Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getcha Rocks Off

Go down 
+7
kmorg
MetalGuy71
manny
exact33
mc666
GrandNational
Eyesore
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 am

First, some background.

Quote :
Getcha Rocks Off has been many things—and, pretty much, nothing at all.

Originally, it was going to be a website were I discussed my personal
music collection. Then I decided to turn it into a traditional music
review site, with reviews, commentary, a staff of writers, and so forth.
Cut to a few years later and...well, neither happened. I had other
ideas along the way as well, but none of them stuck with me. And now
I've come full circle.

Getcha Rocks Off is once again a site dedicated to my personal
collection. Nothing more than my opinions on albums I own. There will be
no downloads, no discussion on downloaded music or albums not in my
collection. Most posts will lack the depth of a real review, though some
will be longer and more detailed, and others will actually be reviews I
wrote for other publications long ago.

But here's fair warning: My collection consists of a wide range of
styles, from folk to rap to death metal and many others in between and
beyond. I like a lot of different styles of music.

Hopefully you can dig it.

K. Allen Wood
November 15, 2010
The website is http://www.getcharocksoff.com. Check it out. I'm tweaking the format for the reviews, trying to find the something I dig. Will have that sorted soon.

Anyway, I hope to continuously add reviews on albums from my collection, similar to Scott's and Kurt's sites, plus the odd editorial now and then. I have time for that. Sadly, I don't have time for my grandiose plans for a serious webzine.

"But wait. You haven't written a damn thing for the Def Leppard discography thread in months! How the hell are you going to write reviews for your bazillion albums?"

Good point. Problem with the Def Leppard thread is that, I can just say WAY TOO MUCH about that band! Finding that kind of time is hard.

"But why not just write a little bit here and there, until you have a full post on an album?"

Oh. You mean, like saving, the whole "pennies add up" approach. Hmmm...so simple, so obvious. I should try that. Why didn't I think of that before?

"Because you're a dummy."

Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:27 am

Looking forward to see how it turns out. Good luck...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 am

i wondered when you'd get around to giving this a serious go. some good reading there so far (liked the Juliette Lewis review). will be an interesting read for sure.

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 am

that is cool Ken!

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am

I am looking forward to reading your blog, you are excellent writer
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 am

mc666 wrote:
i wondered when you'd get around to giving this a serious go. some good reading there so far (liked the Juliette Lewis review). will be an interesting read for sure.
I think too much. That's the problem. I saw a radio show and a Getcha Rocks Off award show hosted by Martha Quinn and Nina Blackwood, and ladies, ladies, ladies, all lined up for a spin on my ding dong.

But alas, I had to simplify.

Should I do weekly updates, or just update as I go and then do one bi-weekly/monthly post with links to the previous updates?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 am

Neat-o. I'm always looking for something interesting to distract me from work.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:47 am

Looking forard to updates in the Def Leppard thread Very Happy

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 pm

I give it 3 weeks til you change your mind again. lol! just kidding good luck i'll be checking in. I've wanted to do stuff like this too but I always start it and never finish it. Then theres also something in my head that says no one gives a smurf poo but me so I just give up. I'm a horrible writer too, but your good at that stuff so good luck.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
I think too much. That's the problem. I saw a radio show and a Getcha Rocks Off award show hosted by Martha Quinn and Nina Blackwood, and ladies, ladies, ladies, all lined up for a spin on my ding dong.

But alas, I had to simplify.

Should I do weekly updates, or just update as I go and then do one bi-weekly/monthly post with links to the previous updates?
bi-monthly would probably be easier for you & easier for regular readers to scope out the new stuff imo.

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 1:46 pm

I think your a dummy until you update the Def Leppard thread. Getcha Rocks Off 778825
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am

You may have changed its format numerous times, but at least you actually started a site. I've been thinking of doing a music/movie blog of my own for ages now (I even have a name in mind already: "It Came From The Bargain Bin"), but since I have the attention span of a fruit fly, I've never actually gotten off my duff and done it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
You may have changed its format numerous times, but at least you actually started a site. I've been thinking of doing a music/movie blog of my own for ages now (I even have a name in mind already: "It Came From The Bargain Bin"), but since I have the attention span of a fruit fly, I've never actually gotten off my duff and done it.
It's a lot of fun, but nearly impossible to do unless you get organized. That's my problem. Haha. Hopefully that's changed.

Love that title, though. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 am

Eyesore wrote:

It's a lot of fun, but nearly impossible to do unless you get organized. That's my problem. Haha. Hopefully that's changed.

Love that title, though. Haha.

I hear ya. Organized? I have two kids. There's no such thing as "organized" in my house. The only thing in my life that's organized is my CD collection and that's only cuz they're in a locked cabinet. Laughing

Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to get that blog started. Hell, it'd be more fun than trying to lose weight or quit tobacco (again).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 am

I have thought of starting a blog, inspired by Metal Misfit's review blog and few others, but my writing skills are not up to par to keep with a site like that and also my lack of time.

I just having been treating FaceBook as my music blog and daily music video posting. Which reminds me I really should get a life.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 am

You don't need to be a great writer for those kinds of sites, though.
Back to top Go down

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Perfectly titled website for your world, K!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Looks good Ken, looking forward to see it get increasingly filled out.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Added a few old ones, slightly updated. Probably not so interesting since they're older albums.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 6:41 am

With your vast collection, I'm looking forward to checking it out. I alway thought of doing something like that myself (though I only have about 1200 CDs) but I'm just too lazy for that.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Getcha Rocks Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getcha Rocks Off   Getcha Rocks Off Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getcha Rocks Off
Page 1 of 1