Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?

Go down 
+15
AchrisK
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
kmorg
Fat Freddy
sovdat
Smindas
Temple of Blood
mc666
arttieTHE1manparty
Required Fields
SideShowDisaSter
thejokeriv
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Empty
PostSubject: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Personally, I don't expect much from their next album. I'd be happy with a Load/Reload-styled album (because I think those two are great!). But then I see their setlist from their opening show on their new tour:

Quote :
01. Creeping Death
02. For Whom The Bell Tolls
03. Ride The Lightning
04. Disposable Heroes
05. The Unforgiven
06. ...And Justice For All
07. The Memory Remains
08. The Four Horsemen
09. Orion
10. Fade To Black
11. Master Of Puppets
12. Battery
- - - -
13. Sad But True
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. One
16. Enter Sandman
- - - -
17. Am I Evil?
18. Seek And Destroy

Now that's got me curious. One song each from Load and Reload, and nothing from St. Anger! Has this band seen the light, so to speak? Or are they just playing songs people want to hear? What are the chances of Metallica—taking into account their age, their distancing from traditional metal over the years, Lars' gayness, Kirk's gayness, etc.—pulling off the upset and releasing a killer metal album?

(Please, there's a few Metalli-bash threads out there already; if you want to talk trash, bump one of those.)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 10:27 pm

You never know. I am hoping they will release another great album.

Kiss did it with "Creatures of the Night". After diddling around with
lighter fare and disappointing their fans, they came back with one of
their best albums. If Kiss can do it, why not Metallica?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 10:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
You never know. I am hoping they will release another great album.

Kiss did it with "Creatures of the Night". After diddling around with
lighter fare and disappointing their fans, they came back with one of
their best albums. If Kiss can do it, why not Metallica?

Agreed - I hope Metallica puts out a great album with the next release. I saw some the video from youtube of the concert - James has put the down tuned les paul away and is playing his old explorers
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 pm

I just don't think Metallica has another one in them. If they do, hey great. But I seriously doubt it (maybe being negative about it will mean MAJOR shock if they do come out with another zinger).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 11:24 pm

The chances of that happening are as likely as me getting a three-way with Michelle Trachtenberg and Rachel McAdams.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 11:32 pm

This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pS5rODQ2ao

Someone covered that new Load/Reload-ish Metallica song. Sounds pretty cool in a studio version (albeit low quality). The vocals are kind of weak, but still, this cover gives that live version much more potential (though it supposedly won't be on the new album).
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2007 11:58 pm

I think the chances of them shocking the world with a return to metal are actually pretty good. I mean, think about it...no one expects it, and Metallica has always claimed to like to do what no one expects. Plus, no one in the metal community "expects" anything anyway.

I'm guardedly optimistic.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 12:18 am

i wouldn't count them out of anything. i look forward to the new one!

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 3:12 am

They played good setlists before and covered Mercyful Fate before they recorded St. Anger. So?

I put it at < 5%.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 4:51 am

...that's a pretty awesome set list actually. The inclusion of And Justice for All and Am I Evil make it killer.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 5:40 am

Well, the set lists are always killer. They played entire Master of
Puppets last year, and in 2003, they played only old stuff + Frantic
& St. Anger. They had almost the same set list in 2004, with some
Re(Load) stuff in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 5:44 am

Metallica played a new song in The Netherlands last year... they had no vocals yet, so it was an (almost) 9-minute instrumental song which did not convince me at all. It sounded like Load/Re-load mixed up with St. Anger and it had some very annoying groovy parts.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 8:26 am

Required Fields wrote:
The chances of that happening are as likely as me getting a three-way with Michelle Trachtenberg and Rachel McAdams.

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah, the new songs thay have played live so far has not made my hopes grow.

I like everything they've put out, besides St.Anger. So I donæt think they'll do me wrong.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 12:53 pm

sovdat wrote:
Well, the set lists are always killer. They played entire Master of
Puppets last year, and in 2003, they played only old stuff + Frantic
& St. Anger. They had almost the same set list in 2004, with some
Re(Load) stuff in.
Yeah, I caught them last year when they did the entire of Puppets. Still, it's the inclusion of ...And Justice For All that makes it for me.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Laughing very hard lol!

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 pm

I would Love to see another masterpiece or at least a tenth of MOP would be keller, but the chances are pretty slim. then again, look at bands like Kreator who released a few masterworks in the 80s, releaseed slower, not as astounding, but still had their moment albums in the 90s, and came back with two of the greatest masterpieces of thrash ever in "Violent Revolution and "Enemy of God" Metallica would be a slightly more drastic shift, but it can be done.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:18 pm

Required Fields wrote:
your inability to score has nothing to do with Metallica. Razz

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:18 pm

I think we'll get raw production (not "bad" production) mixed with tighter, shorter songs (compared to St. Anger) out of Rick Rubin....could be good.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 8:50 am

i hope for a good production (but not pop)

live at least the band are on fine form as showm last year

i mean this year they played an justice for all for the first time in 18 years so things have got to be looking up
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 am

I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Would I like to see them return to form? Absoulutly!! But I figure if I keep my expectations low, less chance of being disappointed.

It's funny how the band is slowly starting to distance themselves from St. Anger in interviews after having to defend it for so long. Give it another year or 2 and they'll be saying "Yea, I don't know what we were thinking with that one!" Smile

Last edited by on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xr8TmH5Eg

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 11:21 am

Eyesore wrote:

(Please, there's a few Metalli-bash threads out there already; if you want to talk trash, bump one of those.)

darn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 11:35 am

mc666 wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
your inability to score has nothing to do with Metallica. Razz
Well, he could be as gay as Kirk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 11:36 am

AchrisK wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

darn
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?   What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Are The Chances Of Metallica Shocking Us All?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: