Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cartoon thread

Go down 
+14
ryanmetalman
jstate
thejokeriv
chewie
sheets
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
manny
tohostudios
exact33
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Joe
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Speaking of the Flintstones, I think it was Freddy that posted these bizzare TV ads on FB of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble smoking and selling cigarettes
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:29 pm

I liked The Flintstones until they jumped the shark with The Great Gazoo.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:48 pm

manny wrote:
Speaking of the Flintstones, I think it was Freddy that posted these bizzare TV ads on FB of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble smoking and selling cigarettes

Yup, Fred and the Flintstone gang pimped for Winston cigarettes (who sponsored the Flintstones at that time) in several commercials in the early 60s. Here's a Youtube video of three of 'em:

and one more:

Pretty freaky to look at this now, but when the Flintstones first appeared, it wasn't necessarily a "kids" show. It aired during Prime Time and was aimed at an adult audience (much like Family Guy and The Simpsons are today). In those days, "commercials" showing the stars of various shows using the sponsor's product were common. (YouTube also has several clips of the "Beverly Hillbillies" gang tokin' up on Winston cigs.)

Of course, cigarette commercials of any kind were banned from TV and radio in 1971.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Check this out, Fred and Barney pimped Busch Beer too! (Have they no shame?) This is from a late 60s promotional film commissioned by Anheuser Busch for in-house use:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

I have now gained a new respect for Fred and Barney. You show me some clips of them smokin' the sweet leaf and I would have these guys over for dinner!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Speed Racer!!!!!!!

nice! I liked speed racer.

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:28 pm

These certainly aren't classics, but I loved them anyway. Beavis and Butthead!

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Joe wrote:
These certainly aren't classics, but I loved them anyway. Beavis and Butthead!

That BnB "No Laughing" is classic!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Speed Racer!!!!!!!

nice! I liked speed racer.

I read the other day that the guy that did the American-ized voices of Speed Racer and Racer X just died a week or so ago.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:56 am

Awesome thread. To this day, I love the Looney Tunes (Merry Melodies ext.). I don't think anything will ever top them...not even Disney, though they had some great shorts also.

I also enjoyed Scooby Doo. There were various series of that one. Or was it just changes from season to season. They had a series where they met different celebrities. They had Don Knotts, Batman and Robin, and the Harlem Globetrotters.

I also liked Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. I never saw the live action movie they did though.

Here are some more recent cartoons I really like:

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I was also into the Planet of the Apes big time so I made sure to catch this every Saturday for the short time it ran (a year or so I think).

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

007 wrote:
I only caught Johhny Quest on occasion but it was a great cartoon. Always been a dinosaur lover so this was another favorite of mine :

Wow, I don't remember that one at all but that looks like something I would love. When was that cartoon aired?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:08 pm

How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbhiolw-9Fk

I always loved Zok.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:
I only caught Johhny Quest on occasion but it was a great cartoon. Always been a dinosaur lover so this was another favorite of mine :

Wow, I don't remember that one at all but that looks like something I would love. When was that cartoon aired?

According to wikipedia,it ran from 1974 - 1976. Granted it was almost exactly like Land of the Lost but I still loved it. I even got a puzzle of it for Christmas back then.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm

007 wrote:
I was also into the Planet of the Apes big time so I made sure to catch this every Saturday for the short time it ran (a year or so I think).

Now that one I remember. I also remember the live action series that was just about as shortlived.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Anybody else dig the original Jonny Quest?

Yeah, I've got the dvd set Smile

I always loved that it was one of the few cartoons in which people actually got killed regularly. One of my favorite scenes is Race squashing a bunch of goons by landing a speed boat on top of them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm

sheets wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Anybody else dig the original Jonny Quest?

Yeah, I've got the dvd set Smile

I always loved that it was one of the few cartoons in which people actually got killed regularly. One of my favorite scenes is Race squashing a bunch of goons by landing a speed boat on top of them.

I've thought about getting that set myself. I also loved the robotic spider epidsode.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

I remember "Jonny Quest" and "Valley of the Dinosaurs" but not the "Apes" toon. But then I was never much of an "Apes" fan as a kid. I remember seeing one of the movies on TV way back when and being totally creeped out by the apes. Laughing very hard "Jonny Quest" still turns up on Boomerang once in awhile.

Speaking of which, right now my kids are watching something called "2 Stupid Dogs" on Boomerang. It's silly but fun. There's a recurring character (don't know his name) whose catch phrase in every episode, when he sees the dogs do something stupid, is "Awww...ain't that cute? (Pause) BUT IT'S WRONNNNG!"... cracks the kids up every time. I don't get it but it's funny to hear my 3 year old imitate that guy. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:36 pm

tohostudios wrote:
How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbhiolw-9Fk

I always loved Zok.

My fave was Igoo the Ape
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cartoon thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next