Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hanoi Rocks any good?

Go down 
+7
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Shiney
Fat Freddy
manny
thejokeriv
fingers
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Hanoi Rocks any good? Empty
PostSubject: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 am

Heard the name a few times and I heard rumours that they are like the Rolling Stones of glam.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 am

Vince Neil's favorite band.......
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:31 am

I am actually a huge fan and this guys where huge influence on the hair/pop metal of the 80's and sleeze rock that is still going strong, if you donot like these genres fingers, then this band will not be your cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 am

When he started GnR, Axl Rose wanted them to be Hanoi Rocks sooooo bad. He even borrowed/stole his look in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video from Michael Monroe.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am

love love LOVE HANOI ROCKS.

It's a fantastic mixture of STONES/SWEET...swagger and pomp....

Just buy their stuff already!!!>!!!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 am

I actually like Michael Monroe's solo stuff better than Hanoi Rocks. His "Not Fakin' It" album is a glam classic IMO.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:29 am

tohostudios wrote:
I actually like Michael Monroe's solo stuff better than Hanoi Rocks. His "Not Fakin' It" album is a glam classic IMO.

I used to have a cassette single (!! remember those??) of this song off of that album... good stuff (note the Axl Rose guest appearance)... never got round to getting the album though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
When he started GnR, Axl Rose wanted them to be Hanoi Rocks sooooo bad. He even borrowed/stole his look in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video from Michael Monroe.

You got that right. I have a photo book of GnR and their early press photos are very Hanoi-inspired, especially Izzy. Seeing Slash trying to pull-off the "glam" look (lipstick, eyeshadow and fishnet gloves) was frightening.

As for the band, I like 'em. When GnR first came onto the scene, a old friend of mine gave me a comp tape of Hanoi and I really liked it. At the time, their albums were kinda hard to come by. There were all imports. If I remember correctly the album Two Steps From The Move was their big label, American distrubution album that was gonna make 'em big stars. Axl eventually got Geffen to release most of their back catalog on the Uzi Suicide label. Those are the cd's I have.

I haven't followed them much in the later years, but those older albums are classic glammy/sleazy fun. I'd say these guys were ahead of the whole glam expolsion of the Sunset Strip by about 5 years.

Self Destruction Blues is probably my favorite, although as far as album titles go, Bangkok Shakes, Saigon Shakes and Hanoi Rocks wins hands down. Good album, great title.

I had Michael Monroe's Not Fakin' It on tape years ago, but never upgraded to cd.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I used to have a cassette single (!! remember those??) of this song off of that album... good stuff (note the Axl Rose guest appearance)... never got round to getting the album though.

I could be mistaken, but if memory serves me correctly, Axl doesn't appear on the album Not Fakin' It, but he showed up on the set the day they filmed the video for 'Dead Jail or Rock n' Roll' and was only in the video.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am

And I may add that nearly every band associated with members of HANOI ROCKS are good....DEMOLITION 23, JERUSALEM SLIM, JETBOY, CHERRY BOMBZ, SUICIDE TWINS...the solo works....all of it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am

Can't speak for those others Shiney speaks of, but I'd 2nd that Jetboy recommendation. Damned Nation is excellent!!

Hanoi Rocks any good? Jetboydamnednation

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 am

JERUSALEM SLIM is MICHAEL MONROE and STEVE STEVENS....what more do you need to know? Hanoi Rocks any good? 11840

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am

Shiney wrote:
JERUSALEM SLIM is MICHAEL MONROE and STEVE STEVENS....what more do you need to know? Hanoi Rocks any good? 11840

Cliffy posted one of his remaster jobs here for a Jerusalem Slim album and I took a listen. It wasn't bad, but I'm just not into the glam/sleaze stuff anymore.

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/metal-market-f6/jerusalem-slim-attitude-adjustmentthe-demos-steinhaus-remaster-t12639.htm?highlight=jerusalem+slim

Had I heard it 10 years ago, maybe. But most of that stuff didn't age well for me. The bands that I held onto is more of a nostalgia trip. If I want new music, I'm looking for thrash or stoner/retro stuff these days.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I could be mistaken, but if memory serves me correctly, Axl doesn't appear on the album Not Fakin' It, but he showed up on the set the day they filmed the video for 'Dead Jail or Rock n' Roll' and was only in the video.

I believe you're right. Axl is only in the video for the song, he doesn't perform on the actual track.
I would imagine they figured sticking Axl in the video would guarantee major MTV play and help Mike get a quick ride to the top of the charts. Obviously it didn't quite work out that way.
Damn good song though.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Back To Mystery City would be my favorite of theirs. It's the only one that I like all the way through. The others are good but just tend to have some weaker moments for me.

Not Fakin' It would easily have a place in my top ten all time. Such a great album and really at the time should've made Monroe a star. How is it possible that a song like "Man With No Eyes" wasn't played to death on the radio. Record company really screwed up on that one.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shiney wrote:

Cliffy posted one of his remaster jobs here for a Jerusalem Slim album and I took a listen. It wasn't bad, but I'm just not into the glam/sleaze stuff anymore.

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/metal-market-f6/jerusalem-slim-attitude-adjustmentthe-demos-steinhaus-remaster-t12639.htm?highlight=jerusalem+slim

Had I heard it 10 years ago, maybe. But most of that stuff didn't age well for me. The bands that I held onto is more of a nostalgia trip. If I want new music, I'm looking for thrash or stoner/retro stuff these days.

I just checked this out and I like it..... I never liked Hanoi Rocks or that Not Fakin' It album. Steve Stevens Jams, though Hanoi Rocks any good? 778825
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I don't know any Hanoi Rocks at all. I do know Michael Monroe's song posted above and always liked it.I'd like to check it all eventually but as the saying goes,Too many bands not enough money.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 am

The Rolling Stones chewing bubblegum with the Damned on a street corner shivering in the cold through cigarette smoke trying to score with the Shangri-Las, feet firmly planted in the gutter with eyes fixed to the stars. The most beautiful f*ckups rock n' roll ever saw..........
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm

rattpoison, you use your mouth prettier than a $20 wh*re.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
rattpoison, you use your mouth prettier than a $20 wh*re.

Thank you MG, that's quite a compliment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hanoi Rocks any good?   Hanoi Rocks any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hanoi Rocks any good?
Page 1 of 1