Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW

Go down 
+28
akeldama
AmongTheRest
metalinmyveins
Hamer12
SpectreFate
DeathCult
sheets
Sword Of The Heretic
Leatherface
Joe
James B.
Required Fields
jstate
Hadley
Witchfinder
DallasBlack
Andy
mikeinfla
Addy
Ricky
CRIMSONMASK
mlotek
A Handful of Wayne
Lari
ShadowAngel
tohostudios
ProgDoom
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:43 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Sid had one of the most alltime gruesome injuries I've ever seen. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it; the video is there. Very graphic.

I remember seeing that live. That was a real stomach turner. Ugh. I always liked Sid.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Sid had one of the most alltime gruesome injuries I've ever seen. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it; the video is there. Very graphic.

I remember seeing that live. That was a real stomach turner. Ugh. I always liked Sid.

I saw it live too. That was back when pro wrestling was interesting and I bought PPVs.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I saw it live too. That was back when pro wrestling was interesting and I bought PPVs.

Same here. I remember when USA Today even reported on upcoming WCW pay-per-views. I haven't really paid any attention in years though. It seems very boring to me at this point. I think the success of MMA has really taken away a lot from Wrestling.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

That was during the time I didn't watch much wrestling. I missed three months in bootcamp (1999) for obvious reasons, 6 months in A-School (Navy school) because I didn't have cable access (they were removed several years before because people abused the privledge-there was a common room with cable but you're sharing a TV with over 100 other sailors). I eventually had cable access and started watching again but in my navy career I had 2 six month deployments that kept me from enjoying my wrestling. In my last several months, I didn't have cable (two roommates and neither would split a cable bill with me) so all I got to see was Smackdown. By the time I was able to watch wrestling on a regular basis, it was 2003.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

I thought the Skyscrapers tag team was the greatest thing at the time. So I was a pretty big Sid fan. I also used to love that match he had with Sting where Barry Windham came out dressed as Sting to be pinned. Just goofy fun pro rasslin. Wish I hadn't looked up that Sid injury though - Joe Theisman flashbacks on that one.

I was a big wrestling fan till about 93-94. Went to every Cap Centre card from 86 till 93. Always in the second row since the State Athletic Commission demanded reserves for the first row. So basically had first row for all the non-Hogan shows since that was the only time the commission connected people ever showed. Even used to make special trips (Great American Bash!) to Baltimore for their shows too. But by 94 I lost interest especially when Hogan came into WCW. Came back during the Monday Night Wars, getting on and following the news on the internet, and the rise of ECW but even then still thought the 80's were better. By 2000 or so I just realized it wasn't something that was being promoted for someone like me. Guess I just figured it had passed me by. Would much rather watch an old tape these days. But I love that people are still getting into it and have remained fans.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am

I was never a Buff Bagwell fan but:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/253661-former-wcw-star-in-intensive-care-unit-following-a-car-accident

I don't like to hear about this stuff happening to anybody and hope he pulls through successfully.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I was never a Buff Bagwell fan but:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/253661-former-wcw-star-in-intensive-care-unit-following-a-car-accident

I don't like to hear about this stuff happening to anybody and hope he pulls through successfully.
To break your neck TWICE in your life!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 1:23 pm

I've recently read an article on the downfall of tag teams in WWE and that coupled with the recent happenings with Bagwell has gotten me to thinking about tag team splits and where the individual wrestlers went. There has been very few tag team break-ups that ended well for both guys. The only teams I can think of is Edge and Christian, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Miz and Morrison, and Powers Of Pain (Warlord and Barbarian didn't go big but they got a good mid-card push). Most other tag teams had one member fall into the background (to the lower-card, out the door or squash fodder) while the other either went big or got a nice mid-card push:

The Rockers=Shawn Very Happy Marty Crying or Very sad
Harlem Heat=Booker Very Happy Stevie Ray Crying or Very sad
Strikeforce=Martel (The Model) Very Happy Tito (El Matador) Crying or Very sad
Dudley Boys/Team 3D=Bubba Ray Very Happy Devon Crying or Very sad
Stiener Brothers=Scott Very Happy Rick Crying or Very sad
American Males=Bagwell Very Happy Riggs Crying or Very sad
Twin Towers=Boss Man Very Happy Akeem Crying or Very sad
Demolition=Smash (Repo Man) Very Happy Axe Crying or Very sad
The Fabulous Rougeaus =Jaques (The Mountie) Very Happy Raymond Crying or Very sad
Hart Foundation=Bret Very Happy Anvil Crying or Very sad
The Young Guns=Billy Very Happy Bart Crying or Very sad

Just thought that was interesting.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm glad Paul Orndorff survived cancer, but after hearing this interview I've lost quite a bit of respect for him:

Quote :
About facing Ric Flair in 1982 for NWA World Championship:

“He was just another body. Some are better than others. I believed in making it look real. I was probably hard to work with because I wanted it to make real and I knew how to wrestle.”

Experience of working at the first WrestleMania in the main event:

“It was special. There were so many people. It was the largest crowd to ever watch it. And then the pay per view of it was just ungodly. This was my opportunity to be really noticed and be seen. My paycheck….it was huge. I made more money in that 30 minutes than I did in a whole year with the NWA. People expected it and they were gonna get it from me.”

Working with Mr. T in the main event of WrestleMania I:

“I wasn’t crazy about it. I was very protective WrestleMania 1of the business. I was taught that. You take care of it. You don’t give out all your trade secrets. But then again you look at somebody like Ric Flair and you can say how can you hide something when they look like that? So I guess I started to give in a little bit.”

Transition in WWF from wrestling to entertainment in mid 80’s:

“It depends on your personality. I protected it. To me that wasn’t protecting it. As you can see right now, because they didn’t protect it, where it is now, there’s only two shows now. Look how many there was, there was one in every state, now look where it is.”

On Vince using guys like Warrior, more about the body:

“I thought it was the worst move they could’ve made. Vince did it on purpose. He did it so he could be the only one.”

On Warrior:

“He never paid his dues. You gotta pay your dues, go and learn your trade that’ll make it better when you are on that big stage. It’s called experience and nobody has any now, because there’s nowhere to go to get it.”

Right decision to give the belt to smaller stars like Savage and Bret?

“No. Absolutely not. It’s like putting the belt on someone who wants to be a wrestler. It didn’t work. It downgraded, made the belt worthless. When Terry Funk, Harley Race had world titles, it meant more.”

Opinion on long rumor that Hogan wouldn’t drop the belt to Bret in 1993:

“I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t have either. Bret Hart was a nobody from Canada and Hogan was the greatest star in wrestling. I don’t blame him. He did the right thing.”

Quick Fire Thoughts:

Ultimate Warrior: “I gotta go to the bathroom………………..NEXT!”

Vince McMahon: “One of a kind.”

Hulk Hogan: “Great.”

Bret Hart: “I don’t care much for Canadians.”

Randy Savage: “OK.”

Ric Flair: “A Joke.”

It was a mistake to push size over talent with Worrior, but Savage, Flair, and Bret were too small to be pushed?
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

The Rockers=Shawn Very Happy Marty Crying or Very sad
Harlem Heat=Booker Very Happy Stevie Ray Crying or Very sad
Strikeforce=Martel (The Model) Very Happy Tito (El Matador) Crying or Very sad
Dudley Boys/Team 3D=Bubba Ray Very Happy Devon Crying or Very sad
Stiener Brothers=Scott Very Happy Rick Crying or Very sad
American Males=Bagwell Very Happy Riggs Crying or Very sad
Twin Towers=Boss Man Very Happy Akeem Crying or Very sad
Demolition=Smash (Repo Man) Very Happy Axe Crying or Very sad
The Fabulous Rougeaus =Jaques (The Mountie) Very Happy Raymond Crying or Very sad
Hart Foundation=Bret Very Happy Anvil Crying or Very sad
The Young Guns=Billy Very Happy Bart Crying or Very sad

Just thought that was interesting.

I have to disagree with a few of those mentioned:
Marty Jannetty at least became IC Champion and Tag-Team Champion with 1-2-3 Kid later. So i think he made the most out of his chances. I guess, without his Alcohol and Drug addiction he could've been a lot more successful.

I strongly disagree about Martel and Santana. Martel was Midcarder for live, without any title. While Santana is a 2 time Intercontinental Champion (and with the 4th longest reign). Even though he also vanished into the Midcard after Strikeforce it was more because he already was already old.
Still i think after the Tag-Team career both of these guys were at the same level.

As for Ax: After Demolition he rarely worked as singles wrestler. He was quickly released by the WWF in late 1990 and since then has mostly toured through Japan and the US Indy Circuit as Tag-Team wrestler, though he won the Hertiga Championship with his old gimmick Masked Superstar years later.

Rick Steiner after the breakup of the Steiner Bros. was a 2 time TV Champion and 1 time US Champion. I think that's pretty OK for an older wrestler who wrestled in a Company where the Main Event scene was mostly occupied by the same 6 guys who rarely let anyone else into this group.

And you can't name Ray Rougeau. He had some serious chronic back problems and that's why the Rougeaus broke up in early 1990. Rougeau retired and only came back for a very few matches mostly at House Shows.

You should've named the British Bulldogs. While Davey Boy Smith became a successful singles wrestlers, Dynamite Kid fell apart in Japan and some Indy promotions, never achieving a singles title or any big success.

Another good example is Men on a Mission: Mabel infamously became King of the Ring and forced us poor people to watch his fat body half naked, he became Hardcore Champion. Mo on the other hand completely vanished

As for the opposite:
Power Team USA/Blade Runners - Sting and Ultimate Warrior became hugely popular Champions with multiple single championships.

Beer Money Inc. - Both Bobby Rude and James Storm are so far very successful in TNA, both became World Heavyweight Champion

Skyscrapers: Sid Justice went on to become WWF and WCW World Champion. Mark Calous became a legend as The Undertaker.
Dan Spivey went on to become AJPW Unified World Tag Team Championship with Stan Hansen and UWF Americas Champion and i heard that WWF planned to give him a big push as Waylon Mercy but his injuries forced him to retire. Though his run as Skyscraper can also be named, he started his career in another Tag-Team called American Starship in Florida, i don't know if they won any titles but his Partner also became quite a well known Intercontinental, Tag-Team, TV and US Champion later in the WWF and WCW: Scott Hall.

The Vegas Connection - After the breakup DDP and Kevin Nash went on to quite a few World Champions and other titles in WWF and WCW and later reunited as a Tag-Team named The Insiders

The US Express - Mike Rotunda went on to 3 NWA/WCW TV Championships and 1 NWA/Florida Heavyweight Championship and later a successful Tag-Team Run with Money Inc. Barry Windham became a part of the Four Horsemen and won every WCW Singles title, including World Championship

Would the Hollywood Blondes count? Brian Pillman was a fairly successful (2x Light Heavyweight Champion in WCW) singles wrestlers who i think was on it's way to a big push when he sadly died. Steve Autin of course became one of the biggest names in Wrestling ever.

The Miracle Violence Connection - Terry Gordy and Steve Williams were hugely successful in Japan as Tag-Team (5x AJPW Unified Tag Team Champions) and on single runs (both became Triple Crown Champions)

Cosmic Cowboys - Kevin & Kerry von Erich started their career as a Tag-Team. Both later won multiple singles Championships in WCCW, NWA and Kerry of course as Texas Tornado also in the WWF

The Megapowes - Neither Hogan or Savage suffered from the Breakup Wink

That's all i can think of at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 pm

I said Tito got the raw end of the deal because of the El Matador character. I felt that wa pretty embarassing for a wrestler of his caliber (though not as bad as Terry Taylor and the Red Rooster gimmick).

As for the Bulldogs, I thought like The Rougeau, they broke up mainly due to Dynamite's health problems (BTW, didn't know the reasons for Rougeau brothers) so I didn't mention them.

I also didn't mention tag teams comprised of sucessful singles competitors for obvious reasons.

With The Rockers, Jannety had a short lived IC run and his tag team with 1-2-3 Kid was also short lived. Most of his downfall was his own fault, but it all started with the Rockers break-up.

Totally forgot about MoM, especially since I thought of them before making my list (damn my ADD). On the flip side I forgot about The Skyscrapers and Hollywood Blondes, never rememered DDP and Vinny Vegas taging (just remember Nash being a bodyguard) didn't think about Blade Runners, and TNA tends to be an afterthought with me.

Gotta understand, my memory is sometimes wonky. I also have ADD so I forget a lot of stuff unless I write it down. But you gotta agree that a lot of tag teams fall into that pattern

Any thoughts on the Paul Orndorf interview? It's the same attitude in Vince that really annoys me. Bigger is better is so annoying, especially when people talk about how hard it is to believe a smaller guy could beat a bigger guy. Happens a lot, size and strength often gets it's ass handed to it by speed and skill.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Well, I took the plunge again and got the Extreme Rules PPV. I was just going to read results but I really want to see what happens with Brock vs. Cena. I tried everything I could to see it for free, but all sites offering the PPV wanted you to fill out a survey or try out free offers from virus infected sites. The surveys wouldn't work and I already have enough computer problems. I tried about 20 of those before giving up and ordering it. Hopefully, this doesn't dissapoint because I really didn't need to order another PPV.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Thoughts on Extrem Rules:

Orton vs. Kane (Falls Count Anywhere): Pretty decent Falls Anywhere match but not the greatest (none will ever top Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan). Kane and Orton hardly ever put on bad matches. Winner: Orton

Brodus Clay vs. Dolph Ziggler: Still don't like this stupid Gimmick and normally I don't care for Hornswaggle. However, Ziggler can make any opponent look good so the match was decent. Also Horswaggle makes a pretty damn funny mini Funkasarus (though I'm sure it will get old fast, as I used to laugh at his Leprecahn persona)

Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show: This was not too bad for a Big Show match as he has upped his game in recent times plus Rhodes, like Ziggler, can make most look good. Despite the announcers talk, the fans seemed to turn on Show and cheer Rhodes at the end when Show annihilated him. Winner: Rhodes

Shemus vs. DB (2 Out Of 3 Falls): Old school match stipulation that used to happen a lot in the 70s and 80s but is very rare now. This makes up for the short match at WM but I still think DB should have won (he is very over and Shemus is starting to get booed, but WWE hardly ever listens to the fans these days. Winner: Shamus

Ryback vs 2 Local Jobbers: What is that familiar smell? Oh yes! Squash! Ryback needs to stop squashing these no name wrestlers. Especially two small guys like that (people talk about Punk and DB being too small to be believable, but one of these two look like Zack Gowen but with both legs. Funny to hear Goldberg chants from the crowd. Shows the long memories of the wrestling fans (though Goldberg did squash better quality opponents)

Punk vs. Jericho (Chicago Street Fight): This match was awesome and almost stole the whole show. These two cannot put on bad matches. One of the only times I could care less about who won as Jericho is my favorite from way back and Punk is one of my new favorites. Another funny quip from a fan was saying something about Fozzy being the worst muppet. Booker threatened to beat up Cole at one point, to which Cole says, "If your fighting is like your announcing, I think I’ll be safe." Funniest thing Cole has ever said (I'm warming up to him now that he has stopped yelling and ranting-before I actually had no problem with his commntary but during that phase I was to the point of turing off the TV at certain points.

After some great matches with many high profile spots they finally do their ‘Don’t try this at home!’. This after a match that had kendo sticks, chairs, and a flying elbow from Punk to Jericho through the announcer's table. Talk about bad timing.

Niki Bella vs. Layla: Not bad for a Divas match but for crying out loud! Stop putting these things so far into the card!

Cena vs. Lesnar (No Holds Barred): This was the reason I got the PPV and boy did it deliver! Lesnar looked an absoulte monster and just decimated Cena through a large majority of the match. Cena got legitimatly bloodied up and for a while there I thought that Lesnar had gone off script and decided to really destroy Cena. Cena sold it so well, I was starting to think this would be a squash match. It wasn't until Cena started getting in some offense that I realized it was all part of the act. Still Lesnar dominated almost the whole thing and the only way for Cena to win was to use his chain around his fist to get the upper hand and just barely won. I think this was the best approach despite thinking Lesnar had to win. Cena had to win becuase of his loss to another part timer and the fact that Lesnar is not going to be full time and is really just in it for the money and not the love of the business. Yet it doesn't bury Lesnar either because Cena had to use a chain to stop him. This was a real bloody match (no blading) and was a testament to how tough Cena really is. Too be able to take that much punishment from a real badass like Lesnar. And is shows how badass Lesnar really is because he was not pulling punches and was not faking it.

Punk & Jericho was the best wrestling match with the best spots. However, it didn't totally steal the show as the Lesnar/Cena match. It was the best extreme match. I'm glad I got this PPV as it was miles ahead of WM and didn't have those vomit inducing rap numbers.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 am

BTW, I think Cena changed some fans minds. They actually cheered him when he thanked them for a great night (the first time in a long time I didn't hear andy boos for Cena). I've never been a big Cena fan but I've always respected his hard work. In recent years he has grown stale and I understand the hate for him. However, I think that maybe he might be open to improving his game. He really put in a lot of effort in this match and the fact that he allowed himsef to get bloodied up shows that he is not affraid to look weak and take real punishment. However, if he goes back to Super Cena and starts laughing at danger again then I will be proved wrong, but hopefully his character will evolve. I hope so because desptie not liking the performer, I do like the man. Opposite of Lesnar as I like the performer but not the man.

Lesnar has more skills and isn't content to rest on his laurels but the man is an ass. He has said that he doesn't care about the fans. This was not in character, he doesn't like people. He's the kind that if you were to ask for an autograph would either charge you for it or tell you to fake off. Of course, I don't have to like a person to be entertained. Alec Baldwin is a complete ass IMO, but he is a great actor and a very funny person.

Cena on the other hand loves wrestling and is in it for more than money and fame. Cena will shake your hand and autograph anything you give to him. Unfortuantly, he is kind of boring in the ring and could use some new moves. He also needs to evolve his character. However, unless the ones in charge lets that happen he will remain. However, the character evolution might now be green lit. I can only hope so because while I like the man, I'd prefer to like the performer.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling, but I was really happy with Extreme Rules. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I can hook you up with my user name password on WWE's PPV site.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I said Tito got the raw end of the deal because of the El Matador character. I felt that wa pretty embarassing for a wrestler of his caliber (though not as bad as Terry Taylor and the Red Rooster gimmick).

I don't think the gimmick was that bad, i mean it was just a name and a traditional bullfighter Outfit. Compare it to the Rooster and his in-ring behaviour or take a look at the Berzerker and his toy sword or Papa Shango and his "voodoo" (the short 'feud' with the Ultimate Warrior was embarassing) and Rick Martel became "The Model" with his Atomizer spray and the big "Yes, i'm a model" button on his jacket, which made him look like a fool and what came out of it? A very stupid storyline with Jake Roberts that ended in the worst Match in Wrestlemania History.
Santana was never involved in any crap like that.

DallasBlack wrote:

As for the Bulldogs, I thought like The Rougeau, they broke up mainly due to Dynamite's health problems (BTW, didn't know the reasons for Rougeau brothers) so I didn't mention them.

No, Dynamite Kid remained active until 1996. He continued to wrestle in Japan in a Team with Johnny Smith (don't know who that guy is) and later as singles wrestler in England and Germany. He never achieved much success during this time.
Though it's interesting to note that he was involved in a minor copyright fuss during the time in Germany, as the Federation he worked for (GPW - German Pro Wrestling) just used the name British Bulldogs for a Team consisting of Dynamite and "Danny Boy Collins", they competed against a Guy who called himself "British LOD", though they later explained that "LOD" stands for "Legend of Doom", the WWF didn't like this either. A few months later GPW closed its doors.

DallasBlack wrote:

never rememered DDP and Vinny Vegas taging (just remember Nash being a bodyguard)

It was in 1991. There was the stable named "The Diamond Mine" with DDP, Nash, Scotty Flamingo (Raven) and Diamond Studd (Scott Hall).
It was basically a remake of the AWA's Diamond Exchange where DDP acted as a Manager (The Wrestlers were Curt Hennig, Madusa Micelli, Col. DeBeers and Badd Company (Simon Diamond & Pat Tanaka who later went to the WWF as Orient Express) with DDP becoming an active Wrestler. When the Diamond Mine broke up, DDP and Nash continued to be a Tag-Team.

DallasBlack wrote:

Any thoughts on the Paul Orndorf interview? It's the same attitude in Vince that really annoys me. Bigger is better is so annoying, especially when people talk about how hard it is to believe a smaller guy could beat a bigger guy. Happens a lot, size and strength often gets it's ass handed to it by speed and skill.

It's obvious he has a very 'old school' set of mind.
He's right about one thing: "Pay your dues". Back then wrestlers had to work hard to climb up the ladder to success. They started out in some small indy fed working for 50$ a night and only later made it to the big promotions. While today a lot of young guys are thrown into the Spotlight and you can just see that they lack experience and burn out quickly. Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, John Cena...it was very obvious during their first years in the WWE. With the Warrior it was the same, he transistioned to quickly. In just 2 years he went from the CWA through Mid South to the WCCW and now was already in the WWF and had the IC title

Everything else: It gave me a good laugh.
Ok, he hates Flair, i guess it's pure jealousy. Flair was the Nr. 1 Star in the NWA for about 20 years.
I'm surprised he talks so positive about Hogan, in previous interviews i always got the Impression that Orndorff completely hates him.

Saying that Bret Hart is a nobody in 1993 when he was the most popular wrestler in Canada and Europe (and after those Sex and Steroid Scandals the WWF had to endure after 1992 those were the more important markets as the WWF lost more and more viewers in the US), is just stupid.
Saying it's a mistake to give the World Champion title to Hart or Savage but then saying that somebody like Terry Funk gave the title some meaning....i don't understand it. Look at old pictures of Funk, his Body isn't any bigger or in any better shape than those of Savage or Hart, they're about the same size and both are better technical wrestlers than Funk
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
BTW, I think Cena changed some fans minds. They actually cheered him when he thanked them for a great night (the first time in a long time I didn't hear andy boos for Cena). I've never been a big Cena fan but I've always respected his hard work. In recent years he has grown stale and I understand the hate for him. However, I think that maybe he might be open to improving his game. He really put in a lot of effort in this match and the fact that he allowed himsef to get bloodied up shows that he is not affraid to look weak and take real punishment. However, if he goes back to Super Cena and starts laughing at danger again then I will be proved wrong, but hopefully his character will evolve. I hope so because desptie not liking the performer, I do like the man. Opposite of Lesnar as I like the performer but not the man.

Lesnar has more skills and isn't content to rest on his laurels but the man is an ass. He has said that he doesn't care about the fans. This was not in character, he doesn't like people. He's the kind that if you were to ask for an autograph would either charge you for it or tell you to fake off. Of course, I don't have to like a person to be entertained. Alec Baldwin is a complete ass IMO, but he is a great actor and a very funny person.

Cena on the other hand loves wrestling and is in it for more than money and fame. Cena will shake your hand and autograph anything you give to him. Unfortuantly, he is kind of boring in the ring and could use some new moves. He also needs to evolve his character. However, unless the ones in charge lets that happen he will remain. However, the character evolution might now be green lit. I can only hope so because while I like the man, I'd prefer to like the performer.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling, but I was really happy with Extreme Rules. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I can hook you up with my user name password on WWE's PPV site.
The wrestling site I check out regularly actually gave this PPV a "replay-worthy" review. They haven't done that in a loooooong time.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

The wrestling site I check out regularly actually gave this PPV a "replay-worthy" review. They haven't done that in a loooooong time.

A lot of people have given that match praise. The only bitching I read is about Cena winning. People say his win made Brock look weak but anybody who actually watched that match and put their dislike of Cena aside can clearly see that Brock came out looking the strongest. Cena had to use a chain wraped around his fist and wait for Brock to make a mistake before he could get the win. Brock looked like an all out monster and Cena looked like someone who had no choice but to rely on luck and a weapon. Every other time Cena got some offense it was killed by Brock before it could give him an advantage. Plus as I said, they can't completly bury their top star just for a guy who will probably be gone in another year.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Apparently Brock was upset at the outcome. Cena was supposed to get the win but plans were changed at the end and Brock threw a fit:

We noted earlier that Brock Lesnar had a meltdown backstage after his loss to John Cena at Extreme Rules. Lesnar was upset about Cena’s post-match promo because the original plan had Cena getting stretchered out. Lesnar felt that he was made to look weak and WWE officials double crossed him.

F4Wonline.com reports that WWE’s new mentality with Lesnar is that they’re paying a lot of money for a guy who is not their top guy, so he should be used when he can to put over their top talents. People in Lesnar’s camp were feeling like WWE was just testing Lesnar by having Cena cut the post-match speech.

Brock was told before the Extreme Rules match that Cena would go out on a stretcher and look totally incapacitated and be injured. Lesnar went nuts backstage in front of everyone, tearing things up and throwing a tantrum. Lesnar specifically yelled at Marc Carano, the assistant to John Laurinaitis, about how things are a mess and everything is wrong in WWE. Some felt that part of the tantrum was just an act by Lesnar to show to the locker room that he could quit at any minute. Some of those same people felt that WWE officials could have been involved in Lesnar trying to work the other talents.

Lesnar also suggested that Cena intentionally pulled down the top rope at Extreme Rules, causing him to nearly blow out his knee in the bad spot towards the end of the match where they both tumbled over to the floor. Again, most believe that there is no real heat between Cena and Lesnar over this and this also could have been part of an act by Lesnar.

Despite what’s an act and what’s part of the TV storylines, sources insist that Lesnar’s status and future with WWE is a sticky situation. While Lesnar vs. Triple H is in the works for SummerSlam, some in the company are already predicting that he will end up working the remaining big pay-per-view events of 2012, Royal Rumble 2013 and then WrestleMania 29 before being done with the company.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Didn't expect to see Paul Heyman return and it was a nice surprise. I pretty much fast forwarded the entire show tho until it got to that segment. I thought it was fresh. Paul is always good on the mic.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I love Paul Heyman.

Who else could make stars out of people like Spike Dudley and Mikey Whipwreck. The guy has a great mind for wrestling psychology. Unfortunately, he totally sucks as a businessman.

I would love to see somebody like TNA give Heyman the reigns and see what he could come up with. I'm afraid this reappearance in WWE was a one-off shot.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Maybe he'll stick around for a bit:

For those wondering, Lesnar quitting WWE is just a storyline. Heyman is also working under a deal with WWE. Plans are in place to have Heyman in the company through August. A Lesnar vs. Triple H grudge match is expected for SummerSlam where Heyman will be featured with Lesnar. Heyman will most likely disappear from WWE TV following SummerSlam.

Until then, he will be a main part of the Lesnar storyline and will be making semi-regular appearances for WWE going forward. Heyman can be used on TV to represent Lesnar while Lesnar has to be kept away due to having a limited number of dates on his contract.

As far as why he came back, it was described as a chance for him to do something new on a limited basis, get his name out, work with some people he cares for and make some money. Heyman’s WWE return was put together in the last week and was not something that has been planned all along.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

He'll be around for a while. He says as long as the pay is good and he works with people he likes (i.e. Brock). He's also interested in doing a program with CM Punk.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:50 pm

After watching a marathon of prison shows on Natgeo, I was reminded of one of my favorite wrestlers back in the day, the late Big Boss Man. One of the purlely brawling wrestlers that I was a fan of (I usually prefer the technical ones) was a former prison guard which was exploited with his WWF character. This renewed interest got me surfing Youtube for videos of him. Before he was Big Boss Man he was Big Bubba Rogers. I found this old match against One Man Gang in 1987 (one year before they would compete in WWF as Akeem and Big Boss Man, the Twin Towers managed by the Doctor of Style Slick) also features a yong Jim Ross and the late Dr. Death:

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Man did I ever love the UWF. When it got bought out by the Crockett people I was so excited since I would now get to see the UWF stars on the shows that would come to Baltimore. Saw an amazing Barry Windham/Bubba Rogers match on the 87 Bash Tour.

Make sure you find the cage match from MSG between Bossman and Hogan. It is an even better one than the SNME cage match. The superplex off the cage is insane. And lord ALfred Hayes is awesome calling for the paramedics.

Then there is this. Easily one of my favorite matches ever. And for years I had only seen the edited version of it. Here is the full version.

Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:46 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
He'll be around for a while.

At least until he again clashes with Stephanie McMahon, it's a well known fact those two don't like each other. But i guess Heyman needs money, all his plans from Hollywood to MMA fel through. I just wonder why he doesn't help out any other promotion with his creative mind - instead he goes to WWE where nobody will listen to him. It's always sad to see a talent get wasted.

jstate wrote:
Man did I ever love the UWF. When it got bought out by the Crockett people I was so excited since I would now get to see the UWF stars on the shows that would come to Baltimore. Saw an amazing Barry Windham/Bubba Rogers match on the 87 Bash Tour.

Mid-South/UWF was great, they always had a fantastic roster (most of the guys ended up at the WWF or WCW) and from all the shows and matches i've seen (isn't that much sadly) it was really awesome. Even Jim Duggan had great matches back there, unlike his WWF run where he only shined against his old Mid South enemies (like Ted DiBiase)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: