Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament

Go down 
+2
kmorg
DallasBlack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Empty
PostSubject: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:39 am

One thing I learned from my trip to see these guys is that once I can afford one, I must get a GPS because one wrong turn and it takes me forever to get back on track. I left so I could be two hours early but ended up one hour early but it turned out all right. However, on my trip back I ended up going the wrong way and when I saw a sign that said Oklahoma City (I live near Dallas TX) I had to make up for almost half an hour of going the wrong way (I left the venue at about 11:20 and got back around 1:30). I'll get to the review but first I had a strange encounter. Next to me at the front was an older man (about Lemmy's age) who was very talkative and a cool guy but had less brain cells than Ozzy. Definatly a long time stoner, I could only understand about half of what he said, but he was definatly a hoot and a half. Now on to the concert.

First up was Lazarus A.D. and they were quite the thrash band, not in the classic sense but much better than most modern thrash bands. The lead guitarist was particulary impressive with some great solo work. Most people there didn't know them but after they were done it was obvious that they made some new fans.

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Lazaru10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Lazaru11

Next up was Unearth. Up until now, I never heard these guys. I knew about them due to their hype but never listened because of all that type of hype being overdone. While they aren't anything new, their stage presence could not be ignored. The music was a mix of thrash, metalcore, and Fear Factory and they put on quite a show and the star had to be guitarist Ken Susi who was quite the character least of all due to his haircut which was a faux hawk with long side burns. His antics involved sticking his tongue down the thraot of an 18 year old chick (who was standing next to me), hocking a loogy into the crowd (I'm glad I was not in the path way of that-I don't enjoy being spit on), letting a string of snot hang from his nose while soloing, jumping up on speakers, and going out into the crowd. Not sure if I'd listen to these guys on a regular basis but they put on one hell of a show.

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Guitar10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart11
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart13
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart14
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart15

Finally it was the band I was here for. I had lost my position during Unearth from those teenage girls but they left (I figured they would, only real metal fans would be sticking around for Testament and I'm sure many were here just for Unearth) and I was back were I started. Testament was as awesome as I thought they would be. Chuck's voice was superb, Greg Christian's bass playing was great, Paul Bostaph was a monster behind the kit, and Alex and Eric shred the hell out of their guitars. Everybody seems to pay more attention to Alex, but Eric is quite the guitarist himself. Apart from being a great rhythm guitarist, he knows his was around a solo. The entire band put on a great performance and we got many great songs (not in order): Diciples Of The Watch, Practice What You Preach, The Preacher, More Than Meets The Eye, Into The Pit, Over The Wall, The Haunting, Burnt Offerings, The New Order, The Persecuted Won't Forget, Formation Of Damnation, and one other song that I could not remember (probably a song from Souls Of Black) nor do I know what it was called. Eric and Alex were throwing out pics but since I never seem to get any my way and I suck at catching I didn't attempt to get one however Eric had thrown one to me and it landed on my arm so I got a souvenir without even trying Very Happy . Great concert and the only thing that would have made it better would have been if they did Return To Serenity, but I kind of figured that wouldn't happen (since most Testament fans didn't like The Ritual).

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Eric__10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Alex__10
Eric and Alex

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Alex_s10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Alex_s11
Alex

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Chuck_10
Chuck and Eric Giving A Thumbs Up (to who, I don't know)

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Chuck_11
Chuck & Eric again

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Chuck_14
Chuck

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Eric_p10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Eric_p11
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Eric_p12
Eric

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Greg_c10
Greg (I tried to get a picture during a small bass solo but I accidently turned my camera off and by the time I turned it back on and got it to work, he had finished (maybe I need a better quality camera)

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Evil_c10
Chuck with some evil glowing eyes

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Chuck_15
Chuck playing air guitar with his mic stick (something I understand he always does)

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam11
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam12
The Whole Band (minus Paul Bostaph who was hidden behind his kit)

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Peters10Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Peters11
The pic I got from Eric
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:35 am

I got three shirts from this concert one of which was given to me by mistake and I didn't catch it until just now (which makes me extremely po'd at myself). I will sell this shirt for $15 (no S&H) which would sell for $5-10 more online or $10 more at a show. If there are any Unearth fans on here and the shirt looks like something you'd like, then PM me. They one I wanted was a Lazarus A.D. shirt and the design is of one that is out of stock online.

The Testament shirt I got front, back and on the sleeves:

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam13
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam15
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Testam14

The Unearth shirt I'm keeping:

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart18
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Uneart19

Here is the shirt I can't keep (mainly because of the words on the back which have been blacked out for the sake of this board:

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Mistak10
Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Mistak12
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 11:32 am

Testament is always a blast live. Such a killer band that should have been sooooo much bigger!

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I went to the Raleigh NC show and it was fantastic! Lazarus A.D. was just great! Unearth was boring, but that one guitar player was all over the place. Testament was simply amazing...loved every second of it!

My son got the Testament shirt w/ the crest and the state flags on the back w/ tour dates...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 pm

Sounds like a great time. I'm jealous.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks for the review and the photos!! Glad you had a great time even if you did make several wrong turns. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 am

Nice review, and cool pix. I haven't seen Testament since the LOW tour in '94, glad to hear they still kick it live.

Does Chuck Billy still do his gross on-stage trick where he spits a gob straight up into the air and then catches it in his mouth again?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Caught this one when I was in MN. Lazarus AD converted me that night! Great new thrash band that does a good live show.

We didn't even bother with Unearth. One of a multitude of metalcore bands. They have 3 or 4 songs from all their albums that I like, other than those....boring. We played a yard darts video game while they were on stage.

Testament was great! Chuck has this massive stage presence (not to mention he's just a REALLY big dude)! Me and Greg (DeathCult) hung out and shot the shyte with Eric, Chuck, and Alex after the show. Chuck was really cool and seemed to be a fun-lovin' dude. Eric was shorter than I thought (probably around 5'7" maybe). He had a touch of the "rockstar" to him, if you ask me. Alex was VERY cool, in my book. I talked to him for quite a bit.

Even ditchin' out on Unearth (or probably because OF it) it was a GREAT night!

Glad you had fun when you caught the show DB!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:02 am

thanks for the photos and review
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament   Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dallas Black's Review Of Lazarus A.D./Unearth/Testament
Page 1 of 1