Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?

Go down 
+23
holydiver97595
the sentinel
fingers
Ford.Prefect
FlyingV
SAHB Healer
MetalRob331
ultmetal
GrandNational
mc666
Ultimate.Nightmare
Fat Freddy
Jesusandmetal23
manny
Addy
Metal Misfit
tohostudios
rattpoison
Troublezone
Eyesore
Schbopo
Orion Crystal Ice
Metallic Blaze
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Empty
PostSubject: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I certainly don't include Disturbed in the same category as the nu metal bands. K0rn, Limp Biscuit, etc. Disturbed is different from them.

However, I was having a conversation with a local friend recently - and he told me that he considered Disturbed to be a 'metal' band. Just like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden - or anyone else along these lines.

He also classifies bands like K0rn, Limp Biscuit, etc - to be nu metal. But he goes as far as to think that Disturbed is an actual metal band.

So ... I was wondering. What do you think?

Personally, I'm a fan of Disturbed. I've picked up every one of their albums. I've seen them live two times. They are a great band.

But .... I honestly just don't see them as a metal band. Sure they have metal and hard rock elements. Heck, they even have solos on their newer stuff.

But to me - Disturbed is an alternative metal band. Not a true metal or hard rock band. They are a hybrid. Not actual metal - or hard rock.

I'm not starting this thread to argue, but just to have a discussion about this.

So ... what's your take?

Also, are you a fan of the band?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

No. Definitely more what you said instead. But this thread will probably turn the same the rest of the like-minded threads do so enjoy it while it lasts. Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Maybe not just straight up "metal", but definitely some form of it. Their early stuff is kind of nu metal-y, while their last two albums have a more alternative feel. Love the band though, no matter what you call em.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm

No way Disturbed are a true metal band. Is your friend really suggesting that?

Now, there's no reason they can't join the "metal" table; they just can't sit near the dudes wearing leather and bullet belts.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Maybe not just straight up "metal", but definitely some form of it. Their early stuff is kind of nu metal-y, while their last two albums have a more alternative feel. Love the band though, no matter what you call em.

I totally agree.

Their first two are more nu metal.

Their last two are more alternative metal.

Thanks for confirming this. As I was starting to think I was just 'missing' something.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
No way Disturbed are a true metal band. Is your friend really suggesting that?

Now, there's no reason they can't join the "metal" table; they just can't sit near the dudes wearing leather and bullet belts.

I agree. Yes, he's a very cool person - and usually I agree with him on most things.

But I just could not believe he saw Disturbed as an actual 'metal' band. I didn't argue with him. But I certainly don't agree.

Last edited by Metallic Blaze on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 pm

I consider them a form of metal... Not pure but nonetheless metal.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I consider them a form of metal... Not pure but nonetheless metal.

Same here.

But to call them a traditional metal band to me is just a stretch.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm

What the feck is a "Traditional Metal" band?
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:26 pm

rattpoison wrote:
What the feck is a "Traditional Metal" band?

Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, etc.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

It was more a rhetorical question.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

They are "metallish" IMO. I have no problem with seating Disturbed at the "kiddie's Metal Table". Hell, I might even grant them a seat at the "Big Boy's Metal Table".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Disturbed doesn't even consider themselves metal. I once read an interview with David Draiman where he said he doesn't want the band labeled as metal and considers the group to be hard rock.

The first album is nu-metal, IMO. I never bothered with them after that, but I've heard they keep getting better and better.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

I really dont care how youd classify them I think that it does has its place but too much emphasis IMO, having said that, No I am not a fan but my eldest stepson loves them
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

To me, "hard rock" is AC/DC, Rolling Stones, U2, and newer bands like Buckcherry and Beautiful Creatures, etc.

By that standard, Disturbed is much more metal. Disagree with my standard if you want but that's how I see it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I consider Disturbed a metal band not like Judas Priest but a metal band.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm

manny wrote:

Id pick disturbed over Judas Priest any day of the week
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Addy wrote:
manny wrote:

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Addy wrote:
manny wrote:

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_eek

X100
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:12 pm

You guys must not pay attention much cuz I Can't stand Judas Priest x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
To me, "hard rock" is AC/DC, Rolling Stones, U2, and newer bands like Buckcherry and Beautiful Creatures, etc.

By that standard, Disturbed is much more metal. Disagree with my standard if you want but that's how I see it.

Yeah, but there has to be some way to classify the huge glut of the samey-sounding grunge influenced stuff that is all over any 'modern rock' station you turn on nowadays. I hear all the bands using these huge metal distortion settings....and for what? Open chords under the goateed singer while all cymbals are hit at once...Much ado about nothing.........and Disturbed does retain some of that sound in many ways although they are now more streamlined and melodic, guitarwise.....which is really the main reason why you could put the 'alterna-metal' tag on some of their stuff..............I guess we could call things like that nu-hard rock? It was actually bothering me the other day. I wanted to really find out where all of it has came from. Different people could say Creed, Nirvana, and "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain", maybe it's a mix of all three....hm.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Did he actually use the term "traditional"? If he did, then he probably hasn't listened to much traditional metal. Or did he just call them a "metal" band?

You brought up Iron Maiden and Saxon. Is Necrophagist a metal band? Yes. Do they sound at all like Saxon? No.

Yes, Disturbed are a metal band. Just like Tool and SOAD are metal bands, so is Disturbed. They are alternative metal. That is a form of metal, even though it sounds almost nothing like Maiden or Saxon.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 pm

but Necrophagist has a lot more in common with the more 'adult' feelings and aspects of the other bands, the seriousness and intensity, and obviously the instrumentation is more in tune with the guitar being proficient both in presence and technique...and the instrumentation being tight...I mean, that's not to say that metal bands can't swing, metal bands can swing, but when you swing too much, it just naturally loses the militant feel that heavy metal of all forms back to the beginning is known for, it starts to roll more than it rocks, and a lot of those alterna metal bands do that as well as eschew the guitar needed to effectively link backwards...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Don't know enough about Disturbed to make the call one way or the other. What little I've heard from'em doesn't float my boat one iota though, for whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Ultimate.Nightmare
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ultimate.Nightmare

Number of posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am

In a word, No. But then again I hate Disturbed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next