Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death N Roll

Go down 
+6
troublemagnet
mc666
Rogue Angel
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
Metallic Blaze
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Anyone here into this subgenre of death metal? It started in the early 90s in Sweden and really has grown to be quite large in and of itself. Many people credit Entombed with starting it.

A lot of people who aren't really into the extremity of traditional death metal like this because it mixes elements of classic rock in with the mix.

Anyway who is your favorite death n roll band(s)?

Mine is easily Helltrain. These guys just freekin' rule!!!

Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:17 pm

I like it more than regular death metal, that's for darn sure.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I like how it captures some blues and even mixes in 70s instruments. Helltrain uses an organ which IMO really smokes in the mix.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 5:47 pm

I have Millennium Ride by Vermin. They do the death n' roll thing. Kinda cool, but ultimatley the vocals turned me off. Wasn't something that I would listen to on a regular basis and it wound up in the trade/sell list. Been sitting there for quite some time too. Apparently noone else likes Vermin either.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Rogue Angel

Number of posts : 35

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 11:58 pm

The Entombed material up until Serpents Saints was great. I love Entombed but this last album was cheese devil pandering cliche'd bullshite. Give me Wolverine Blues, To Ride...Uprising, Morning Star even Same Difference. THis last disc was shitty, even the production sucked. I think they spent all their kroner on weed! Death N Roll 355277
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 1:14 am

Rogue Angel wrote:
The Entombed material up until Serpents Saints was great. I love Entombed but this last album was cheese devil pandering cliche'd bullshite. Give me Wolverine Blues, To Ride...Uprising, Morning Star even Same Difference. THis last disc was shitty, even the production sucked. I think they spent all their kroner on weed!
Serpent Saints was their best since Wolverine Blues. great album.

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 8:58 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Many people credit Entombed with starting it.

That people should give a listen to some finnish bands like Xysma which play dirty death metal with classic rock riffs ... even Punget Stench take a lot from Sabbath in albums like 'Been Caught Buttering'.

Anyway, for me the best death'n'roll albums are 'Wolverine Blues' of course, and Gorefest's 'Soul Survivor'.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 8:59 am

Does Carcass "Black Star" count?
Back to top Go down

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am

The band GANDALF has Death N Roll down to a science...
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 am

I used to have Deuteronomium's 'Here To Stay' album, and it was death 'n roll. I didn't like it a whole lot, but I might like it a little more, now, since my tastes have evolved and broadened since then.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah, I'm really starting to get into this whole 'death n roll' thing. I need to expand my collection though. I was hoping to find out about some new bands playing this style. So far the only album I really have is Helltrain.

Did anyone check out that Helltrain sample? Thoughts?

I'll have to check into some of the bands mentioned here. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:24 am

troublemagnet wrote:

I always saw the last 2 Carcass releases as Death 'n' Roll albums.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:22 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Yeah, I'm really starting to get into this whole 'death n roll' thing. I need to expand my collection though. I was hoping to find out about some new bands playing this style. So far the only album I really have is Helltrain.

Got anything to trade? I'll give you that Vermin disc is you want it. It's just been collecting dust.

Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 12:34 pm

troublemagnet wrote:

If you're talking about the song "Black Star", then YES!!! Great tune, and a perfect example of the genre. If you're talking about Jeff Walker's post-Carcass band Black Star, don't bother - that SUCKED.

I am glad that Deuteronomium is re-issuing "Here To Stay" because I'd really like to hear it. I'm not a major Death n roll fan, but I like what I've heard of the style, and always thought it was a cool idea that should have been explored a bit more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Got anything to trade? I'll give you that Vermin disc is you want it. It's just been collecting dust.

Hey dude, thanks but I just traded off all my fodder earlier last month. I no longer have any trade cds. When I do though, I'll remember you and PM you a quick note, cool?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:45 am

The Entombed, Gorefest, and Carcass CD's mentioned above are all great. The Helltrain didn't grab me, I'll have to give it another try. Does anybody remember the Finnish band Convulse? They were one of the first bands that I remember being overtly marketed this way.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Hey dude, thanks but I just traded off all my fodder earlier last month. I no longer have any trade cds. When I do though, I'll remember you and PM you a quick note, cool?

You got it. That Vermin disc ain't going anywhere.

Death N Roll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death N Roll   Death N Roll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death N Roll
Page 1 of 1