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm

No matter what brand you buy you always need to purchase 2 of them. 1 as your primary and the other as a backup in case of hardware failure.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
No matter what brand you buy you always need to purchase 2 of them. 1 as your primary and the other as a backup in case of hardware failure.

Yep, this is my third one. For the others, I have one on my main computer and one I keep in a fireproof safe and I update it every few months or so.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 3:55 am

S.D. wrote:
True. And never leave the backup connected at all times. I ripped everything to my computer, cut and paste it to my primary external drive (which is a 1TB Fantom Drive and has been great for years now), dump it in iTunes and add artwork and so forth, then copy it back to my computer.

Then once every week or so I connect the backup drive (also a 1TB Fantom), and move all the new stuff to the appropriate folders.

I've had friends lose everything because kept their primary and backup connected and on at all times. Dumb. One strong power surge can ruin it all.

But remember, when drives go bad, the file structure is usually still intact and accessible with an external USB hard drive connector. These thing cost under $20. Never pay a company hundreds of dollars to recover your files. All they do is use that less-than-$20 connector.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: External Hard Drive Users....   External Hard Drive Users.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

External Hard Drive Users....
Page 1 of 1