Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today

Go down 
+9
exact33
Dark Horseman
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
Required Fields
arachnoplasma
Troublezone
manny
James B.
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:19 pm

March 19, 2012 marks the 30th anniversary of Randy Rhoads' tragic death. A true talent that had only scratched the surface of his potential.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Paul Kossoff of Free died this day as well. Two of my favorites for different reasons (RIP)

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm

That is incredible, read an incredible article on Classic Rock Magazine on the last week of his life, some parts are truly sad.

Ozzy and he had a falling out, when he told Ozzy he was leaving the band, according to the article Ozzy sucker punched Rhoads. Rhoads was made, but Ozzy was drunk, but some of peps the article asked about this, said they heard about it never saw it.

Ozzy was contracted to release a live album of nothing but Black Sabbath classics something Randy Rhoads was against, and informed Ozzy he would do one more studio and the live album and he was leaving.

On the night before his death, Ozzy and Randy had a conversation on the way to Florida, and seemed to have smoothed over some of the issues, where Ozzy told him he was crazy but in the end supported his decision, wished him luck, and we all know what happened in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Randy was brilliant. He was one of the first truly progressive metal players. I wish he was still around...

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I remember hearing "Crazy Train" on the radio when I was just a little kid for the first time and being mesmerized by the guitar work. I never got heavily into Ozzy's solo stuff, but those first two albums are classic and worth the price of admission if only for the guitar. That little dude had soul, something that's often missing in the legions of imitators.

A tragic loss and one can only imagine what he would've accomplished later in his life. RIP.

I'll be cranking Blizzard and Diary later in the day.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 pm

I watched Randy's funeral procession through binoc's atop a friend's roof who lived adjacent to Mt View cemetary in San Bernardino, Calif. where he is buried. (my hometown) There used to be a marker in the mausoleum with a "RR" and 'Les Paul guitar" emblem attached to the marble face. It was once down low, then they put it up higher due to theft and vandalism. Now there is a huge stone marker out on the grounds. People sure are disrespectful A-holes.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm

I'll be jamming Diary... in remembrance later tonight, another great talent gone too young.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

James B. wrote:
I watched Randy's funeral procession through binoc's atop a friend's roof who lived adjacent to Mt View cemetary in San Bernardino, Calif. where he is buried. (my hometown) There used to be a marker in the mausoleum with a "RR" and 'Les Paul guitar" emblem attached to the marble face. It was once down low, then they put it up higher due to theft and vandalism. Now there is a huge stone marker out on the grounds. People sure are disrespectful A-holes.

My girlfriend used to live near there as well...
Judging from the surrounding area, I would've never guessed that a rock legend like Randy would be there. Wasn't Randy from the Santa Monica area? How did he end up at Mt. View?

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Great guitarist, he was awesome with Riot and Ozzy. Died way too soon.
After learning electric guitar and owning some Yamaha stuff, my first self-bought guitar was a Jackson RR3 Randy Rhoads 03 which i still own Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Certainly one of the best and his influence was massive.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

RIP

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Reports suggest that Ozzy Osbourne spent this somber anniversary by downing fifths of bourbon, climbing up on his roof and screaming obscenities at any airplanes that flew past his house.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Reports suggest that Ozzy Osbourne spent this somber anniversary by downing fifths of bourbon, climbing up on his roof and screaming obscenities at any airplanes that flew past his house.

and Sharon by taking out the wav recorder trying to figure ways to remove Randy from the Ozzy albums...

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

Judging from the surrounding area, I would've never guessed that a rock legend like Randy would be there. Wasn't Randy from the Santa Monica area? How did he end up at Mt. View?

His formative years were spent there in Berdoo, then Pasadena and Santa Monica

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

I didn't know that... I've driven down (Waterman Ave) many times in the past never knowing Randy was buried there. Being a big Randy fan, I'm surprised how close he was the whole time I was over there.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

I didn't know that... I've driven down Waterman Ave many times in the past never knowing Randy was buried there. Being a big Randy fan, I'm surprised how close he was the whole time I was over there in that area.

Ya keep going up Waterman into the canyon and that is where I grew up.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 pm

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:

I didn't know that... I've driven down Waterman Ave many times in the past never knowing Randy was buried there. Being a big Randy fan, I'm surprised how close he was the whole time I was over there in that area.

Ya keep going up Waterman into the canyon and that is where I grew up.

What other bands/musicians came from your area?
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 pm

James B. wrote:
Paul Kossoff of Free died this day as well. Two of my favorites for different reasons (RIP)

Glad someone else remembers Paul Kossoff he was an amazing guitarist. Paul & Tommy Bolin are my 2 favs.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 am

Troublezone wrote:

Don't know if you've heard of them or not. My fireind(s) Bill Menchen (Final Axe, Titanic) Dave Enos and Larry Phillips (Emerald) Jerry Harrison (Icon) Ron and Gina Mc Clure (Towne Cryer) all lived within 10 miles of my house and I've known them all since the mid to late 70's.

I was in Lethal Dose from 1979 to 1986 and then Graceful Lu in 1986/87. I got saved in 1987 and played for a few christian bands live but never recorded with any of them (though they had an album out before or after I joined) other than those that just did demos. One band did record on a compilation while I was a member but the drums were done by machine for all the bands. So that doesn't count.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Don't know if you've heard of them or not. My fireind(s) Bill Menchen (Final Axe, Titanic) Dave Enos and Larry Phillips (Emerald) Jerry Harrison (Icon) Ron and Gina Mc Clure (Towne Cryer) all lived within 10 miles of my house and I've known them all since the mid to late 70's.

I was in Lethal Dose from 1979 to 1986 and then Graceful Lu in 1986/87. I got saved in 1987 and played for a few christian bands live but never recorded with any of them (though they had an album out before or after I joined) other than those that just did demos. One band did record on a compilation while I was a member but the drums were done by machine for all the bands. So that doesn't count.

That's cool! I'm quite familiar with Titanic and Final Axe. Not many good bands/artists from this area but I know that Dallas (not too far from where I live) is where King Diamond and Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69) live.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 3:10 am

DallasBlack wrote:
James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

That's cool! I'm quite familiar with Titanic and Final Axe. Not many good bands/artists from this area but I know that Dallas (not too far from where I live) is where King Diamond and Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69) live.

I think Vinnie Paul has a house somewhere in the Dallas area too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

Troublezone wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think Vinnie Paul has a house somewhere in the Dallas area too.

Yeah, Pantera was from this area, but they're usually a given when people talk about bands from DFW. I like Pantera (particularly the pre Trendkiller era), but I get annoyed that they're the only metal band associated with this area. I'm not sure a lot of people know about the two I mentioned though.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

Back in the mid early mid 80's D/FW (metroplex) had some killer bands. Of course, Pantera, Rigor Mortis, Rip Laf, Sweet Savage, The Warlocks, Molly McQuires, Pendulum, and Gypsy Blue.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 am

James B. wrote:
Back in the mid early mid 80's D/FW (metroplex) had some killer bands. Of course, Pantera, Rigor Mortis, Rip Laf, Sweet Savage, The Warlocks, Molly McQuires, Pendulum, and Gypsy Blue.

That's true. I have this comp filled with DFW bands called Texas Metal Archives Vol. 1. Don't know if they made a 2nd volume, but if they did I'll get it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today   Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Randy Rhoads - 30 years ago today
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next