Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle

Go down 
+8
Leatherface
Required Fields
Alex Dee Rokket
Thrasher73
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
sheets
mc666
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Empty
PostSubject: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:48 am

here 'tis:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:1087014

Quite a few interesting tidbits of information in this article that I didn't know previously.

I like this section:

AC: Slayer's playing Seasons in the Abyss on this tour. How does it sound 20 years later?

TA: It's an amazing album. I think all of our albums are amazing after all these years. Even Show No Mercy. People ask if we ever think of going back and re-recording the older stuff. No. "How 'bout remixing?" Nope. They're really great records for their time, and it's a statement of the time. Why ruin that?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Tom is a smart guy. i always enjoy reading his interviews.

sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Quote :
There was a time when none of my stuff was being used at all, as far as creativeness and lyrics for music and song. When I won the Grammy, that was the first song that I had written on my own. It was kind of a vindication for me. After that, on this last record, I contributed quite a bit [laughs].

Heh. I have found that the albums with more input from him are my favorites Smile
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Seems like a cool guy...

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I had no idea he lived in Palistine, thats like less than an hour away. I ride the bike through there all the time!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Tom always seems cool.I agree with his take on the re-issues and remixes.Why mess with a part of history?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:30 pm

I loved that interview. Araya's interviews seem so in depth compared to Kerry's - I know Kerry gives a lot of interviews but many of them are stock. However I found it interesting reading about the differences between Tom's songwriting style and that of Kerry and Jeff. It seems that Tom doesn't quite see eye-to-eye with Kerry when it comes to writing songs, and appears to be more comfortable writing with Jeff.

I also found interesting how Tom doesn't seem to like GHUA whereas Kerry when you read his interviews is all over that album and considers it one of Slayer's best - perhaps it is because he did a lot of the songwriting for that album.

Honestly, I couldn't stand GHUA when it was first released but the album has grown on me over the years. In fact all of Slayer's 90s albums have grown on me in time and my experiences with nearly all of their post-Seasons albums has been the same: didn't like it at first but started liking it more later on.

Really cool interview.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Very cool interview!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18914

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Never read a bad interview with him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 1:18 am

Cool guy. Was shocked to learn he's a Catholic Smile
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 pm

The interview Doug Van Pelt did for HM with Tom Araya in the So and So says was pretty darn good as well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 pm

You know, it's funny how so often we (me, at least) tend to not see metal band members as real, regular people and we want to put them into a certain box or label them as this or that (the members themselves; not the music). Interviews like this one totally destroy that. I really enjoyed reading it, and thanks for posting it.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 8:14 pm

It's hard to not like a guy like Tom. He always gives a great interview.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 8:23 pm

The most interesting part to me was about the songwriting breakdown.

Hanneman & Araya work together and Tom helps out with melodic ideas. Kerry has a "hands off" approach to the songs he writes, thus Tom interprets them as Kerry wishes. So an album like God Hates Us All (which was primarily King) is more visceral in approach and the singing style is more yelling.

But an album like "Diablous In Musica" was primarily a Hanneman record, so I'm betting Tom had more input on that one.

Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm

You have to give these guys credit for tolerating each other's egos this long. I've read in interviews past where Tom says that they write the songs and record and tour, and that's it, they then go their separate ways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle   Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom Araya - excellent interview in the Austin Chronicle
Page 1 of 1