Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rush - An Evening with Rush May 4th 2008 Concord Pavillion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Rush - An Evening with Rush May 4th 2008 Concord Pavillion Empty
PostSubject: Rush - An Evening with Rush May 4th 2008 Concord Pavillion   Rush - An Evening with Rush May 4th 2008 Concord Pavillion Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Unlike their previous jaunt through Concord when the temps were in the mid to upper 90's at show time, the wind was blowing and it was in the high 50's... This being the 2nd leg of Rush's 'Snakes and Arrows' tour we might as well have extremes and changes. Even Geddy made mention of the weather when he said "California in May? this is more like my weather back home in Canada!"

Once the wind died down conditions were perfect. Many of the same songs from the first leg were played again here. Of course signature material like 'Tom Sawyer', 'Freewill', 'Spirit Of Radio', 'Subdivisions', 'Limelight' were all included.

Some changes like dropping 'Circumstances' and 'Entre Nous' (which just hearing those songs live last time was fantastic) for other material like 'Ghost of A Chance' (which I hadn't heard live before) or 'The Trees' and 'Red Barchetta' broke up the evening rather well. There was enough change that it wasn't like seeing the exact same gig as 8 months ago.

Last time it was 'Freewill' that really blew me away. The mid section jazz breakdown where they just nailed it with such ferocity and passion before was this time transfered to 'Dreamline'.... Holy Aunt Petuna! The best version of 'Dreamline' ever! Alex played a different guitar solo and simply shredded.... ? not an adjective I usually associate with Lifeson's playing but this time.... WOW!

Neil's drumsolo was even better. I'm sure the structure was the same of slightly different, but his intensity and precision kicked butt!!

Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Digital Man were other highpoints of the gig. They obviously played a ton of material from 'Snakes and Arrows' and continued to show me why it's one of their top 7 discs, if not a top five. Best collection from them in 20+ years.

Perhaps the only part that surprised me was Geddy having a struggle during 'Passage to Bangkok' vocally. Granted it was at the end of the show and the weather I'm sure played a role. Having heard him on Rockline four days berfore the gig where he sounded like he had a cold, probably didn't help either.

None of that matters. I had a great experience and memory and who knows how many more times I'll get to experience Rush in this way....

Great gig!

coming next Maiden on May 28th....

afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

Rush - An Evening with Rush May 4th 2008 Concord Pavillion
Page 1 of 1