Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cartoon thread

Go down 
+14
ryanmetalman
jstate
thejokeriv
chewie
sheets
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
manny
tohostudios
exact33
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Joe
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:38 pm

I was talking with my brother last night about some of our favorite cartoons when we were kids. I figured it would be a cool thread to start. I'm talking about Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry and other stuff like that. Here's a couple of my favorites

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 2:45 pm

I LOVE classic cartoons! Always have, always will. I am continually trying to expose my kids to "the good stuff" to counteract all the damn Spongebog and Fairly Oddparents stuff they watch on Nickelodeon. Laughing

I'm a bit of a cartoon snob. I grew up watching the old Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry/etc., and I still believe that to this very day, nothing in the field of animation has ever equaled the cartoons of the 40s and 50s... Laughing

One Froggy Evening:

Duck Amuck:

Though i was mainly a Looney Tunes fan, MGM (makers of Tom & Jerry) did some pretty great stuff too; in particular, anything by former Warner Bros. animator Tex Avery (who was lured away to MGM in the early 40s) is pretty much pure gold.

"Red Hot Riding Hood"

"The Cat that Hated People"

I also love Max & Dave Fleischer's series of "Superman" shorts from the early 40s. The animation on these still holds up pretty damn well today I'd say.

"The Mechanical Monsters"

"Bilion Dollar Limited"

"The Arctic Giant"

(Hey Toho... ever seen this one? I swear that the scenes of the dinosaur rampaging thru the city were a likely influence on the Godzilla films.)

The "Superman" series consisted of 17 total cartoons released between 1941-43. Since then they've fallen into the Public Domain and can be found on a variety of budget-price DVDs. I picked up the entire series on 3 DVDs at a dollar store a couple of years ago, and the print quality was fantastic.

I could go on all day but you get the idea.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:21 pm

I love Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Pink Panther!!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:37 pm

I am big Taz fan. I also like looney tunes, pink panther, scooby doo (up until sCrappy came along).

My fav animation shows are Robotech, Macross, GI Joe, Transformers, Starblazers, Battle of the Planets.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I LOVE classic cartoons! Always have, always will. I am continually trying to expose my kids to "the good stuff" to counteract all the damn Spongebog and Fairly Oddparents stuff they watch on Nickelodeon. Laughing

I'm a bit of a cartoon snob. I grew up watching the old Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry/etc., and I still believe that to this very day, nothing in the field of animation has ever equaled the cartoons of the 40s and 50s... Laughing

One Froggy Evening:

"Hello my baby, hello my honey...hello my ragtime gaaaaal...."

I love Looney Tunes. I've bought every 4 disc set Warner Bros has released every fall (up to 6 volumes now). It's amazing to see these cartoons restored to full color. I always thought the episode where Bugs singlehandedly beats the Gashouse Gorillas was a black and white cartoon because I'd only ever seen the washed out version.

"That's what the man said; he said that! That's what the man said..."

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39584

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. The crap today does not compare to the classics at all.Bugs Bunny was my Saturday morning cornerstone my entire childhood.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Here's some more!

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 am

Looney Tunes is still funny and love it, these guys were true artists.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 am

I use to love watching Bugs Bunny.He's still my all time favorite.Also liked Tom and Jerry,Woody Woodpecker,and Popeye.

Out of the newer cartoons I like Family Guy,South Park,and Spongebob.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:49 am

I don't mind "SpongeBob" in small doses. However, between Nickelodeon and its sister channel NickToons, I swear that he seems to be on 16 hours a day and I can only handle it for so long before it becomes irritating. My kids will watch the same ones over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER if we let'em!!!

Lately my older boy has thankfully discovered "Boomerang" and he seems to be getting a kick out of the oldies on that channel like Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, etc., etc. -- man, that station is a trip. Cartoon Network basically started it as a place to air all the old Hanna-Barbera stuff in their vaults when the regular Cartoon Network's schedule started turning more towards their own original programming. Now when you put on Boomerang you're likely to catch stuff that hasn't seen daylight in 20+ years. My wife and I call it "Cartoons that Time Forgot."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:40 am

Some examples of the "Cartoons that Time Forgot" ... many of which prove that cocaine must've been rampant in the writer's rooms at Hanna-Barbera Studios in the 70s.

The Robonic Stooges

Imagine the pitch meeting for this series. "Everyone loves the classic comedy stylings of the Three Stooges, but how can we update them and make them relevant for the kids of today's swingin' 70s?? I KNOW! We'll turn them into a trio of bionic superheroes! BRILLIANT!"

"The Super Globetrotters"

Thankfully, whenever basketball-themed evil threatens Planet Earth, we have the Harlem Globetrotters to protect us! Thrill to the action as the Globetrotters race to their magic lockers and emerge as heavily Afro'd superheroes!

"DynoMutt, Dog Wonder"

Bumbling superpowered pooch who played sidekick to the long-suffering superhero Blue Falcon. "He's a Go-Go Dog Person!" The Cartoon thread 201269

"The Funky Phantom"

Variation on the Scooby-Doo formula, with a trio of mystery-solving teens and a Colonial era ghost in Scooby's place.

"The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan"

Ahhhhh so! Famed Chinese movie detective Charlie Chan solves mysteries aided by his ten (!) kids. The kids also played in a band so they performed an awful song in nearly every episode.

Again, I could go on and on but you get the idea. Hanna-Barbera was a factory by this time. They made'em quick, they made'em cheap, and they seemingly threw any ridiculous idea against the wall just to see which ones would stick.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 am

Quote :
The Robonic Stooges

Imagine the pitch meeting for this series. "Everyone loves the classic comedy stylings of the Three Stooges, but how can we update them and make them relevant for the kids of today's swingin' 70s?? I KNOW! We'll turn them into a trio of bionic superheroes! BRILLIANT!"

When I visited The Stoogeum, amongst the many, many Stooge related items, there were also many framed cells from this cartoon hanging on the walls in the art section.

http://www.stoogeum.com/

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Again, I could go on and on but you get the idea. Hanna-Barbera was a factory by this time. They made'em quick, they made'em cheap, and they seemingly threw any ridiculous idea against the wall just to see which ones would stick.

And they made KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, which really is just a HB cartoon in live action.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

"Kill Da Wabbbiiiittttt!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Time to show some Popeye love. I love when he talks under his breath, funny stuff!:

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

I love those old Popeye cartoons classics, I think the peps at Max Fleschier also created those original Popeye shorts for the 30's and 40's.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:58 pm

manny wrote:
I love those old Popeye cartoons classics, I think the peps at Max Fleschier also created those original Popeye shorts for the 30's and 40's.

Yep, they did. They're also famous for the "Betty Boop" shorts and those "Superman" toons I posted a few entries ago.

Joe wrote:
I love when he talks under his breath,

Wiki sez that the reason Popeye "talks under his breath" so much in those early shorts is cuz the guy who did his voice would never stick to the script and was constantly ad-libbing stuff. Since the animation was done before the voice recording back then, (it's done the other way around nowadays) Popeye's voice rarely, if ever, matched the movements of his mouth onscreen.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Speed Racer!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes!! Speed Racer was a great one, too!!

I was so dissappointed when the Matrix brothers made that a live action movie.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Joe wrote:

Wiki sez that the reason Popeye "talks under his breath" so much in those early shorts is cuz the guy who did his voice would never stick to the script and was constantly ad-libbing stuff. Since the animation was done before the voice recording back then, (it's done the other way around nowadays) Popeye's voice rarely, if ever, matched the movements of his mouth onscreen.

Interesting

I'm glad he did that, because some of the ad-libs were his best lines!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Max Flesicher's studios are great, as FF mentioned those Superman cartoons fell into public domain and like him I got a cheap copy for like a dollar, an excellent print.

Also warner bros/ DC Comics included these cartoons on 'Superman The Movie (4 disc special edition) DVD set.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:05 pm

manny wrote:
Max Flesicher's studios are great, as FF mentioned those Superman cartoons fell into public domain and like him I got a cheap copy for like a dollar, an excellent print.

I actually have my son to thank for finding those Superman toon DVDs. When he was about four he went thru a superhero period and Superman was his favorite. He found those DVDs in the dollar store and was like "Can I have'em Dad? Can I have'em?" ... I was skeptical at first cuz I'd had a cheap VHS compilation of those same toons back in the 80s and the quality was terrible (dark, scratchy, colors were wishy-washy, etc.) so I was like "Are you SURE you want these? Daddy's seen'em before and they kinda sucked," haha. But I figured what the hell, it was only a buck, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they looked when we got the DVD home. So either the company that put those DVDs out (Digiview Entertainment) were lucky enough to get ahold of some decent quality prints, or they sprung for a remastering on 'em. Either way, we went back to the store the next day and got the other 2 Superman DVDs on the shelf so we'd have the entire collection of 17 toons. My son's fave is "Billion Dollar Limited" (which I youTubed earlier), since he loves trains too. He mustve made me play that one about a hundred times. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Joe wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Joe wrote:

Interesting

I'm glad he did that, because some of the ad-libs were his best lines!

He says some funny smurf poo under his breath. I love the old Popeye toons.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:17 pm

My daughter who is now 9 went thru a super hero phase (thanks to her daddy Smile ) when she was 5 and 6, and we bought the Challenge of the Super Friends boxset, and the less said about them the better, best lines came from Lex Luthor:

" Too late to stop us you super fools'

Everyweek they (The Legion of Doom) would try to conquere the world and of course the Super Friends would stop their evil plans. Used to love these cartoons when I was her age and it was funny watching them but man are they dated and the storylines where most definitley aimed at very small children.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

I'll share in the love of Popeye. I love all things Popeye not just the cartoons.

I was also a big Flintstones guy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Cartoon thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cartoon thread   The Cartoon thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cartoon thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: