Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..

Go down 
+19
Jesusandmetal23
bassman
Shawn Of Fire
ryanmetalman
GrandNational
STIGMATADOR
Troublezone
DallasBlack
325ad
FlyingV
Stender
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Temple of Blood
jstate
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Olafsto
mlotek
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Empty
PostSubject: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 am

Wanted, Christian metal bands that sound like

Heathen, Blind Illusion, early 1970s KISS, Black Sabbath (Ozzy/Dio/Gillan eras), Led Zeppelin, Kreator, Razor

I used to get some Christian metal zines/mags years ago, but gave them away to someone who I thought was a friend and would let me look through them again when I needed to get info.
Nope, as years go by, he doesn't even return phone calls, ever, so that's a lesson.

EDIT:
If there is a reference site you know of that can help, then sorry to start this topic
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 am

None of the so called christian metal bands i have heard, sounds like any of those bands you listed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 am

Check out Disaffection for a similar sound to Kreator.
Temple of Blood sounds a bit like Heathen.
Also check out The Sacrificed
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 am

Not that they are even remotely a Sabbath clone, but for a great, moody doom band, check out PLACE OF SKULLS! Their most recent "As A Dog Returns" is outstanding.

Pÿlon

For thrash, Disaffection & Temple of Blood are a good recommendations. I'd also suggest
The MOSHKETEERS - The Downward Spiral

b]ULTIMATUM[/b]
http://www.myspace.com/ultimatummetal

BELIEVER

GRAVE FORSAKEN - Fight to Death

THRESHER - Here I Am

TOURNIQUET - Stop the Bleeding or Psycho Surgery

DETRITUS - Perpetual Defiance

There is a great reference site for Christian metal. Check out:
http://www.firestreamvault.com/

And to purchase CDs, I recommend:
http://www.divinemetaldistro.com/

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

Though more of a Christian perspective than straight-up Christian bands, I'd recommend any Count Raven or Trouble.

For thrashier Christian metal you can't go wrong with Fifth Angel or Opprobrium.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

BLIND ILLUSION/HEATHEN/KREATOR:

You should check out my band TEMPLE OF BLOOD
http://www.myspace.com/templeofblood
http://www.templeofblood.net
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:54 am

Quote :
early 1970s KISS

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/warriorrock

MANY, MANY people love this band, and their singer is a helluva guy.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

jstate wrote:
Though more of a Christian perspective than straight-up Christian bands, I'd recommend any Count Raven or Trouble.

For thrashier Christian metal you can't go wrong with Fifth Angel or Opprobrium.

Fifth Angel????

I think you meant Seventh Angel:

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am

Quote :

early 1970s KISS

Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. 201269
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
early 1970s KISS

This is the guy who threatened to sue Tom Warrior of Celtic Frost for using the word "Warrior" in his stage name, right? What a toolbox.

On topic, the '80s band "Messiah" (recently reissued by Retroactive Records - hooray for unintentional alliteration!) claimed to be "inspired by the classic sounds of Alice Cooper, KISS and Black Sabbath" but truthfully they sounded more like Blue Oyster Cult to me than any of those guys.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:01 pm

if you like the guitar tone and vocals of blind illusion you may like bloody cross, their album is ultra hard to find though.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Quote :
I think you meant Seventh Angel

For some reason I can never stop doing that. I'm pretty certain on my ipod both are under the wrong name too. Though IMO both are great for entirely different reasons.

Seventh Angel brings the thrash, Fifth Angel the melodic rock.

And yeah, I had to read that sentence several times to see if I didn't confuse the names again.
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Check out Last Chapter: http://www.myspace.com/lastchap
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 pm

No one has mentioned Stairway, Seventh Avenue, or Haven. You would probably like them as well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Nobody mentioned Theocracy?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Quote :

Wanted, Christian metal bands that sound like

Heathen, Blind Illusion, early 1970s KISS, Black Sabbath (Ozzy/Dio/Gillan eras), Led Zeppelin, Kreator, Razor

I don't think any Christian bands sound like those... But like ult mentioned, Place of Skulls is the closest you will get to Sabbath in the Christian market
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks for all the bands mentioned. Much appreciated. I have heard of many, but a few are totally new to me.

I have some of them on cd, (like THRESHER's cd , & most of Ultimatum's cd's Very Happy , though haven't bought all the re-issues with bonus tracks, but grabbed some merch like a hat I wear all the time and shirt. Good quality if anybody is thinking about wearing their stuff)

Some bands I forgot what they sound like but see their name around a bit , like Temple Of Blood, so will try them again.
One thing I like about a band like that, is they don't crank out a lot of albums, which to me usually means they only release quality.

Place of Skulls is one I will definitely look for.
As much as I grew up on thrash metal and liked hardcore, I'd rather be listening to bands that have an organic 70s type sound like on Greg Minier's APPLEHEAD LP.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Quote :
One thing I like about a band like that, is they don't crank out a lot of albums, which to me usually means they only release quality.

My thought as well. Smile Hopefully you will enjoy our stuff.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 pm

I will be ordering TEMPLE OF BLOOD cd's soon humble
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

mlotek wrote:
I will be ordering TEMPLE OF BLOOD cd's soon humble

Great!
Back to top Go down
STIGMATADOR
Metal novice
Metal novice
STIGMATADOR

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 2:26 am

Vengeance Rising's debut might satisfy some of your Kreator cravings. It was recently reissued. I have mixed feelings about the reissue. I had been working with Roger to try to get all four albums reissued for a couple of years, to no avail. I also worked as VR's publicist, ran their website/forum, etc. I still talk to Rog on occasion, but the whole thing just left me sort of burnt out and depressed for a while. But that's another rant.

As far as Sabbath, I would also recommend Count Raven and David Benson. Maybe also try Sleep or Stillborn? There was also Troglodyte Dawn. Truthfully, I think you'll find a lot of the stoner bands have a God fixation or consider themselves Christians. Hell, some would even say that Black Sabbath themselves wrote the first "Christian metal" (or at least "pro-God") song with "After Forever" (though I'm personally not even going to touch that one). The point is, not everyone is "churched" or has a particular conscience about the drug thing. I mean, if you're looking for more of a traditional Evangelical view, stick with Benson's stuff or Trog Dawn. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

)+(
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 am

STIGMATADOR wrote:
Truthfully, I think you'll find a lot of the stoner bands have a God fixation or consider themselves Christians.

Stoner/Doom metal is the perfect soundtrack for Christian mysticism and imagery. I think the weed helps too Razz

I wouldn't classify this band as Christian, but I really dig them and their lyrics are quasi-Christian:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:27 am

Quote :
Hell, some would even say that Black Sabbath themselves wrote the first "Christian metal" (or at least "pro-God") song with "After Forever" (though I'm personally not even going to touch that one). The point is, not everyone is "churched" or has a particular conscience about the drug thing. I mean, if you're looking for more of a traditional Evangelical view, stick with Benson's stuff or Trog Dawn. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

Trouble's first two records have a strong Catholic or Lutheran type religious angle as well...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 am

Stig Speaks! Show up more often dude!

I suck at comparisons, but some good Christian/Spiritual metal bands, that have not been mentioned, that I dig are:

Burnt Fase
Sacrament
Betrayal
Crucifer
Kreyson

As far as Sabbath, check out: Goliath
and if ya like AC/DC: X-Sinner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Did anyone mention The Crucified's, Pillars of Humanity album?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..   Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanted, recommendations of Christian metal bands that sound like..
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next