Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..

Go down 
+18
ensiferum2k
rattpoison
mc666
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
exact33
TrogDawn
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
krokus
iamrockerfun
Required Fields
Lurideath
mr.electric39
Follower of Jesus
Wargod
Vordul
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Empty
PostSubject: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:46 am

Quote :
Cameron Adams of Australia's Herald Sun recently conducted an interview with KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons. A few excerpts from the chat follow;

On why there is no new KISS album:

"There's no new KISS material because there's no record industry.

"Any band who tries to do new material is trying to climb a slippery mountain. Every day record companies are folding. It'd be nice to have new KISS songs, but what's the business model? Do you just put songs on the Internet for free? Then what?''

On people who download music illegally:

"They're crooks. I would have sued the very first one and the very last one. As soon as you take somebody's property, that's stealing. People say to me 'You're rich, you have enough money'. It's actually not for anyone to decide that. I'll let you know when I'm too rich. The last time I checked, what we do isn't called charity, it's called the music business.

"Here we are today with exactly what I said would happen happening. The very same people that love the music the most have slit its throat and they're surprised it's dying. 'How come my new band can't get a shot?' 'Cos you killed it, smurfette.

"Every day college kids who probably love music more than anybody are the same people slashing the record industry's throat by file sharing and downloading. It's the saddest thing for new bands. Doesn't affect me or KISS. We can continue to play stadiums and do very well, and we release DVDs.

"But there isn't a chance for a new band to become the next BEATLES or KISS because there isn't the infrastructure to do it."

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 11:44 am

i somewhat agree about his stance on new bands............but then again i wouldn't like those sort of mainstream bands lol!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 pm

I read this awhile back but does he realize there are those out there may want to hear a song or 2 before they buy. I for one buy tons of cds to support the artists, but then again there some bands who love for you to DL their music just to get heard.
That goes with those bands trying to get started, sounds like to me with him it's all about the money and not music nowdays. There are far better bands out there than Kiss nowdays, Kiss were pioneers and they should be proud that they paved the way for what todays music is today!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:52 pm

I don't like Gene much, but on this issue, he's 100% right. He's not nailing the people who download a song or two to sample. He's nailing the millions who download entire albums and never purchase them. He's nailing those who buy an album, and then make copies for friends. He's nailing those who buy an album and then re-sell it, but keep a copy on their computer.

Its stealing, folks. He's absolutely right.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 pm

He's right... but at the same time... didn't this go on with cassette tape? Obviously not to the degree or ease that it is now with computers and such..

But when I walk into a F.Y.E. store in my local mall and see them ask for $18.99 for 'Back in Black' or the new Keith Urban (just an example) I go ... no wonder people copy and file share....

yes there is the right to make a profit and get rich... But when you (the industry) say charge $25 for Iron Maiden 'live after death' on CD at Best Buy... what 12 or 14 year old kid can plunk it down...

$25 or free....? We know someone making a killing, because all of those 20th Century masters are $10 or less. yes they made their money already, but uncontrolled greed (how much is enough let Gene be the judge of that) brings on innovation for others to get it for free....

They killed top forty... They killed MTV.... They killed rock radio..... the corporate bottom line machine killed much of the business.... not just the 'down loaders', frankly most folks bought singles not albums back in the day... And the vast majority of money in music is made from PUBLISHING RIGHTS. not album sales... That's why a hit single is gold in the bank... Everytime it's played, the artist or whoever holds the rights to it get paid....

Gene's right.... we're all thieves.... How much was that Kiss T-Shirt anyway.... ( I thought family jewels was fabulous...)

Very Happy

I've paid for stuff from ITunes ... and occationally burn the odd disc from friends or such. I not standing up for anyone who builds a music collection off the net only, that's stealing.

SO THE QUESTION IS WHATS THE ANSWER?..... Copy protection?.... I'm glad I don't have to figure it out....

Last edited by on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm

Thats exactly why downloading happens, is the prices of CD's. I am not sticking up for it or saying its wrong. The corporations and greedy CEO's and whatnot have pushed the prices so damn high that one simply feels ripped off.

Gene is right though as well as that there is no industry. The music business needs a complete overhaul!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 pm

One thing I found hilarious was how he said he would sue every last one of the downloaders.

Gene Simmons, of all people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:57 pm

main reasin is why there is no next KiSS album is that there are no $ for Gene.
sucker !
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Agree with GENE SIMMONS. Still, i dont think its bad if you download a album or two but you have to buy. I dont download anything today because i dont care about cdrom or music in a computer but before i had some records on tapes recorded from friends. Still, i always bought lps, tapes and cds because i know that a band and the record industrie need money for their work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Gene speaks the truth. The thieves steal, then they whine. When it comes down to it, with sites like MySpace, MP3.com, Soundcity, etc., no one really needs to download anything to hear if they'd be interested in a band. That angle set sail long ago.

The idea that anything like this should be free is idiotic, and no excuse out there makes it anything but stealing. This is fact. But I download from time to time. I don't consider myself a thief, but technically I am when you get right down to it. And so are you.

And Gene is right.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Gene is against illegal downloads? Shocking!!

He's right though. The dude can be a pompous a$$, but he makes a good point.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:39 pm

I download sometimes, I have a few times in tough periods,but I want my CDs.

People that act like they have some god given right to download music for free tho, pisses me off to no end.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:40 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Thats exactly why downloading happens, is the prices of CD's. I am not sticking up for it or saying its wrong. The corporations and greedy CEO's and whatnot have pushed the prices so damn high that one simply feels ripped off.

But if we use that line of reasoning, then shoplifting would be justified when an item is, in your opinion, too costly. Want that candy bar? Think the candy companies are too greedy and charge too much for it? Then just steal it. When we put that reasoning into this context, I think we all see immediately how dangerous that slippery slope is.

I agree that $19 for a CD is WAY, WAY, WAY too much. But that's not my decision to make. I also think new cars are ridiculously priced, but I don't steal those either. The bottom line is that the owner of a product, be it music, a car, a candy bar, etc., is entitled to charge what they want, and the free market decides if it sells or not. The answer cannot ever be that its okay to steal the music instead.

Their greed doesn't ever justify theft. And downloading of songs is theft, pure and simple.

(I have strong feelings on this issue. Please forgive me if it seems like I'm coming on too strong...I don't mean to impugn anyone here.)
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Simmonsrecords_indexlogo
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Corporations like FYE pushed the prices that high. Places like Best Buy and Newbury Comics and such are still selling CDs for the same prices they sold them for in the 80s, and oftentimes for much, much less. I've picked up brand new albums from known bands for $6.99 at Best Buy before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Yes, downloading music without paying for it is stealing. I'm not arguing that. BUT, to Gene I say "give me a freakin' break you spoiled, overpaid, bloated glutton!"

There are more bands, more labels, more affordable ways to record music & more "musicians" in this country alone than you can shake a stick at. To say that it's "flooded" would be a gross understatement.

Why will there never be another KISS? Or Beatles? Or U2? Because the labels got greedy. Major labels don't develop artists anymore.

You get one shot, maye two, to have some sort of charting hit. If your song doesn't chart & make them money, you get dropped or downsized to one of the smaller divisions. Labels don't sign musicians, they sign products.

By todays model, KISS & U2 would never have made 3rd albums. There would have been no "Destroyer" or "The Joshua Tree" had labels been operating then as they do now. More money is spent on a video for one song trying to "break" the latest clone than labels would spend in a year promoting an album years ago. Sign 'em, promote 'em, & if they don't go double platinum in 12 months drop 'em (and fire the guy who signed them). Yes, there are a few exceptions, but I bet you could count them on one hand.

When labels flood the market with substandard music in hopes of bleeding a trend dry AND overcharge for it, they're shooting themselves in the foot...people only have so much money to go around.

Labels started out as means to promote music/develop musicians and make a profit doing it....now, they have become corporate money-gluttons who USE music as a just another tool to MAKE money. The way they churn out the crap, they may as well be making post-it notes for all they care. Again, there may be exceptions but I bet you could count them on one hand.

In this scenario, I echo Chris Rock & say "Now, I'm not saying they should be downloading music, but I UNDERSTAND!" Laughing

"College kids", as Gene put it, may be helping nail the coffin shut on the music business, but it's the Greed Merchants (like Gene) who put the body in the coffin in the first place.

Oh, and Simon Cowell is the antichrist. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Quote :
I've picked up brand new albums from known bands for $6.99 at Best Buy before.

That's because Best Buy makes their money in the consumer electronics market...they sell CD's at or below cost ($6.99 is below cost) to get people in the door & sell them a 52" LCD HDTV.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Witness the VERY REAL effect that downloading has had on Gene Simmons:

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. 320gsimmonsfaceliftsurgzg7

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Mr20t2ly5
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Corporations like FYE pushed the prices that high. Places like Best Buy and Newbury Comics and such are still selling CDs for the same prices they sold them for in the 80s, and oftentimes for much, much less. I've picked up brand new albums from known bands for $6.99 at Best Buy before.

Well hell, I just grabbed a Zeppelin album at Wal Mart for $8 a few hours ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I've picked up brand new albums from known bands for $6.99 at Best Buy before.
That's because Best Buy makes their money in the consumer electronics market...they sell CD's at or below cost ($6.99 is below cost) to get people in the door & sell them a 52" LCD HDTV.
Whatever the reason, there are alternatives to those who feel like something costs too much.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:42 pm

BEWARE GENE SIMMONS AND HIS DOWNLOAD POSSE!!!!

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Genesimmons2cs6
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:01 pm

TROG YOU RULE !!!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Follower of Jesus wrote:

(I have strong feelings on this issue. Please forgive me if it seems like I'm coming on too strong...I don't mean to impugn anyone here.)

Bro I think we all understand and agree.

Echoing Shawn's sentiments.. Label's don't develop bands anymore... very very true.... This trend kicked off in the 80's with that late 80's hair metal, GNR clone movement.... Everyweek on the 'ball some new band was put out... some it was good, but where are they now???

Shotgun Messiah, or Bulletboys or Bang Tango, Danger Danger, Vain, Babylon AD the proverbial list is endless.... I'm sure many of those bands are still going strong(?) but oversaturation is not a good thing.... for the long term....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Gene is right though as well as that there is no industry. The music business needs a complete overhaul!

It is pretty simple though - dont like the price then dont listen to the music. dont buy the music and dont listen to it. Tell the label - we dont want high prices. Let the cds sit on the shelf and make them realize that if prices are high people will not buy. Labels get a free ride these days when they say they are not making money because of downloaders. Dont listen to music, dont download it and dont buy the cd. If people stopped downloading illegally and the music didnt sell let come to another conclusion.

I dont care for Gene but he has my support on this one. There are plenty out of outlets to sample songs before buying. Downloaders are just too cheap to buy the music - and it hurts all of those who like and care for the music.

Alex

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..   Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry.. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:16 pm

I don't like the idea of downloading for free.

Eyesore, FOJ and others are right. Even the most obscure band I can think of and want to check out has an official Myspace page or a fan Myspace page.

I've downloaded 18 purchased songs over the years and then another handful where the BAND was offering them free as samples.
Back to top Go down

Gene Simmons on illegal downloading and the music industry..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next