Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hibria - The Skull Collector

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It's just not something I think I'd come back to after a few spins. I'd get it, listen to it, then shelve it for a few months. Eh, maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I know I've done it in the past with bands like this.

I'll probably only listen to it a few times too, but that's a few more than I am willing to listen to most of the power metal scene today. I still think this sounds quite a bit better than your PRIMAL FEARs, DREAM EVILs, FIREWINDs, etc.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm

ToB,

A serious question, why do you classify Hibria as power metal?

In my opinion, bands like Primal Fear, Hammerfall and Hibria are playing straight traditional heavy metal.

My definition of power metal means keyboards are used. Falconer, Freedom Call, Power Quest, etc. exemplify power metal for me.

If Hibria and Primal Fear aren't heavy metal in your book, can you supply examples of who is?

Just curious...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:57 am

tohostudios wrote:
why do you classify Hibria as power metal?

I think most people do. That's what their genre is listed as on Metal-Archives.com, for example.

Quote :

In my opinion, bands like Primal Fear, Hammerfall and Hibria are playing straight traditional heavy metal.

I think PF and HF at times tend to veer over into major keys and get quite a bit "happier" and "cornier" than traditional heavy metal. They are in-between traditional metal and Euro-power metal (which I call "flower metal").

Quote :
My definition of power metal means keyboards are used. Falconer, Freedom Call, Power Quest, etc. exemplify power metal for me.

I don't listen to those bands so I don't know. I would assume they play flower metal. Keys aren't a consideration IMHO. Deep Purple is a hard rock/blues rock/metal band and they have keys too.

Quote :

If Hibria and Primal Fear aren't heavy metal in your book, can you supply examples of who is?

Hibria have elements of heavy metal and flower metal, just like LOST HORIZON. Real metal is stuff like BLACK SABBATH, WARLORD, DIAMOND HEAD, JUDAS PRIEST, etc. etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Haven't we been over this? Cool Traditional power metal was Armored Saint, Metal Church, Vicious Rumors and other bands of that ilk. Walking that fine line of traditional metal and thrash. Modern power metal is more the european style or even a Kamelot. Flower metal as TOB says but I like some of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm

So I finally got this album for cheap, what, 6 months later? Anyone else get this and have opinions. This is in the same vein as Crescent Shield and Pharaoh to me which I like both of a lot.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Good bump. Not gotten it yet, but will. It's been targeted.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

This is on my high priority wantlist! Haven't seen it anywhere!

PostSubject: Re: Hibria - The Skull Collector   Hibria - The Skull Collector - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hibria - The Skull Collector
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2