Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Manilla Road

Go down 
+8
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Lari
kmorg
Dave the Boss
Stender
Required Fields
nevermore
12 posters
AuthorMessage
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 pm

I've been wanting to check out Manilla Road. Which album would be the best to pick up for those who are new to the band?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Crystal Logic.

I was actually just listening to that album this evening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

I've never heard these guys, in fact I don't think I ever heard of them until I got on this board.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 pm

I would say spiral castle to start, its a little darker than the earliar stuff but really good man.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 11:17 pm

detuned wrote:
I've never heard these guys, in fact I don't think I ever heard of them until I got on this board.

Buy Crystal Logic! You won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:11 am

That's a tough one. I love almost everything they've done, but my absolute faves are Crystal Logic, Open The Gates, The Deluge and Mystification. The great thing about Manilla Road is that no album sounds alike: Crystal Logic can sound a lot like early Rush at times, Open The Gates is much more of a traditional heavy metal record, The Deluge is thrashier and more technical than Open The Gates and Mystification has even more thrash influences than The Deluge. I'd suggest you'd listen to all of them though. Wink
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm

The only ones I have managed to get a hold on are the odd-ball albums. :lil: I keep wanting to hear the classics, but all I have found are the Invasion/Metal re-issue and Atlantic Rising.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks guys!!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 am

I only have the latest one, the Voyage, and I don't like it one bit. The vocals seem terrible and the production is awful.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:11 am

Lari wrote:
I only have the latest one, the Voyage, and I don't like it one bit. The vocals seem terrible and the production is awful.

I wouldn't say Voyager is as bad as you say it is, but it's definitely nowhere near the quality of the albums they did in the 80s. Smile
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 am

Out of the Abyss is a great album

SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:34 am

I've heard multiple times that Out Of The Abyss would be right up my alley, as it's almost pure thrash. Never heard it, though. Think I'm gonna look it up and try it...

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 am

Lari wrote:

The singer is admittedly one of the great acquired tastes in metal Smile The production values...well, they're an underground group so not many of their albums have top flight production values.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm

I won a copy of Crystal logic off ebay. Just waiting on it to arrive.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
That's a tough one. I love almost everything they've done, but my absolute faves are Crystal Logic, Open The Gates, The Deluge and Mystification. The great thing about Manilla Road is that no album sounds alike: Crystal Logic can sound a lot like early Rush at times, Open The Gates is much more of a traditional heavy metal record, The Deluge is thrashier and more technical than Open The Gates and Mystification has even more thrash influences than The Deluge. I'd suggest you'd listen to all of them though. Wink

I totaly agree, those are my fave albums too 🤘
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Ok, I finally heard Out Of The Abyss from these guys. Boy, people weren't kidding, this album is thrash madness! The opener Whitechapel is fast and vicious!!

How does the rest of their catalogue compare to Out Of The Abyss?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 am

Eh, it's not thrash? The albums I own is pure classic metal/power metal.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Ok, I finally heard Out Of The Abyss from these guys. Boy, people weren't kidding, this album is thrash madness! The opener Whitechapel is fast and vicious!!

How does the rest of their catalogue compare to Out Of The Abyss?
the other albums i have by them are decent, but not thrash. more traditional metal. Abyss was definitely the jaw dropper of the bunch.

mikeict
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:48 am

for those interested in manilla road check out my youtube page with several manilla road videos the link is below

https://www.youtube.com/user/bobafett39?feature=mhum
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks. Will check it out.

Manilla Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manilla Road   Manilla Road Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manilla Road
Page 1 of 1