Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One great thing about having a depressed music industry

Go down 
+12
exact33
Rex
thejokeriv
krokus
BearOnUnicycle
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
Olafsto
sheets
Cliffy
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

One great thing about having a depressed music industry Empty
PostSubject: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm

It forces classic lineups to reunite!

Just look at how much better the material got for RIOT, FATES WARNING, ANTHRAX, JUDAS PRIEST, and others when the reunions happened.

Listening to RIOT right now and thinking how much fresher and exciting this sounds compared to what they were doing since Tony Moore left.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm

That is very true! The best being Accept for the reunion of classic bands!

Its also brought on some real crap bands reforming too. I prefer the good ones though. haha
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Pretty much everyone has to reunite just to survive in this climate.
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

JUDAS PRIEST Angel Of Retribution...one of, if not THE highlight of their storied carrier.
However...Nostradamus...what a piss poor, demo sounding, horrid follow up.

ACCEPT Blood Of The Nations...unbelievable from start to finish.

sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Cliffy wrote:
However...Nostradamus...what a piss poor, demo sounding, horrid follow up.

Eh, it was an experiment. They had to get it out of their system. I'm thinking their upcoming album will be better Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

It woulda been fine had it not sounded like some lame demo.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Cliffy wrote:
It woulda been fine had it not sounded like some lame demo.

You could always fix that Cliffy.. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:42 pm

haha...I can't fix rotten guitar tones! At least not as bad as what is on Nostradamus.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I thought the production was pretty good but that the album's main problem was too much filler and too much plodding material. It definitely has some strong moments though.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I thought the production was pretty good but that the album's main problem was too much filler and too much plodding material. It definitely has some strong moments though.

Ya, with albums like these that have unnecessary interludes, story-lines, etc., I just burn my own copy with my favorite tracks on a cd without all the crap and it turns out to be a much better listen.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:50 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Ya, with albums like these that have unnecessary interludes, story-lines, etc., I just burn my own copy with my favorite tracks on a cd without all the crap and it turns out to be a much better listen.

I completely agree - There are some really great songs on there (including the awesome title-track!), but the album is ruined with all the interludes and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 8:02 am

A lot of my favourites have reunited, but most of them still planning to release their new material "in near future". And I keep hearing this for like 5 years. Heir Apparent, CG, Fifth Angel, Lethal, Hittman - and not even a demo exists (well, HA have one from '03). A couple of concerts at KIT is cool, but not enough Very Happy . So maybe it would be easier for (smaller) bands if record lables show some signs of life.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 3:28 pm

I dont think that RIOT sound more fresher now. They sound like 88. I think that NIGHTBREAKER or SONS OF SOCIETY were great albums too, with many cool songs. They didnt sound old during the 90s at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 4:46 pm

If the particular lineup of musicians still have chemistry and inspire each other it can be a great thing...but if "money" is the only reason for the reunion, it could just as easily be reputation-tarnishing garbage.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 6:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
If the particular lineup of musicians still have chemistry and inspire each other it can be a great thing...but if "money" is the only reason for the reunion, it could just as easily be reputation-tarnishing garbage.

Has this actually been the case where a reunion was worse than what was going on before?

Besides IRON MAIDEN that is.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
A lot of my favourites have reunited, but most of them still planning to release their new material "in near future". And I keep hearing this for like 5 years. Heir Apparent, CG, Fifth Angel, Lethal, Hittman - and not even a demo exists (well, HA have one from '03). A couple of concerts at KIT is cool, but not enough Very Happy . So maybe it would be easier for (smaller) bands if record lables show some signs of life.

Good point.

I think CRIMSON GLORY will have an album pretty soon though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Has this actually been the case where a reunion was worse than what was going on before?

TONS of people (including myself) disagree with you. The new stuff is as good as the classic 80's albums! I understand why you don't get it, but that is simple not true. Maiden is the PRIME example of a band that sounds and plays better post-reunion. Obviously MOST fans agree, since they sell more tickets than back in the day. Plus, 1/2 the audience are younger people than us today, showing there is some hope for the next generation.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Metallica outsells their first classic albums too, but we all know that doesn't mean the newer material is better.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:22 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:

TONS of people (including myself) disagree with you. The new stuff is as good as the classic 80's albums! I understand why you don't get it, but that is simple not true. Maiden is the PRIME example of a band that sounds and plays better post-reunion. Obviously MOST fans agree, since they sell more tickets than back in the day. Plus, 1/2 the audience are younger people than us today, showing there is some hope for the next generation.

Ill echo joker here too. I think Maiden is just as good as they were with bruce before. Its not the same music over and over which may disappoint some but they really have some great modern day material.

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Count me as one who doesn't think the newer maiden is anywhere near as good as their older classic albums.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Rex wrote:
Count me as one who doesn't think the newer maiden is anywhere near as good as their older classic albums.

Thank you.

Even the two Blaze albums had some very strong songs. "Sign of the Cross" is a masterpiece and I hear nothing on their last 3 albums to compare with it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

You're changing the argument. My original post in this thread was about the new releases of the bands and that is what I was referring to with my reunion comments. I also think IRON MAIDEN play MUCH better these days too. But their new albums are snoozers and if it didn't have their name on it then next to no one would care.

Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Latest Iron Maiden was a huge clunker. I'd only assume Maiden sells more tickets nowadays (or is it) as people want to hear the classics live one more time before they call it a day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Rex wrote:

Thank you.

Even the two Blaze albums had some very strong songs. "Sign of the Cross" is a masterpiece and I hear nothing on their last 3 albums to compare with it.
I would agree with that as well
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

You're changing the argument. My original post in this thread was about the new releases of the bands and that is what I was referring to with my reunion comments. I also think IRON MAIDEN play MUCH better these days too. But their new albums are snoozers and if it didn't have their name on it then next to no one would care.

he didnt change the argument - a lot of the fans are younger and the newer material is what they were first exposed to. While the first reign of Bruce was great, a lot of people look back with nostalgia rather than with objectivity. Not every album was perfect nor was every song a classic. The newer stuff gets ragged on because its not 'Powerslave' part 2 but the newer songs are good but its not what some fans want and they complain the loudest.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One great thing about having a depressed music industry   One great thing about having a depressed music industry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One great thing about having a depressed music industry
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next