Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some More Of Me Singing

Go down 
+6
exact33
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
GrandNational
DallasBlack
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Some More Of Me Singing Empty
PostSubject: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Here are three songs requiring me to sing in three different ways. I do know that being in a band is the next step, but it may be a while til I can do that. In the mean time I want to find out which singing style I need to work on and which one I do best. The first is my Savatage/TSO voice on Handful Of Rain (I screwed up in one spot because I forgot to use my diaphram properly). This was my third and best take with this song. Next is Shadow Gallery-New World Order in what I think may be my weakest of singing voices but I need more than just my ears to judge it properly. Third is Saviour Machine-Rapture: The Seventh Seal. I personally believe my goth voice is my best, unfortunatly it doesn't translate easily into any metal style besides goth and maybe doom.

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm

My recommendation: stick to one vocal and metal style and try to develop that and maybe take some vocals lessons from a teacher nearby to help you if you really want to join/form a band.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Part of the reason I've posted these is to find out which voice style I do best so I can figure out which genre and style would be best for me. I also plan on getting vocal lessons once I have the income to do so. Unfortunatly, if I can't get a job soon, I'll have to become a trucker and my singing plans would be on hold for the forseable future.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:20 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Part of the reason I've posted these is to find out which voice style I do best so I can figure out which genre and style would be best for me. I also plan on getting vocal lessons once I have the income to do so. Unfortunatly, if I can't get a job soon, I'll have to become a trucker and my singing plans would be on hold for the forseable future.
You natural style is what's best for you.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:32 pm

LOL I just watched the Savatage one so far but I'm wondering is that a car bed?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:35 pm

lol! No, that's the toy box for my nephew when he comes to visit.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Right. So I'd say your natural tone is a lower register, like the beginning of "Handful of Rain." However, you lack control and are probably singing from your throat, not your gut. And once that song, for instance, kicked in, you just started shouting.

It wouldn't hurt to take lessons and learn to control your voice. And you're still singing with a British accent. Haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Right. So I'd say your natural tone is a lower register, like the beginning of "Handful of Rain." However, you lack control and are probably singing from your throat, not your gut. And once that song, for instance, kicked in, you just started shouting.

It wouldn't hurt to take lessons and learn to control your voice. And you're still singing with a British accent. Haha.

I agree. I only heard the Savatage and half of the Saviour Machine. The other wouldn't play here. (Stupid filters!) However, Eyesore's advice sounds like good advice to me. Have you heard the last couple of Jacob's Dream CDs? I bet that would be your style right there.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I agree. I only heard the Savatage and half of the Saviour Machine. The other wouldn't play here. (Stupid filters!) However, Eyesore's advice sounds like good advice to me. Have you heard the last couple of Jacob's Dream CDs? I bet that would be your style right there.

I have and I believe you are right. I just need to learn how to put more roughness in my voice, which I have yet to learn to do so without resorting to growling.

Eyesore, I believe you are right too and I will try another take on Handful Of Rain using my lower register. This time without the music because I have a habit of trying to match the tone of Zak.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore, I believe you are right too and I will try another take on Handful Of Rain using my lower register. This time without the music because I have a habit of trying to match the tone of Zak.
Well, that's typically what happens when you sing along to it. What you should aim to do is harmonize with Zak's voice, not sing like him.

And there's no need to try the song again in a lower register. You were singing in one. Your voice is unsteady, though, which is why I assume you're singing from your throat. That's probably why you shout, too; you're not using your diaphragm for control.

Lessons will help with that, though. It may not make you a great singer, but it will help you learn how to sing properly. Singing is way more complicated than most people think.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, thanks for the advice. I'll work more at controlling my voice and cut back on the shouting. I've always known I need some work (especially keeping my vocals hydrated-which might be contributing to my lack of control) I just needed some ears other than my own to evaluate me. Hopefully I can get a job that will keep me where I am and get me some lessons so I won't have to give up on any hope of fronting a band.

Hope none of you have been tortured too much having to hear all that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm

you are much braver than I, DB!!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 pm

exact33 wrote:

It's a dream of mine to front a band so I guess I have to be brave. I'll be braver once I can get myself to a kareokee bar by my self. So far I've been too timid to go alone (now it's also because of no money).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:15 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

It's a dream of mine to front a band so I guess I have to be brave. I'll be braver once I can get myself to a kareokee bar by my self. So far I've been too timid to go alone (now it's also because of no money).

i would only do it if I was the last person left on earth.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

i would only do it if I was the last person left on earth.

I would only do it if the only song I had to sing was Elton John's "Your Song". Somehow that song falls exactly in my range and I know all the words.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Lessons can help a lot. But what helps more is daily practice.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yeah, I definitly need to do that. I only practice about every 3 days. Of course unemployment has put me into a more lazy mood and I don't do a lot of things often enough. Another thing I need to do is hydrate better and drink water more often.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm

i strongly suggest you check out Jaime Vendera. Best teacher on the planet.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I completely agree.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Singing practice should be like going to the gym. Get in a standard routine, be consistent, and you'll see (or in this case, hear) results.

Also, talk to singers you admire about what they did to improve their technique. Shawn here is a great singer and I've talked to him. I've also had these kinds of conversations with Ski (DEADLY BLESSING, FAITH FACTOR), Bruce Hall (AGENT STEEL), and Bill Carter (SCREAMER). If you wanna know how to do something in life, find those who have already done it and ask them how it is done! Don't be intimidated to talk shop with people who are better than you. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Also, join a band, any band, where you will have to regularly be around people and perform, even if just in a rehearsal room. Nothing will you motivate you more than the threat of embarassment. Otherwise, there will always be something else you'd rather do than practice scales/songs, especially in the beginning when you're gonna be struggling to stay in key or have any power. It's very frustrating at first until you can make some basic progress and it's very important to keep motivate to get over the initial hurdles.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 2:20 pm

I appreciate the kind words, man...thanks.

PostSubject: Re: Some More Of Me Singing   Some More Of Me Singing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some More Of Me Singing
Page 1 of 1