Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?

Go down 
+24
bass63
James B.
nevermore
DeathCult
mlotek
ze_mau
Runicen
exact33
SAHB Healer
MoonChild
Thrasher73
ultmetal
corplhicks
thejokeriv
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
MetallicSeminarian
Witchfinder
glassprison
Boris2008
mc666
tohostudios
chewie
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Scorpions (Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_lcap75%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_rcap
 75% [ 30 ]
Whitesnake (Slide It In(U.S. version), 1987, Slip Of The Tongue)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_lcap10%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Y&T (Earthshaker, Black Tiger, Mean Streak)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_lcap3%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Aerosmith (Permanent Vacation, Pump, Get A Grip)
Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_lcap12%Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Empty
PostSubject: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 6:48 pm

I thought of this while I was on my way home from work today while listening to a comp tape I made with Scorpions Lovedrive thru Blackout on it. Those three albums were a new sound for them.... A transition from their 70s sound to an 80s sound. It got me thinking of some other bands. Opinions?

Last edited by chewie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Close call between Scorps and Whitesnake but I went with Scorpions

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Out of those listed I chose the Scorps. However, I would include Priest with Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, & Stained Class as my #1 pick.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:09 pm

For me, Its' a tough call between The Scorpions and Y&T. The Scorps went from their killer 70s sound to their 80s metallic sound. Y&T dropped the Zeppelin influence and went completely heavy metal. Both created their own sounds, you definitely will not confuse those two with any other band.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..................
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Scorps! Those three albums were massive childhood favorites for me. I got into the early period a bit later.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Whitesnake!

I like those Scorpions albums, but I prefer even later albums from them.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 pm

mc666 wrote:
Out of those listed I chose the Scorps. However, I would include Priest with Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, & Stained Class as my #1 pick.
I knew I was forgetting someone!

It has to be a trio of consecutive albums. That JP trio wouldn't work in this case. For them it would have to be something like British Steel, Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance. I believe British Steel is when they started their new "Heavy Metal for the 1980s" sound.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Even though i prefer the two that precede them, even I think Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave should be up there (and I'm pretty sure they would win, although I'd stick with The Scorpions)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

chewie wrote:
mc666 wrote:

It has to be a trio of consecutive albums. That JP trio wouldn't work in this case. For them it would have to be something like British Steel, Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance. I believe British Steel is when they started their new "Heavy Metal for the 1980s" sound.

The question is kind of confusing. Those were a trio of albums, that sounded similar in style & production but very different from the album they started with. That also sounded different than most bands at that time.

Well, no matter. The three you picked are just as valid in their own way.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Y&T for me. Followed closely by Scorpions and then Whitesnake. Aerosmith is a distant fourth - although I still like those albums.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Scorps! Those three albums were massive childhood favorites for me. I got into the early period a bit later.

That's how I feel about the Scorps and Y&T! I played the heck out of those albums!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 pm

mc666 wrote:
chewie wrote:
mc666 wrote:

The question is kind of confusing. Those were a trio of albums, that sounded similar in style & production but very different from the album they started with. That also sounded different than most bands at that time.

Well, no matter. The three you picked are just as valid in their own way.

Yea, I really should have worded that better! Smile I guess it was when they went from their 70s sound the their 80s sound. I just think that it is cool that each band managed to have their own unique sound, but that part really isn't a qualifier, just an observation.

I re-worded it. Hopefully it makes better sense now. Sorry, I've been up since 5am so my thinker is kinda tired Smile
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Gotta go with Whitesnake, but Aerosmith is dang close and the Scorps aren't too far behind, either.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Th?id=HN.608054471820184223&pid=15

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 pm

I voted for Scorpions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:14 pm

From that list, I would go with Scorpions. Those three albums are all fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Scorps for me. Those 3 are classics and for me that's where they became an important band. I have little to no interest in what came before them.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Guess I'll be the odd man out voting for Aerosmith (which I can't right now on my tablet for some strange reason).
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Guess I'll be the odd man out voting for Aerosmith (which I can't right now on my tablet for some strange reason).

I almost voted for them. I love all Aerosmith.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I didn't nearly vote for them due to my love of those Scorps records but i do like that era of Aerosmith.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Though Aerosmith is one of my all time favorite bands, I went with The Scorpions. Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism and Blackout are some of the best heavy metal albums ever.

The three Aerosmith albums listed are good, but I would not put them on the same level as their classic 70's through early 1980's material. Same with Whitesnake. Good albums but I prefer their early material.

Y&T would be a close second behind The Scorpions in this poll.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 2:36 am

Went with the Scorps
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 am

I votes both Scorpions (#1) and Aerosmith (#2)
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 5:05 am

Here's how I narrowed it down:

First Y&T albums I hear were live and blew me away. When I heard the studio cuts, I was underwhelmed. They're good, but I'm just too connected with them as a live band.

I'm a bigger fan of the Scorp's sound before their more commercial era. Again, good stuff, but I have a much deeper connection with, say, Taken by Force and Virgin Killer.

Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue is terrible. I can't stand that album. Vai sounds way out of place and the songs are weirdly uneven. Tongue and s/t are brilliant, though, although I hate the mix on the s/t.

Aerosmith? Those three albums are just as important to me as their earlier work, and have been close friends since I first discovered them as a kid. I'll never forget wearing those three cassettes down and quoting Eat the Rich for my Drama class. They may have not been the raw heavy boogie of their earlier work, but they still rock and have never grown old, no matter how polished they may be.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 am

I'd have to say that the late Ozzy (Tecn Ech & Never Say Die) to Dio ( H & H + Mob)  was the best transition to the 80s, but that was only over a 4 album period. The next "Deep Sabbath" albums (Gillan, Hughes) were great too, but not really as coherent a transition per se.
I gotta say that Priest's transition from the late 70's to the 80's was a major step down, even though that's when they got popular then. Stained Class was their last great album. Their 80's albums rocked, yeh, but in context, meh, not as much. The late 70's albums were really revolutionary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound?   Which older band had the best trio of albums with their new sound? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next