Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong

Go down 
+36
akeldama
Eyesore
Troublezone
JBall_Z
thejokeriv
Louder
Tur-Thalion
mlotek
Nico
T-Roy
Hamer12
manny
arachnoplasma
jstate
springozzy
TheGreatDuck
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
BearOnUnicycle
DallasBlack
James B.
EmoElmo
chewie
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Andy
mc666
arttieTHE1manparty
exact33
stepcousin
Required Fields
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Wurthless
Witchfinder
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Empty
PostSubject: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 pm

I hate Rush. I remember hearing them in the late 70's and hating them then. I could never get into them when all my friends were going crazy for them. I admit they are crazily talented, but for some odd reason they don't click with me. I think it's Geddy's vocals which are like sandpaper on my soul.

Can you guys suggest some Rush that will help me understand them? I feel like I should like them so help me out here. What are some great songs by them (hopefully not any "hits") that might change my opinion. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm

If you hate any of these songs, you won't like any Rush song -- ever.

Entre Nous

Red Barchetta

Cinderella Man

Anthem

There are tons of great songs to be found that aren't hits.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm not much more than a casual Rush fan myself. The only albums I own are the 2-CD CHRONICLES collection, and a vinyl LP of FLY BY NIGHT that I picked up at a yard sale years 'n' years ago.

I don't hate 'em, but I've never felt particularly compelled to dig deeper into their catalog either.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I hate Rush. I remember hearing them in the late 70's and hating them then. I could never get into them when all my friends were going crazy for them. I admit they are crazily talented, but for some odd reason they don't click with me. I think it's Geddy's vocals which are like sandpaper on my soul.

Can you guys suggest some Rush that will help me understand them? I feel like I should like them so help me out here. What are some great songs by them (hopefully not any "hits") that might change my opinion. Thanks.

I hate Rush after the Moving Pictures era and for my money they'd been in a slump after Hemispheres to that album.

Try the 2112 album or Fly By Night. If neither of those hook you, you just don't like Rush. Which is understandable because Geddy Lee's vocals are an acquired taste IMO.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Geddy Lee's vocals are indeed an acquired taste, but suit Rush's music rather well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Geddy Lee's vocals are indeed an acquired taste, but suit Rush's music rather well.

This.
I couldn't imagine Rush without Geddy's vocals.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

This.

Me either but that's because I more or less grew up with Rush. I do recognize how people could be turned off to his vox though. Same thing with Jon Anderson and Yes; if you like Yes, you say his vocals help define the band but if you don't like them, he's generally the main reason.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

This.

Me either but that's because I more or less grew up with Rush. I do recognize how people could be turned off to his vox though. Same thing with Jon Anderson and Yes; if you like Yes, you say his vocals help define the band but if you don't like them, he's generally the main reason.

Nailed that one on the head there. I, for one, love Rush and Yes, but I can definitely see why people could be turned off by both.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm

What's odd is that I like King Diamond's vocals as well as Tim Baker's (Cirith Ungol) and they have weird stylings. I thought I would give Rush one more shot to see if maybe they "clicked."
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 pm

You are either going to like them or not, they are that type of band.

If you dislike Geddy's vocals you can try the later albums where he's mellowed out and sings in a lower register, but essentially he has remained the same.

I love Rush, I like all of their albums (in varying degrees) and they are easily in my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

But it's futile to try and "convert" someone to Rush, in my experience people either like them or dislike them immediately.

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

S.D. wrote:

I love Rush, I like all of their albums (in varying degrees) and they are easily in my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

But it's futile to try and "convert" someone to Rush, in my experience people either like them or dislike them immediately.

I agree fully with both things you said. I absolutley LOVE Rush and I am perfectly ok with most of the world not liking them.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I am a latecomer to Rush. I couldnt get over the vocals and got really tired of Tom Sawyer but after listening more i began to like them. I only have 4 albums but I like what i have.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm

exact33 wrote:
I am a latecomer to Rush. I couldnt get over the vocals and got really tired of Tom Sawyer but after listening more i began to like them. I only have 4 albums but I like what i have.

That includes 2112 and Fly By Night, right?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 pm

I have:

Power Windows
Caress of Steel
Moving Pictures

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

exact33 wrote:
I have:

Power Windows
Caress of Steel
Moving Pictures

IMO, you are severely lacking one Rush album then.

Fly By Night.

Must. Buy. Now.

IMO, that is...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

ok. Ill add that to the list. I paid $1.98 for those 4 btw.

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:12 pm

One of my best friend's literally HATED Rush when we were teenagers, we'd have these huge arguments about them, neither side giving an inch, just a bunch of posturing on both our parts. We learned to just not talk about them and that was that.

Anyway, about 5 years ago he let me know that he saw the "Rush In Rio" concert video at a co-workers house...and he finally "got it". He now has their entire discography.

Our tastes change over the years, he just evolved to a place where Rush finally made sense to him.

...of course I had to give him a little grief about all those old arguments. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm

exact33 wrote:

I couldn't care less about Power Windows but I think those other 3 are essential.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
One of my best friend's literally HATED Rush when we were teenagers, we'd have these huge arguments about them, neither side giving an inch, just a bunch of posturing on both our parts. We learned to just not talk about them and that was that.

Anyway, about 5 years ago he let me know that he saw the "Rush In Rio" concert video at a co-workers house...and he finally "got it". He now has their entire discography.

Our tastes change over the years, he just evolved to a place where Rush finally made sense to him.

...of course I had to give him a little grief about all those old arguments. Very Happy

Razz

nothing like an "I told you so"

arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Can't tell you you're wrong...I hate them too.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

exact33 wrote:

Fly By Night is a great record.

All their albums from the debut through Grace Under Pressure are in my opinion "must-haves". I like all their albums, but if you're just starting to get into them I'd just hit all the other discs chronological, it's fascinating to hear them develop through the years.

One of the best live bands too, at least one Rush live album should make your shopping list.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

i love Rush & still think their first album is one of the greatest debuts of any band ever.

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

mc666 wrote:
i love Rush & still think their first album is one of the greatest debuts of any band ever.

Definitely. It ranks up there with the first Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin albums in my little twisted universe.

"Rush" was the first album I learned on guitar from beginning to end, I figured if I could play everything on the debut I was making progress.

Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Their popular albums suck, honestly. Check out their early stuff. Rush and Fly By Night are killer hard rock albums.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

I consider myself a Rush fan but unlike others I can admit that they've recorded tons of filler and can be unbearable at times.

Try these songs:
Spirit of Radio
Bastille Day
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
Show Don't Tell
Freewill
Working Man

If you hate them all then don't bother picking up any of their albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong   I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I hate Rush - Tell Me Why I'm Wrong
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next