Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Official ANVIL thread

Go down 
+17
Lurideath
Spiner202
Nico
Andy
Sole Survivor
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Metal Misfit
Witchfinder
James B.
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
speed101
A Handful of Wayne
Wargod
ultmetal
thejokeriv
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:49 am

Still waiting on my pre-order to come in. I used the "free" shipping, so I suppose it will take much longer than those that paid for the expedited shipping.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:37 pm

My autographed copy and t-shirt arrived yesterday! \m/

Listening to it at low volumes at work. Will crank it up on the way home in the car. Sounds good though! Sounds like ANVIL! headbanger

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
My autographed copy and t-shirt arrived yesterday! \m/

Listening to it at low volumes at work. Will crank it up on the way home in the car. Sounds good though! Sounds like ANVIL! headbanger

It's a great album - I like it better than This Is 13
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I got my bundle pack last fri and have been cranking it at full volume. The best Anvil since their first couple this is classic Anvil.

Hey Ult did you get the Anvil single?

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 10:18 am

Wargod48 wrote:

Hey Ult did you get the Anvil single?

Got it. Thanks. headbanger

Still waitin' on the patches to arrive. They are suppose to ship to us this Friday.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Got my JUGGERNAUT OF JUSTICE in today's mail. Can't wait to give it a spin!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm digging it.

Got it and the latest Annihilator (finally! thanks Vexer6) and Exciter all around the same time. Three of Canada's best have all been dominating my CD player. That would be one heck of a concert bill

Anvil
Annihilator
Exciter
and opening up the show, of course,
Ultimatum headbanger Very Happy

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

Gave JUGGERNAUT OF JUSTICE its first spin on the way here this morning. Short review... me likee. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

So I pre-ordered the autographed bundle of Juggernaut of Justice. Since it's never enough to buy an album just once, how will they get us fanatics to buy it a second time?

JUGGERNAUT OF JUSTICE (The End Records - 2011) SPECIAL EDITION

Produced by Bob Marlette
Juggernaut Of Justice
When Hell Breaks Loose
New Orleans Voo Doo
On Fire
Fuken Eh!
Turn It Up
This Ride
Not Afraid
Conspiracy
Running
Paranormal
Swing Thing
The Station (Exclusive Edition only)
Tonight Is Coming (Exclusive Edition only)
Ricochet (bonus track)

Then on crappy iTunes:
What I Want To Be (on iTunes version only)

WHAT THE HECK? I HATE THAT CRAP! The real fans have purchased the album already, so let's screw 'em and hold back some songs.

I'd rather have them release these four songs on an EP or something rather than ANOTHER edition of the album I just bought.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Booooo. That figures, I just got my copy yesterday. Very Happy But hey, it's the nature of the beast to pull this crap nowadays, I guess. Though usually they wait till the original version has been out for a while before they dump a 'Special Edition' on us... sheesh.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:19 pm

For that matter, they could have released one of those extra songs on the pre-release single that they were selling. None of those tracks were exclusive.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Listened to the new album today and it smokes. The highlight is the awesome guitar solos which had me bringing out the air guitar (only at stoplights, too dangerous while driving).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 pm

I just saw today the film "Anvil! The story of Anvil".

Great film - and it introduced me a new band. I had never heard of them before.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:
I just saw today the film "Anvil! The story of Anvil".

Great film - and it introduced me a new band. I had never heard of them before.

Awesome. They are one of my favorites. headbanger

Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 6:13 pm

They seem to be an evidence of a great band that have a long career but who suffer of a lack of decent label / promotional support.

Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 am

Hugely mediocre band. A trio of classics in the 80's, everything until Juggernaut is sub-par crap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 am

You know, I found the later Anvil material that I've heard to be rather weak, but after hearing you guys say so many positive things about Juggernaut I should probably give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:28 am

Andy wrote:
Hugely mediocre band. A trio of classics in the 80's, everything until Juggernaut is sub-par crap.

Hogwash! Strength of Steel, Plenty of Power, Speed of Sound, Still Going Strong are all great albums if you like Anvil's sound/style.

Most people, I suspect, just have never given these albums a listen.

How can anyone who claims to love those early Anvil albums listen to songs like "White Rhino", "Paper General" or "Plenty of Power" and say it's "sub-par" compared to their early catalog?

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Definitely agreed about those last 3, especially Speed of Sound and Plenty of Power. The music doesn't have to blow me away like Metal on Metal to be worth listening to. Those albums are just filled with good tunes.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Spiner202 wrote:
Definitely agreed about those last 3, especially Speed of Sound and Plenty of Power. The music doesn't have to blow me away like Metal on Metal to be worth listening to. Those albums are just filled with good tunes.

Listening to "Still Going Strong" today and it's an excellent album IMO. Was never a fan of the song "Holy Wood", but that's mostly due to the lyrics than the music. "Waiting" is cheesy as well. Otherwise, songs like the title track, "Race Against Time" and "White Rhino" are fantastic.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Hogwash! Strength of Steel, Plenty of Power, Speed of Sound, Still Going Strong are all great albums if you like Anvil's sound/style.

Don't forget "Pound for Pound!"

"BLOOD...ON THE IIIIIIIICE!"

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm

This new Anvil album is AWESOME! That song Swing Thing really kicks a lot of ass too! They are playing here in Vegas on Halloween night and I'll be there!
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I think it's more then normal that Anvil never got big. Weak songs, childisch lyrics etc etc. It's not the fault of labels etc. The music is just not good enough...
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Listening to "Still Going Strong" today and it's an excellent album IMO. Was never a fan of the song "Holy Wood", but that's mostly due to the lyrics than the music. "Waiting" is cheesy as well. Otherwise, songs like the title track, "Race Against Time" and "White Rhino" are fantastic.
What about "Plugged In Permanent"? I think you should re-review that one.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

What about "Plugged In Permanent"? I think you should re-review that one.

OK. cheers

PostSubject: Re: The Official ANVIL thread   The Official ANVIL thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official ANVIL thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next