Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Big Four" of other metal genres.

Go down 
+21
brokentulsa
QuothTheRaven
Jesusandmetal23
Mglaffas81
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Grimmo
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
exact33
jettafiend
Required Fields
Lurideath
Hadley
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
mc666
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
vgmaster9
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

"Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:40 pm

kmorg wrote:
Influence is of course important, but album sales and popularity was what made the original Big 4.

That said, how can Watchtower beat Rush in either case!

Simple. Because WATCHTOWER is a prog METAL band and RUSH is a prog ROCK band.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Influence is of course important, but album sales and popularity was what made the original Big 4.

That said, how can Watchtower beat Rush in either case!

Simple. Because WATCHTOWER is a prog METAL band and RUSH is a prog ROCK band.

Pfft..... I disagree.

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 4:07 pm

I've never considered Rush to be even remotely metal. In 1982 my favorite two albums were "The Number of The Beast" and "Signals". If you listen to those two records they are definitely not the same style music.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 4:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've never considered Rush to be even remotely metal. In 1982 my favorite two albums were "The Number of The Beast" and "Signals". If you listen to those two records they are definitely not the same style music.

If you listen to Raven's Rock Til Your Drop and Samson's Survivors you'd say they were not the same style music, yet both were bands from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal from roughly the same time. Same would hold true if you compare Venom to Diamond Head, or Iron Maiden to Def Leppard's debut. However, it all fit under that NWOBHM umbrella.

At the same time if you compare Yes to Rush you'd also say they were not the same style music, yet both bands are considered progressive rock. Rush was much heavier and less classically inspired than Yes.

Rush at the time of "Signals" moved away from the heavier progressive stuff into more pop-oriented rock. It was less about guitars and that heavy roaring Rickenbacker bass and more about pop song structures, keyboards and hit singles. The band admits to that. However, their 70's stuff was dark, heavy and progressive for the time. Can you get any heavier or any more progressive than "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"? One of the forefathers of progressive metal for sure, just like Sabbath are the forefathers of heavy metal and doom.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm

God, how I hate ridiculous subgenre labels like "Glam Metal" (how the f#ck does that even make sense?), "Folk Metal" and whatnot - seriously, does any form of heavy music with a slight stylistic/visual change really have to be made into an entirely new genre? What's next, Miscellaneous Tools Metal? angry
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
God, how I hate ridiculous subgenre labels like "Glam Metal" (how the f#ck does that even make sense?), "Folk Metal" and whatnot - seriously, does any form of heavy music with a slight stylistic/visual change really have to be made into an entirely new genre? What's next, Miscellaneous Tools Metal? angry

Well, maybe I shouldn't have had glam as an option since it's not so metal like the rest. At least I didn't add nu metal and metalcore as well. Also, folk metal is listened to widely by the metal community.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Quote :
Can you get any heavier or any more progressive than "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"?

Yes. Absolutely.

RUSH had some songs that I would consider metal, but really no whole albums.

The bulk of their material throughout their career is prog rock/prog hard rock.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
Can you get any heavier or any more progressive than "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"?

Yes. Absolutely.

RUSH had some songs that I would consider metal, but really no whole albums.

The bulk of their material throughout their career is prog rock/prog hard rock.

Really? Name it. What other prog band from the early 70's was that heavy, that dark and that progressive?

Of course I don't want to start the genre war with you, seeing is how you don't believe heavy metal existed in the 1970's outside of a handful of British bands.

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Really? Name it. What other prog band from the early 70's was that heavy, that dark and that progressive?

I'd probably say UK (late 70s) or King Crimson.

(Not sure why genres have to be defined by the decade in which the songs were originally written but I know that is a big part of your way of examining music.)

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
they are more descriptors of the style of metal than they are actual sub genres.

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
King Crimson.

Definitely. Lark's Tongue In Aspic Parts 1 & 2, Fracture, Starless, Red, One More Red Nightmare, Providence, Pictures Of A City, etc.

Much darker than Rush, WAY more progressive (mostly improvisational while Rush is all written out) and when they wanted to Crimson could be heavier and more intense than anybody.

Rush basically took the Led Zeppelin (another band that influenced metal but were never a metal band themselves) template and added in some slightly more progressive elements.

Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:00 am

Death metal:

Death
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse

Euro Power Metal:

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
PUNK (original)

Social Distortion
The Vandals
Sex Pistols
The Clash

No Ramones? Pffft. Razz

Whoops! I forgot about them. angry
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 am

S.D. wrote:
Rush basically took the Led Zeppelin (another band that influenced metal but were never a metal band themselves) template and added in some slightly more progressive elements.

Bingo!
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 9:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Bingo!

The Led Zep connection is most obvious on the S/T debut, but once Peart is on the drums, the "progressive elements" begin to pull them away from that comparison. More than "slightly more" too. I agree with ult; the first few albums are guitar-driven, 70s-style progressive metal. King Crimson is heavy in their own way and admittedly more progressive, but is almost an apples to oranges comparison with Rush.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Bingo!

The Led Zep connection is most obvious on the S/T debut, but once Peart is on the drums, the "progressive elements" begin to pull them away from that comparison. More than "slightly more" too. I agree with ult; the first few albums are guitar-driven, 70s-style progressive metal. King Crimson is heavy in their own way and admittedly more progressive, but is almost an apples to oranges comparison with Rush.

Indeed!

Like I said, Rush are one of the forefathers of progressive metal in much the same way that Black Sabbath are the forefathers of heavy metal and doom. Call 'em progressive rock, call them progressive metal, call them progressive proto-metal. They fit into all those neatly much the way the Sabbath are both heavy metal and hard rock.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 am

glam/sleaze...

Motley Crue
Ratt
Poison
Def Leppard
speed metal...

Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Anvil
Heavy Metal...

Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Saxon
Riot
Doom Metal...

Black Sabbath
Place Of Skulls
Trouble
Saint Vitus
progressive metal

Dream Theater
Queensryche
Rush
Kings X
Power Metal..

Manowar
Hammerfall
Firewind
Accept

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Power Metal (Classic Definition):

Fates Warning
Savatage
Metal Church
Armored Saint

Power Metal (Modern Definition):

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius

Death/Doom:

My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Theatre Of Tragedy
Anathema

Symphonic metal:

Rhapsody
Kamelot
Nightwish
Therion
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 am

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Death metal:

Death
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse

Euro Power Metal:

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall

headbanger would have replced gamma ray with grave digger though
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 8:13 am

Gilbert wrote:
Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Death metal:

Death
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse

Euro Power Metal:

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall

headbanger would have replced gamma ray with grave digger though

I would have gone with GD too but Gamma Ray is much more well known.

vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 am

Sure,why not?

The Big 4 of AOR

Foreigner
Journey
Toto
Survivor

And Boston was the Father of AOR.

The Big 4 of US Power Metal

Metal Church
Helstar
Vicious Rumors
Jag Panzer

The Big 4 of Speed Metal

Agent Steel
Exciter
Abattoir
Savage Grace

The Big 4 of 80s French Metal

Trust
Sortilege
Blaspheme
ADX
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm

How about the Big 4 of NWOBHM?
Iron Maiden
Saxon
Raven
Diamond Head

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 am

Or the Big 6 of NWOBHM

Raven
Angel Witch
Satan
Savage
Blitzkrieg
Tokyo Blade

The Big 5 of British Heavy Metal

Black Sabbath
Rainbow
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Saxon

The Big 5 of British Classic Hard Rock

Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Uriah Heep
Queen
UFO
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 am

Classic American Hard Rock
Aerosmith
Kiss
Ted Nugent
Alice Cooper

PostSubject: Re: "Big Four" of other metal genres.   "Big Four" of other metal genres. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Big Four" of other metal genres.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next