Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that started off great BUT...

Go down 
+18
krokus
kmorg
stepcousin
candlemass
mc666
scottmitchell74
Lurideath
spiritoradio
the sentinel
T-Roy
Chairman_Smith
GrandNational
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm

Bride (my all-time favorite Christian metal band)

Precious Death

I'm gonna get flogged for this but......Rush.....Rush only have about 6 songs after 1980 that I care about.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:47 pm

the sentinel wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
DREAM THEATER
While I like DT, I just find all the post Kevin Moore albums to be exercises in technical wankery. You really have to want to like them to get into them. They are work to listen to. You have to give them spin after spin to enjoy them IMO. On the other hand I find Images and Words and Awake to be brilliant.

As much as I love DT and have for 15 years, I agree with you Ult, but I will twist it a little. It seems to me that they alternate great albums and smurf poo albums. I'm there the day it comes out and take it home and within a few listens I can tell if it's gonna be one that I throw on the player alot or hardly at all. I don't mind the technical wankery so much when it's a great song but when it's not it just seems like 12 minutes of noodling. Peace.
I really don't think DT have a bad album. I like them all. Images & Words, though, is to them what the black album is to Metallica. I wonder if we'd be having a similar discussion now if the black album was Metallica's second album and Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Kill 'Em All followed?

Images & Words is not very different from what DT has released since; it's simply more streamlined and structured. That may be a winning mainstream combination for prog bands, but I still love DT. Like any prog band, though, most people don't have the patience or desire to really get into their more progressive albums/songs.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 12:40 am

Aerosmith
Motley Crue
Iced Earth (after Burnt Offerings & minus the upcoming album)
Death
Saxon
Bathory
Living Sacrifice
Black Flag
Great White
Def Leppard
Megadeth

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 1:47 am

Saxon, Megadeth? I think they're both hitting stride rather well now!

Mindcrime II has grown on me to where I enjoy it, I really dig the new "D" !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:23 am

AceFrehley655 wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:
The Beatles. They had seven really good years of recordings together, but when is the new album coming out guys...jeez

They were really great. I don't think that Yoko was the problem. Ringo,George,Paul and John were the problem.

The John Lennon period from Yoko to his untimely death in 1980, I dont like that John Lennon much at all, in fact I cant stand his solo stuff. IMO they started going downhill about a year after John and George dropped acid in 1966, Stg. Pepper was their last truly great album IMO. The White album is so overrated, although I like Abbey Road alot. The White album goes in about 16 different directions, it aint vintage Beatles to me, even though I was only a 1 year old when it came out.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Bride (my all-time favorite Christian metal band)

Precious Death

I'm gonna get flogged for this but......Rush.....Rush only have about 6 songs after 1980 that I care about.....

I agree with the Bride comment, although IMO they were on their way up in the late 80's/early 90's and then lost their way somehow. Their last couple are cool but they'll never be the band they were on the Pure Metal label.

The Rush comment: Just like Ultmetal feels about Aerosmith, I am toward Rush. I can definately see why casual Rush fans dont care for anything after Moving Pics, but I like evrything theyve ever put out, although they were not great for about 10 years from '86 to '96 and good at best since. I like their 80's stuff, I know the keyboards are way overkill and Alex is nowhere to be found, but I think Neil's drumwork in the 80's is very remarkable.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 6:54 am

candlemass wrote:
Saxon, Megadeth? I think they're both hitting stride rather well now!
i think the same of Slayer. that's the thing about opinions. everyone has a different one.

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 am

stepcousin wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:
The Beatles. They had seven really good years of recordings together, but when is the new album coming out guys...jeez

They were really great. I don't think that Yoko was the problem. Ringo,George,Paul and John were the problem.

The John Lennon period from Yoko to his untimely death in 1980, I dont like that John Lennon much at all, in fact I cant stand his solo stuff. IMO they started going downhill about a year after John and George dropped acid in 1966, Stg. Pepper was their last truly great album IMO. The White album is so overrated, although I like Abbey Road alot. The White album goes in about 16 different directions, it aint vintage Beatles to me, even though I was only a 1 year old when it came out.

The White Album is a solo album that's what I'm thinking. I like Abbey Road too I have it and it sound great!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 12:49 pm

I have to agree with Temple of Blood here. Just about every good band will start to go down after a while.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 3:03 pm

kmorg wrote:
I have to agree with Temple of Blood here. Just about every good band will start to go down after a while.

not Motorhead. but you wouldn't know that would you? :P

Edit: sorry I messed up your post. Hit edit in stead of quote.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 3:15 pm

mc666 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

not Motorhead. but you wouldn't know that would you? Razz

Well, they started out bad, so they couldn't get any worse!

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 3:19 pm

why you cheeky little....Evil or Very Mad

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:04 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Just off the top of my head...

Queensryche
Danzig
Def Leppard
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Pantera
Skid Row

Totaly agree. Many more:
OZZY OSBOURNE
GARY MOORE
POISON
MOTLEY CRUE
STORMWITCH
and nearly all the 80s bands to be honest. Most of them were better before then today. Thats a fact. Thats why many times i prefere to buy cd´s of newer bands because they are young and wild!!!!!
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:10 pm

The Elder ... ? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:11 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:

Love THE ELDER. I think that KISS only released one bad album, CARNIVAL OF SOULS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:12 pm

Metallica is the worst of all of them

Queensryche bores me now, but love Everything and including Empire.

Motley Crue, after Shout.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
DREAM THEATER
While I like DT, I just find all the post Kevin Moore albums to be exercises in technical wankery. You really have to want to like them to get into them. They are work to listen to. You have to give them spin after spin to enjoy them IMO. On the other hand I find Images and Words and Awake to be brilliant.

As much as I love DT and have for 15 years, I agree with you Ult, but I will twist it a little. It seems to me that they alternate great albums and smurf poo albums. I'm there the day it comes out and take it home and within a few listens I can tell if it's gonna be one that I throw on the player alot or hardly at all. I don't mind the technical wankery so much when it's a great song but when it's not it just seems like 12 minutes of noodling. Peace.
I really don't think DT have a bad album. I like them all. Images & Words, though, is to them what the black album is to Metallica. I wonder if we'd be having a similar discussion now if the black album was Metallica's second album and Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Kill 'Em All followed?

Images & Words is not very different from what DT has released since; it's simply more streamlined and structured. That may be a winning mainstream combination for prog bands, but I still love DT. Like any prog band, though, most people don't have the patience or desire to really get into their more progressive albums/songs.

I do. I just can't seem to like Falling Into Infinity. I have tried, oh, how I have tried. In fact I almost stopped listening to them at that point. I was gonna give one more album because the first four had been so phenomenal and just blew me away that I felt I owed at least that much. I am glad that I didn't stop cuz I actually think they're better know than ever. I know that is somewhat contradictory to this thread and I apologize to the starter, but there were no threads on bands that alternated good and bad albums.Smile
I agree with you, Eyesore, and I certainly respect your opinion. I don't think thay have a "bad" album, I feel that albums like FII and Octovarium pale somewhat when compared to the album that precedes or follows it. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 7:17 pm

mc666 wrote:

Death
Bathory
Megadeth

Waaaaa?!!! 
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 7:34 pm

I'll say I think Megadeth has made a nice recovery/comeback. Actually, that can be said of a lot of those mentioned where they came to their senses and just started doing what they do best....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 7:35 pm

I'll say I think Megadeth has made a nice recovery/comeback. Actually, that can be said of a lot of those mentioned where they came to their senses and just started doing what they do best....
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 8:30 pm

metalness wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Death
Bathory
Megadeth

Waaaaa?!!!
wow, i never looked at it that way. thanks for the insight. Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 pm

krokus wrote:
iamrockerfun wrote:

Love THE ELDER. I think that KISS only released one bad album, CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

I don't think it's bad. It's just REALLY different. I must listen to it again the last time it was like 5 years ago or something. I wasn't a KISS fan. If you love KISS all the album are good. If you just love Metal not all. If you just love Emo I don't know why you're listening to KISS.

Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Tommy_doc

Doc and Tommy look old...Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:59 am

krokus wrote:
iamrockerfun wrote:

like it, why not ?! CoS is good too, like it. no bad album form KiSS. changing periods of time ... that's all.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:47 am

iamrockerfun wrote:
krokus wrote:
iamrockerfun wrote:

like it, why not ?! CoS is good too, like it. no bad album form KiSS. changing periods of time ... that's all.

Yeah. It's a good album.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 2:05 pm

metalness wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Death
Bathory
Megadeth

Waaaaa?!!!

Totaly agree, all those 3 bands started increible good and little by little they started to release more shity albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that started off great BUT...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next