Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that started off great BUT...

Go down 
+18
krokus
kmorg
stepcousin
candlemass
mc666
scottmitchell74
Lurideath
spiritoradio
the sentinel
T-Roy
Chairman_Smith
GrandNational
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Bands that started off great BUT... Empty
PostSubject: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Bands that started off great BUT...got progressively worse.

I'll start things off with
XENTRIX (started off as a great thrash band. Their first two albums were great, their third was a step down, but still good, their last CD was just terrible.)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Ooooh... please don't hate me for this Ult, cuz I know you're a huge fan, but I gotta go with Aerosmith here...

I love the 70s Smiff stuff to death, I even dug the "hair metal" late 80s stuff (i.e. "Permanent Vacation") but the last album of theirs I really dug was PUMP. I haven't liked a thing I've heard from 'em since...

Please don't kill me man... affraid

Other obvious answers would be Metallica and Def Leppard, but Aerosmith were the first name that came to mind....
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Channel Zero

Started out with an absolute RIPPER of a thrash album, second album was a so-so groove / semi-thrash album. After that, total groove infested Pantera worship.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Ooooh... please don't hate me for this Ult, cuz I know you're a huge fan, but I gotta go with Aerosmith here...

I love the 70s Smiff stuff to death, I even dug the "hair metal" late 80s stuff (i.e. "Permanent Vacation") but the last album of theirs I really dug was PUMP. I haven't liked a thing I've heard from 'em since...

Please don't kill me man... affraid

Bands that started off great BUT... 722746

I can understandy why people might not like the more pop oriented stuff. I'm just an Aero-fanatic. What can I say?

Seriously though, have you listened to "Honkin' on Bobo"? It is classic Aerosmith IMO.

Last edited by on Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Almost all the great metal bands.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Just off the top of my head...

Queensryche
Danzig
Def Leppard
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Pantera
Skid Row
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Metallica, obviously.

The first four are classics. The Black Album was the beginning of the end, but it had its moments. However, the Loads were complete crap. The Black Album was their first really commercial album, but it still had some elements of the past sound in a couple of places; on Load, they dropped any elements of the old sound completely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Almost all the great metal bands.

Very true. I think if you look at any great metal band that started out strong have somewhere in their catalog big holes and weakness in their later releases. Some of them redeem themselves by releasing decent albums after falling off the deep end, i.e., Tourniquet, Bride, Helloween, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Seriously though, have you listened to "Honkin' on Bobo"? It is classic Aerosmith IMO.

Nah, I haven't paid much attention to any new Aerosmith discs ever since I bought GET A GRIP, hated it, and traded it off. What little I have heard (on the radio, MTV, VH1, etc.) since then hasn't done much to rekindle my curiosity either...

Remember when they jammed "Walk This Way" during the Super Bowl half time show with Britney Spears and the boyz from N'Sync?? That was pretty much the final straw for me sick (tho I will admit that Britney filled out that Aerosmith T-shirt very well at that time, hahaha)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Remember when they jammed "Walk This Way" during the Super Bowl half time show with Britney Spears and the boyz from N'Sync?? That was pretty much the final straw for me sick (tho I will admit that Britney filled out that Aerosmith T-shirt very well at that time, hahaha)

Yeah she did!

Give Honkin' on Bobo a try. You might like it. Echoes back to their 70's catalog. It's all old blues songs done Aerosmith style, which as you might know was something Aerosmith did a lot in the 70's (Train Kept a Rollin', Rattlesnake Shake, Milk Cow Blues, etc.)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:54 pm

DREAM THEATER
While I like DT, I just find all the post Kevin Moore albums to be exercises in technical wankery. You really have to want to like them to get into them. They are work to listen to. You have to give them spin after spin to enjoy them IMO. On the other hand I find Images and Words and Awake to be brilliant.

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Aerosmith! lol!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 4:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Pantera

YES
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Metallica...
Aerosmith...
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 4:29 pm

It pains me to say this, cuz Deliverance is my favorite band of all
time, and I still love them allot. But, Browns vision of never wanting
to do the same thing/style again, for me, has always led to more
disapointment than amazement.

And I would certainly disagree with Metallica. Yes there sound has
changed quite a bit. But I can't think of any bands that have survived
so many years and still sound awesome and still have that "Metallica"
sound. I would say they are the opposite...like a fine wine!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 4:44 pm

T-Roy wrote:
And I would certainly disagree with Metallica. Yes there sound has
changed quite a bit. But I can't think of any bands that have survived
so many years and still sound awesome and still have that "Metallica"
sound. I would say they are the opposite...like a fine wine!

I don't think you're gonna find many who agree with you here, including myself. While I like Load and ReLoad, they aren't anywhere near the greatness of the first three, or even Justice or black album. That's not even bringing up the fact that St. Anger ranks as one of the worst albums ever by any band.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 pm

"doom on you, doom on you, DOOM ON YOU!!!"Bands that started off great BUT... 19976
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 pm

Venom.

Started off great with three classic albums and then began to suck more and more with each consecutive record. It's quite sad too, 'cuz if they had continued in that vein, maybe becoming more thrashy, they very well could have been THE metal band of the 80s.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Queensryche:(
Danzig
Def Leppard:(
Metallica
Guns n Roses
Pantera
Skid Row

I guess I have just accepted the fact that Queensryche and Def Leppard are not going to go back to sounding like they both did circa 1983. I still love both bands and own all of the stuff they have out there I just don't spin it anywhere near as much as the three albums from either band. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:46 pm

I forgot about KISS.

It was great ----->Dinasty...Unmasked and Peter is leaving...scratch (I like listening to those album but not in a shot.)

After Unmasked KISS is going fine. Music From The Elder is a great album. I don't know why people don't like it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 5:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:
DREAM THEATER
While I like DT, I just find all the post Kevin Moore albums to be exercises in technical wankery. You really have to want to like them to get into them. They are work to listen to. You have to give them spin after spin to enjoy them IMO. On the other hand I find Images and Words and Awake to be brilliant.

As much as I love DT and have for 15 years, I agree with you Ult, but I will twist it a little. It seems to me that they alternate great albums and smurf poo albums. I'm there the day it comes out and take it home and within a few listens I can tell if it's gonna be one that I throw on the player alot or hardly at all. I don't mind the technical wankery so much when it's a great song but when it's not it just seems like 12 minutes of noodling. Peace.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm

The Beatles. They had seven really good years of recordings together, but when is the new album coming out guys...jeez
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:44 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
The Beatles. They had seven really good years of recordings together, but when is the new album coming out guys...jeez

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:00 pm

spiritoradio wrote:

They were really great. I don't think that Yoko was the problem. Ringo,George,Paul and John were the problem.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Slayer! I just feel so betrayed by this band!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that started off great BUT...   Bands that started off great BUT... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that started off great BUT...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next