Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing Sound Levels on MP3s

Go down 
+5
SpectreFate
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
Wurthless
Witchfinder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7610

Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Empty
PostSubject: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Does anybody know how to adjust the sound levels of MP3s? Some of the older albums that I rip are much lower in volume than newer discs. Is there a program that can bump up the volume?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:22 pm

I've wondered about that myself, but all I do is turn the song up louder when it comes on!
lol!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:10 pm

YEP and its the best $30 you'll ever spend too. Its called IVolume. http://www.mani.de/en/ivolume/index.html
Theres the website. Its extremely easy to use with Itunes. All you have to do is put all your mp3's in the library and then turn the IVolume program on and hit start and it will adjust all the songs to the same volume. You can also adjust it to how loud you want it to be. I use it every day when I upload stuff to my ipod.

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:58 pm

iTunes already has that feature built in. It's called "Soundcheck" and it's in the Preferences menu. All you have to do is activate it and it will scan your library and add the volume information to the tags.

and it's free.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
YEP and its the best $30 you'll ever spend too. Its called IVolume. http://www.mani.de/en/ivolume/index.html
Theres the website. Its extremely easy to use with Itunes. All you have to do is put all your mp3's in the library and then turn the IVolume program on and hit start and it will adjust all the songs to the same volume. You can also adjust it to how loud you want it to be. I use it every day when I upload stuff to my ipod.

Thank you sir!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:06 pm

detuned wrote:
iTunes already has that feature built in. It's called "Soundcheck" and it's in the Preferences menu. All you have to do is activate it and it will scan your library and add the volume information to the tags.

and it's free.

In my experience, Soundcheck forces the levels down to the lowest volume level of the various mp3s in a library and that's the opposite of what I want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:21 pm

That's because it's trying to preserve the quality of the music. Other programs that force the quieter tracks louder, they have to compress them to keep them from clipping, thus reducing the dynamic range of the music.

Soundcheck finds the middle ground between the loudest track and the quietest track and shoots for that.

Anyway, mp3's are already compressed too much for me, so I try to stay away from anything that's going to make that worse.

It's all a matter of taste really.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Yea once you put songs to MP3 it doesn't really matter what you do to them because the sound isn't the same anymore. Soundcheck does work but you have more control over the volume that you actually want. Most of the time soundcheck just picks the lowest volume too.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:43 pm

detuned wrote:
That's because it's trying to preserve the quality of the music. Other programs that force the quieter tracks louder, they have to compress them to keep them from clipping, thus reducing the dynamic range of the music.

Soundcheck finds the middle ground between the loudest track and the quietest track and shoots for that.

Anyway, mp3's are already compressed too much for me, so I try to stay away from anything that's going to make that worse.

It's all a matter of taste really.

Aha! Well that makes sense now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Since storage has become so affordable, I've sworn off lossy formats like .mp3 entirely.

I'm re-ripping my collection in Apple Lossless (.M4a) format. Since my computer is hooked up directly to my stereo, I see no reason to listen to lossy file formats any longer.

CD mastering these days is bad enough as it is! lol!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 12:45 am

detuned wrote:
Since storage has become so affordable, I've sworn off lossy formats like .mp3 entirely.

I'm re-ripping my collection in Apple Lossless (.M4a) format. Since my computer is hooked up directly to my stereo, I see no reason to listen to lossy file formats any longer.

CD mastering these days is bad enough as it is! lol!

What bitrate is that? Is it more like a Flac file?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:16 am

It's basically the same exact thing as flac, only the file extension is different. FLAC stands for "Free lossless audio codec", Apple calls their files ALAC "Apple lossless audio codec".

The reason I went with the Apple version is because it's compatible with iTunes on both the Mac and Windows platforms (it's essentially a Quicktime file). FLAC files still haven't been integrated into most players and portable devices.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 5:14 am

Save your $30.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:55 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Save your $30.

I downloaded that one too. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:41 am

detuned wrote:

Yep,thats what Im using too.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
detuned wrote:

Yep,thats what Im using too.

I will be doing that once I-pods are up to 1TB
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:49 am

I believe iTunes now has the capability to leave the song on the computer in lossless format, but will create a lossy copy when transferring to the iPod. I seem to remember reading that somewhere in a technical blog.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:18 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Save your $30.

Where were you like 3 years ago when I spent that $30? Oh well I still like what I use

Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 pm

What advice do you have for Zune users like me? And Don't say "Buy an Ipod" I don't like 'em...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 3:47 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
What advice do you have for Zune users like me? And Don't say "Buy an Ipod" I don't like 'em...

Your screwed...... better buy an Ipod!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

Your screwed...... better buy an Ipod!
NO!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Changing Sound Levels on MP3s 505193
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:49 pm

WOW Dallas! Who is that redhead???????? rawr.......

Never mind, I saw her name mentioned in another post. Simone Simons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing Sound Levels on MP3s   Changing Sound Levels on MP3s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing Sound Levels on MP3s
Page 1 of 1