Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Empty
PostSubject: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:50 pm

This cd came out with the latest issue of metal hammer mag.

Very interesting, with great performances from Zakk Wylde, Machine head, Biohazard, Avenged sevenfold and many more.

Check it out Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell 11840
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Man, I've heard some of these tunes and I think the Biohazard track is horrible. And I love Biohazard! Avenged Sevenfold just irritate me anyway, so I can't dig that. Especially with such a crap singer.

From what I remember, Sylosis did the best cover. Locky has mailed this to me, so we'll see...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Sylosis's cover is indeed the best. Anyways, i'm not gonna complain. It's just a free cd Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:59 pm

True enough. I'll have a stronger opinion once I listen a few more times.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

I don't have the latest issue of Metal Hammer yet. It shall be mine soon though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:10 am

*jumps* The nearest store opens at 7am that gives me 50mins! epppp!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:11 am

ChaliceOfFemmeMetal wrote:
*jumps* The nearest store opens at 7am that gives me 50mins! epppp!!

Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell 11840
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:32 pm

So I got this yesterday (thanks, Locky!). I like some songs, but most are rather lifeless, which is the downfall of many cover songs.

Zakk's version of "Suicide Note Part 1" is excellent; sounds like a song he would have written. The cover has a soul, you know. Great stuff.

Machine Head's cover of "F*cking Hostile" is cool but way too closed in. There's no real bleed, you know, so it sounds far too sterile. It's good, but the production makes it suffer. Plus the guitar tone is off a bit.

"Cemetery Gates," by Evile, is cool musically, but the dude's voice isn't that great. And the high-pitched wails at the end are buried in the mix. A good thing, too, because was off-key. But it's a decent cover.

Five Finger Death Punch make an attempt at changing up "A New Level," but it doesn't sound good with the vocals.

Biohazard should flat out be ashamed of their "Mouth For War" cover. It's ATROCIOUS! Evan even sings "Hold you mouth for the war." Not surprising they'd mess up the lyrics because it sounds like the first listened to the song five minutes before they recorded it on a 30-year-old boom box. Terrible.

Sylosis does a brilliant cover of "Strength Beyond Strength," but it's actually so good that it's almost pointless. It just sounds so much like the original that there's really no need for it. The same can be said about Throwdown's cover of "Becoming."

While I think Sylosis did the best cover, Kiuas did the most unique and it's easily my favorite. They really change it up, making it their own. Aside from the chorus, it sounds very little like the original. The solo is more bluesy, the verses are more eerie. They even mix in part of "Strength Beyond Strength" and, I believe, the end of "Domination." A very cool version.

The rest are mediocre at best.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Next time I'm around Mardel, I'll see if they have the issue with this.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell   Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excellent tribute cd to Dimebag Darell
Page 1 of 1