Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Voivod

Go down 
+27
Boris2008
EmoElmo
adrian
Infinite
Tur-Thalion
Gilbert
jstate
Nico
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
BuzzPhil
Coma
Leatherface
mc666
Svengo
MetalGuy71
MetalFRO
FlyingV
sam
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
manny
Stender
metalken
Metallic Blaze
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Let's talk about this Canadian band. Who here likes them?
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:13 pm

I really like the stuff Voivod has come out with. All eras. I have a lifelong buddy, well 30 years plus, who does not share my opinion. Jerk calls them "Avoidvod" Rolling Eyes . Silly, silly man.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Love the early stuff like War and pain, ultra technical...matched anything out of the states in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:39 pm

very cool band and loved their cover of the obsure Pink Floyd song 'The Nile Song'
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Love these guys, sadly Dimension Hatross is the only one I still have. Would love to get Killing Technology again too, couple of great albums right there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:52 pm

The only VoiVod I have at the moment is NOTHINGFACE (love that "Astronomy Domine" cover...).

This is another band that my brother (the death/thrash guy in the family) frickin worshipped while we were growing up so I heard them constantly... to the point where I got kinda sick of'em after a while. The first couple are a little too noisy for me but I do dig the aforementioned NOTHINGFACE, bits of ANGEL RAT, and THE OUTER LIMITS ... even the (Snake-less) NEGATRON was pretty cool to my ears....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:53 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Love these guys, sadly Dimension Hatross is the only one I still have. Would love to get Killing Technology again too, couple of great albums right there.

I'll include burned copies of Angel Rat, The Outer Limits, and Nothing Face when I send out your comp CD's next week.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm a casual fan, like their more thrash oriented stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

I have their three latest releases. Have to admit the Newsted factor was a role in me checking these guys out again after many years.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:25 pm

The brilliant triumvirate of "Nothingface", "Angel Rat" and "The Outer Limits" make Voivod an essential band for any prog metal fan, and even some of their earlier thrash material was quite good ("Killing Technology" in particular). Never owned "Dimension Hatross", so I know I'm lacking there, but even their post-reformation stuff is good. Despite being a tad uninspired, the S/T w/ Belanger back on vox is a good listen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:53 pm

I don't care for their thrashier beginnings, mainly due to the vocals, but when they got more proggy & musical I learned to appreciate them more. Even the last few releases, which by most opinions have been more "rock" than "metal", sound good to me.

Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:00 pm

I pretty much love all their albums with the exception of Negatron (which I thought was largly uninspired and forced).

I even like the more recent discs that feature Piggy's posthumous playing. They're pretty far removed form their earlier albums but when you hear them they're unmistakably Voivod. I guess I've always loved the odd (for this style of music anyhow) guitar playing on their records. Piggy always seemed to have a really unique playing style. Their latest disc is supposed to be their last under the Voivod name. I started a thread for it a while back here:
https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/the-last-voivod-album-t9505.htm?highlight=voivod
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't care for their thrashier beginnings, mainly due to the vocals, but when they got more proggy & musical I learned to appreciate them more. Even the last few releases, which by most opinions have been more "rock" than "metal", sound good to me.
i'm the opposite. i prefer their earlier works. it seemed more real to me than their later material, although alot of it was good too. their last 3 albums have all but sucked ass though.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm fairly new to this band. I have picked up one early album (Dimension Hatross) and one recent one (Katorz).

I like them both almost equally. So I guess it's safe to say I like both eras.

What kind of music would you guys call Voivod?

I know they are progressive, but when I think of progressive metal, I think of Dream Theater and Symphony X - and Voivod is miles away from this sound.

I was thinking of them as 'progressive thrash'. What do you guys think about that?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I'm fairly new to this band. I have picked up one early album (Dimension Hatross) and one recent one (Katorz).

I know they are progressive, but when I think of progressive metal, I think of Dream Theater and Symphony X - and Voivod is miles away from this sound.

I was thinking of them as 'progressive thrash'. What do you guys think about that?

Yeah I would say they are techinal/progressive thrash.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Stender wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Yeah I would say they are techinal/progressive thrash.

Voivod 669452
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Good band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:01 pm

They're from my area, but quite frankly, even though I own most of their CDs, the only ones I play often are "Nothingface" and "Dimension Hatross". I'm like quite a few of the metal fans here - we've heard of the band, we respect them for what they accomplished, but we just don't listen to their discs too often. Actually, I'd say that people here will know Voivod for their Pink Floyd cover (the video could be seen often at MuchMusic, our equivalent of MTV). The main riff for "Tribal Convictions" was also used a while as the intro for Solidrok (our Headbanger's Ball), but I'm quite sure that most fans here have no clue it was taken from a Voivod song.

Fans outside Canada would think they're a big band here, but it's not really the case. They don't play much in Montreal, and I believe their fanbase is much stronger in Europe.

I think most of their local fanbase also didn't understand what happened after "Nothingface". It took quite some time for progressive metal to gain fans here, and the move they made with "Angel Rat" and especially "The Outer Limits" was a bit too much for the casual Montreal metal fan at that time.
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Voivod are definitely an unusual band. I didn't get into them right away. They had to grow on me in time.

I really like them now though.

Another band that they inspired, but are more of the death metal ilk, is Alchemist. Alchemist totally adores Voivod. They are from Australia though.
Back to top Go down

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:49 pm

I LOVE Voivod! I started listening to them around the time Killing Technology came out, then when Dimension Hatross was released that album turned me into a fanatic. I think that run of albums from Dimension through The Outer Limits is just about perfect. That's what I consider the "main course" of their catalog.

The albums without Snake are pretty good for the most part, but not the first things I would grab when wanting to hear Voivod.

The posthumous releases are okay, I think the most recent one is the best.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:36 pm

What do you guys think of "Katorz"?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:24 am

Voivod drummer Michel ‘Away’ Langevin has spoken to Classic Rock about the future of the band – and he admits he’s not sure if there will be any new material from the celebrated Canadians.
“To be honest, I have to think very seriously about whether I can actually come to terms with writing with someone else apart from Piggy (guitarist Denis D’Amour). Since he died in 2005, I have found it hard to come to terms with the thought of the band doing a new album. I spent 25 years writing with him.
“But then, so many people have said to me that we should carry on. One kid even told me: ‘Great bands do not stop.’ That made me think.”
Voivod are to release a live DVD around Christmas time. It’s titled Tatsumaki. Voivod. Japan. 2008. This was filmed and recorded in Tokyo last year, when the band toured with Testament.
Away has also just published a book of his artwork. It’s titled Worlds Away – Voivod And The Art Of Michel Langevin.
“We’ve printed 3,000 copies, and already sold over 1,000. I might make some money! Seriously, I hope to be working in some capacity on Voivod projects for years to come.”
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:33 am

All Ive been listening to lately, love em.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
BuzzPhil
Metal novice
Metal novice
BuzzPhil

Number of posts : 22

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Voivod is awesome!! They are why I'm proud of Quebec Metal!!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Coma said it very well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Voivod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod Icon_minitime