Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years Empty
PostSubject: My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years   My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Ok, I've been a big fan of these guys for years and have all their stuff, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that the four new songs on this `Heart of Metal-20 Years of Ultimatum' CD are some of their best...ever...and they have some amazing songs in their history. They just consistently get better with each release, and this one really shows their maturity as songwriters and seasoned musicians, as well as showcasing the chemistry that must be there to pull off this kind of feat.

`Blood On A Thousand Hills' starts off with an almost good-times sounding riff, yet still heavy enough to let you know there's something menacing and no-nonsense about these guys. Sure enough, about 35 seconds into it, it kicks into the classic signature Ultimatum thrash sound, and does not disappoint in the slightest. Ultimatum are still here, and if someone has a doubt, then they just aren't paying attention and need to wake up.

`Scattered (Body Parts)' is a fast and fun headbanger of a song, complete with gang vocals and even a bass solo by Rob Whitlock that is very well done and tasteful during the slowed-down segment of the song. He then utilizes his solo to flawlessly lead right back into the main riff of the song, speeding things up again back into headbanging fury. The song ends with a searing solo by Robert Gutierrez.

`Hook, Line & Sinker' is to me what the band would sound like had they continued in the vein of their first album, Symphonic Extremities. More of a straight-ahead heavy metal song than thrash, it's a real fist-pumper and makes one naturally move their head up and down to the beat. Very catchy riff and a great chorus; just an amazing track. Of course, Ultimatum wouldn't be Ultimatum without at least a hint of thrash, and they show this perfectly about 2/3 into the song, where the tempo increases along to a quick double bass beat by solid powerhouse drummer Alan Tuma while guitarist Robert Gutierrez fills things in with a very tasteful solo, full of the metal spirit. The song ends soon thereafter, with a sarcastically ominous laugh by vocalist Scott Waters.

`Rip `N Tear' has some of the most intense vocals I've heard yet from Scott Waters; very biting and sinister, and sound great. Love the way the chorus sounds, with the "RRRRIP!" and "TEAR!" gang vocals, and the crushing thrash riffing... This is yet another total thrasher of a song that would be killer to see in a live setting.

The rest of the songs on this disc are 14 of their best songs from their 20-year career, and were chosen based on votes by the fans. Even then, it was hard to pin down just 14 songs, but the ones that wound up on this bad boy are all winners. Some have been remixed and remastered, bringing out an even better sound than before. It's the perfect place to start if you're unfamiliar with the band, since it gives you a nice helping of their newest stuff, then goes back in time chronologically to their first album.

Metalhead, whether you have or haven't heard these guys before, do yourself a favor and GET this one. Buy the download if you like, or even better, buy the physical CD! That way you also get to have the booklet with tons of pictures of the band, spanning their 20 year career, as well as some great commentaries on Ultimatum by various musicians, friends, and online personalities, which are fun and interesting to check out. Go ahead and add it to your cart and make it happen! You'll be glad you did! MEETTTAAAAALLLL!!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years Empty
PostSubject: Re: My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years   My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 am

Moved to the correct subforum.

My review of Heart of Metal - 20 Years
Page 1 of 1