Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!

Go down 
+13
The_Jayroh
Stender
jstate
manny
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
holydiver97595
Metallic Blaze
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Empty
PostSubject: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:40 am

OMG, I went to FYE tonight in the Phoenix area for the first time. I can't believe how much better it is than the one in Albuquerque!!! They have a HUGE metal section with EVERYTHING! I've never seen a store this cool since I lived in Minnesota! Man, I left out there with a huge haul of 13 new cds!!!
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:47 am

Nice!! Too bad I live all the way over in Illinois Razz If I'm ever around Phoenix, I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

There literally wasnt anything I couldn't find! They even had rare imported stuff!

And people are saying that CD stores are going away. There will always be a demand for physical product. Digital music is not owning music. Plain and simple.

The metal section alone was almost as big as the whole "Rock" section was at Hastings in Rio Rancho where I used to live. I just wasn't expecting this treat tonight!

The prices were also very good.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Glad to hear that. My parents live in Chandler, so I might have to remember that the next time we visit.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm

When I was in Phoenix last year I stopped at a Zia Records on Thunderbird Rd and picked up a nice haul there. It was awesome ! Not one store in my area (Pittsburgh) comes even close) although I will say that my 2 closest FYEs are the best. Maybe Phoenix just has a cool and better all around metal community. I know next time I'm out that way I'll be shopping there again.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Enjoy it while you can. That whole chain is bound to go belly up sooner or later. They closed a bunch of stores @ the end of last year (including the one closest to me...SIGH) so they're probably circling the drain.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Mine are still both open (just bought Destruction and Death Angel's newest releases there for $9.99 a piece). I saw no signs of them closing (at least not yet)
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm

I got 3 open here that I know of...all have decent Metal sections...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:24 pm

There are better stores in Phoenix for metal bro. Wait till you check out one of the many ZIA RECORDS. Also, REVOLVER RECORDS in Phoenix is great for both vinyl and CDs.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Go to Metal Devastation out in Phoenix. Its ALL METAL!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

The "metal" sections in the 3 local FYE's I venture to are for sh*t. Lousy selection and terrible prices.

The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm

The only record store I know of in town is a local operation; he has a large amount of albums, and quite a few artists, but the selection is never very good. Like, he has around 10 copies of Metallica's black album, but only compilations of Dio and very rarely any power metal whatsoever (aside from Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Stratovarius, which are fairly standard, as you all know).
I should really venture to Chicago... it's only an hour away by train. I don't know of any good record stores there, though; anyone know a few?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 pm

The two that were here locally have been closed, but their selection and prices for the most part sucked balls
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

The manager at my local FYE claimed that the ones that stayed open had re-negotiated their leases. The malls that wouldn't do so they simply closed those locations. For my local one it basically gave them another year.... but after that?

One thing I've noticed (and it's no surprise) is the drastic cut in inventory. The music racks used to be so packed you couldn't flip through them. Today I'd say the stock barely took up half the shelving.

They are currently having a buy one get the second for 50% off sale on used. If you can find anything it's not a bad deal. They also had a bunch of new releases for 9.99. Was tempted on the new Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:37 am

Lurideath wrote:

I tried to go out to this place when we were out there but the place was closed when I went to it.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:42 am

Im not sure if Oregon is hip to F.Y.E or not, ive never seen one anywhere here.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am

ultmetal wrote:
There are better stores in Phoenix for metal bro. Wait till you check out one of the many ZIA RECORDS. Also, REVOLVER RECORDS in Phoenix is great for both vinyl and CDs.

Lurideath wrote:

I'll keep all 3 of those places in mind next time I go shopping! Thanks guys! Ult, have you been to the Zia Records in Tempe and Chandler - or just Pheonix. Those two are closer to where I live.

LONG LIVE ACTUAL CDS!!!

wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! 778825 wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! 778825 wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! 778825 wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! 778825 wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! 778825
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 am

The F.Y.E's metal section in here in Huntsville, AL is full of terrible nu-metal, metalcore, death metal, and grindcore bands. It's not hard to pick the good stuff out of the pile, but it usually is priced at $15+. I'll stick with eBay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:06 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:
The F.Y.E's metal section in here in Huntsville, AL is full of terrible nu-metal, metalcore, death metal, and grindcore bands. It's not hard to pick the good stuff out of the pile, but it usually is priced at $15+. I'll stick with eBay.

wow that sounds horrible!

It's amazing how the same chain can be so different in different areas.

I think what it is - is that each area store is a reflection of the community at large and the demand any particular community places on the store. I mean, Phoenix is a pretty 'metal' city I think. You have Rob Halford and Alice Cooper living here. Not to mention the countless other metal bands that call Phoenix home (Flotsam and Jetsam, Sacred Reich, etc etc). So there is a major demand for metal here, and the local stores reflect that demand.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 6:30 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

wow that sounds horrible!

It's amazing how the same chain can be so different in different areas.

I think what it is - is that each area store is a reflection of the community at large and the demand any particular community places on the store. I mean, Phoenix is a pretty 'metal' city I think. You have Rob Halford and Alice Cooper living here. Not to mention the countless other metal bands that call Phoenix home (Flotsam and Jetsam, Sacred Reich, etc etc). So there is a major demand for metal here, and the local stores reflect that demand.

That actually did make me realize that 3/4 of the people around here who actually listen to metal are:

1. Scene kids (The majority of which live in the neighboring city of Madison. There's lots of families with money there, which seem to spawn lots of scene kids for whatever reason.)

2. Metallica fanatics (they are always anti-Megadeth)

I fall into a third category of people who just like something good to listen to. I don't care about image. I just care about the quality of music. F. Y. E. is just like any other retail store. They can't put something on the racks they can't sell. That's probably why there is a continuous sale on all of the metal albums they do have. I over exaggerated how bad it truthfully is, because I made it sound a lot like Hot Topic. The prices I did not however.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 6:36 pm

RIght now the top music store in my area of CT is FYE

I saw a bunch of stuff I wanted course no money to spend to get it all
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 2:21 am

Addy wrote:
RIght now the top music store in my area of CT is FYE

I saw a bunch of stuff I wanted course no money to spend to get it all

Hey Addy, you never know. At my FYE there were TONS of CDs for just $1 a piece! I picked up all kinds of goodies! Give em a try and you might be surprised at the deals you find.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 5:32 am

I've found some gems in FYE as well. I've seen Metal Church, Nuclear Assault, and some other cool less-well-known stuff. But their prices are insane. 20 dollars for a copy of Ride the Lightning? Pass...
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Wow the prices here seem totally fair. It's not in the mall though, which might be why.

Those malls charge an arm and a leg for being located in them. So the retailers have to jack the price to make ends meet.

The FYE by me is a stand alone. It's HUGE. About three times bigger than their mall stores ... maybe 4 or 5 actually.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah there are two in Huntsville, which are both in malls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!   wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wow the F.Y.E. in Phoenix!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next